Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Eyelet Fabric >

Eyelet Fabric

Eyelet Fabric

Old 03-12-2015, 03:00 AM

I made my GD a quilt out of eyelet -they were all Easter pastels. I bought darker shades of each so they peeked through. It is quite pretty. It really was easy to do. Both fabrics were on the thin side so there wasn't to much bulk. The back was made with the left over solids and spring flowers. I took all the left over eyelet and pieced them into a long chain and did the same with the floral's and made a ruffle for the edges. I have 4 GD's and only one is a girly-girl.
Old 03-12-2015, 03:24 AM

I don't know why you couldn't use eyelet- I think I would use either a piece of bleached white muslin or a piece of sheer fabric under the eyelet as a foundation. I think the lace would look great! You would be able to pillow case it easily if you use the muslin or sheer or some color that would go with both eyelet fabrics as the lining. I believe you mentioned pink, as one of the colors, I think that if you could use very thin pink satin ribbons to tie it with that would really set it off along with the lace. I like Mrs Heirloom' s idea of using polar fleece that would make a great batting/lining and definitely make your friend a quilt warm.I think it would look lovely if you can find the lace that you run ribbon through and run pink ribbon through it, either around the quilt or on a solid piece of fabric and use it to sash your blocks some how. Be sure to share.

Last edited by Gerbie; 03-12-2015 at 03:40 AM.
Old 03-12-2015, 03:26 AM

Originally Posted by Stitchit123 View Post
I made my GD a quilt out of eyelet -they were all Easter pastels. I bought darker shades of each so they peeked through. It is quite pretty. It really was easy to do. Both fabrics were on the thin side so there wasn't to much bulk. The back was made with the left over solids and spring flowers. I took all the left over eyelet and pieced them into a long chain and did the same with the floral's and made a ruffle for the edges. I have 4 GD's and only one is a girly-girl.
I'll bet it is just lovely- do you happen to have a picture of the quilt?
Old 03-12-2015, 03:51 AM

Being a sewer prior to being a quilter I have used lots of eylet. In order to use eylet for a quilt, you
need to line it with something lightweight that will show through the holes and cover the batting. I would
spray baste with 505 or something like that the eylet and lightweight liner fabric and then cut and sew as if there
were only one layer. It should not be more trouble if you treat it as I piece. Should be beautiful.
Old 03-12-2015, 05:10 AM

You have a lot of response on the use of eyelet (that was your question though) but I have concern on a double layer of high loft batting and birthing that. That's a lot of fluff to get through the space allowed to turn it all. Too, when she's carrying this into the dialysis facility, she may look like she's ready to camp out there? I've used enough fleece for backs or simply for throws that I'd go with that if it's to be something portable. Too, I'm going to suggest that you can use the skinniest of ribbon to tie the quilt as it would certainly add femininity to the quilt and goes along with the eyelet. I've done that on a baby quilt and it's darling. Make the bows big enough that you can knot them over so they won't come untied.
Old 03-12-2015, 05:40 AM

Hi DonnaFreak. All of that Eyelet sounds wonderful (reminds me of my dress for my first date - god was a boy and dirt was new and clean - the dress was pink). Back to your question when using Eyelet fabrics, they always have to be lined. Because everything under the Eyelet will show (or come out the holes). Now you can use a lightweight cotton, in the same color or even a complementary color. The nice thing about this is the fabric can be too light for a block, but great for a foundation. Because all it's doing is keeping the batting from coming out the holes. Your friend will love this and you are so thoughtful. Good luck
Old 03-12-2015, 05:43 AM

Making a throw is a great idea. My FIL always complained how cold it was during the dialysis. I just wonder about the safety of eyelet fabric. Is there a chance it could catch on any of the medical "stuff" and pull it out? I don't mean to be negative just looking at all angles.
Old 03-12-2015, 06:49 AM

As a former dialysis patient (thank God for good friends who are willing to donate a kidney!!!) I would be careful what you make the quilt out of. I would use something that would take lots and lots of washings. You never know what will get spilled or splattered on the quilt. You do get very cold on dialysis and I found the warmest thing to cover up in was fleece. Maybe you could back it with fleece or make the whole thing fleece. I don't want to take away from your creativity but keep in mind this will be used, abused, dropped on the floor, spilled on and generally worn.
Old 03-12-2015, 08:56 AM

I made a baby quilt with white eyelet and backed it with an ivory muslin, worked out very nicely. The rest of your idea is perfect, go for it!
Old 03-12-2015, 09:19 AM

When growing up I used a crochet bedspread my grandmother made and had a mint green blanket under it showing through and it was beautiful, so I would put your moms favorite color (my mothers was blue) under the eyelet and make away, and the ruffle sounds good. It should be easy to do if your birthing the quilt.