Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric allergy >

Fabric allergy

Fabric allergy

Old 04-27-2014, 10:29 AM

I sneeze if I stay in the Fabric store to long! I do wash my fabric when I purchase so I don't have the problem at home.
Old 04-27-2014, 10:58 AM

I tend to sneeze and cough in the fabric stores also---I have an email friend that also says she coughs a lot when she goes into them. It may be the lint or whatever coming from the fabric that is bothering me. This is the first time in years of living in Alaska that this has happened and the only thing new in my life is this fabric. If it isn't the fabric than it is an odd coincidence.
Originally Posted by luvstoquilt View Post
I sneeze if I stay in the Fabric store to long! I do wash my fabric when I purchase so I don't have the problem at home.
Old 04-27-2014, 04:54 PM

You say that this fabric was a "private" sale and not from a store. Could it be that the fabric came from someone who either had pets (dander is basically invisible and that is the stuff on pets that cause allergies) or someone smoked around the fabrics. Just a thought. Wash the fabric as soon as you can. The small pieces can be put in a mesh bag or pillow case and either hand washed or put into your machine on gentle. You shouldn't get too much fraying this way.

I get cracks in my thumbs (by the nail corners) when I handle a lot of fabric. I think this is because of the sizing/dyes. Sometimes I will wheeze when in fabric stores or even clothes stores. I've always attributed this to the dyes and I make sure I carry my inhaler.

Hope you are feeling better! Here in the northeast we've had a winter to beat all winters (extreme cold and tons of snow). Now we have rain and mud. Lots of molding leaves in addition to budding plants = lots of allergies up here. Sometimes I hate spring...
Old 04-28-2014, 03:33 AM

I just saw last week a pattern to make your own Cloth face masks like the toss away ones... cute fabrics they used... can't remember where I saw it but saved it somewhere on my Computer LOL.
Old 04-28-2014, 04:02 AM

Originally Posted by liking quilting View Post
It may not be the fabric. As soon as the snow starts melting, decaying of leaves etc. kicks in. I start to suffer with allergies each year as that season hits (well before tree pollen begins). It's the mold/mildew effect for me and time to get on Zyrtec for a couple of months.
I'm thinking not the fabric, either, unless you've had problems before. I'd guess trees or something that doesn't appear to actually be out yet. Did you check for pollen in your area? Kenai doesn't have the cold weather that the center part of the state does, so I'd guess spring might arrive earlier than farther north. I'd assume something in the air unless you've had problems before.

I've had problems this year with birch. Started 2 weeks ago on Monday afternoon. It was weird. I thought it was a cold until finally on Tues. afternoon I happened to think, "Is this an allergy" since it came on in such a strange way. Sure enough, I checked and the birch trees had started releasing their pollen on Monday in our area (Warsaw, Poland). I've rarely had problems with allergies, so it was a real surprise to me.

But I suppose you could develop an allergy to fabric finishes...I don't think we are too old to do so and maybe even may get one where we didn't used to have one.
Old 04-28-2014, 04:26 AM

I also had problems with new fabric and my doctor said there is lots of chemicals in fabric for shipping from overseas to prevent bugs and whatever with the main one being formaldyhide and to always wash as soon as we bring into the house that is for new clothes from overseas as well especially underclothes
Old 04-28-2014, 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by Trippgal View Post
given the time of year, and the fact the snow has been sitting on the ground for so long, it may very well be mold or spores that are releasing as the snow melts and the ground is exposed. I ended up miserable when I went to university every spring as the snow melted. The doctors saw it every spring and were used to people lining up at the clinics in town with with they affectionately nicknamed "snow mold" allergies. It was bad for people with reduced immune systems as it manifested as bronchitis, pneumonia, and a hospital stay.
I have a friend that is highly sensitive to the sizing in fabric and washes everything--and tries to stay away from those of us that don't. But I also just read that the "polar vortex" that hit our part of the country very hard this year is also causing a "pollen vortex"--not to mention the mold allergies. Our household has been hit hard--my 27 yr old son even spent a week in the hospital with respiratory problems--infection that kicked his allergies and asthma into high gear, big time. So it could be either or both for you.
Old 04-28-2014, 06:50 AM

I have a serious problem from the formaldehyde on new fabrics- last month my hands got severely burned--- blistered and peeled from unpacking a tote of fabric... Usually its just allergy symptoms but not this time! My fingertips are still tender.
Old 04-28-2014, 07:12 AM
Power Poster

I posted before about the possible side effects of taking a small child to a fabric store. My granddaughter's eyes started burning when we walked into a fabric store. I've seen many infants pawing their eyes when around the fabric bolts. Many posters replied that was silly. I still say never take an infant or small child to a fabric store until they are old enough to talk. I've been in some fabric stores and my eye would water.

Last edited by Onebyone; 04-28-2014 at 07:15 AM.
Old 04-28-2014, 07:47 AM

Had the same problem with some outdoor fabric I was working on this past winter. Everyday I came down to work on it I would start sneezing continually, head all stuffed up, just dragged out. Was never so glad when I got the project finished the the leftover fabric stored away. I still have some sneezing when I come down to work with cotton fabrics but I won't give up my hobby. Same goes with the kitty as I also sneeze around her too. Won't give her up either. There are some things we just won't do without due to our love for it.