Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric allergy >

Fabric allergy

Fabric allergy

Old 04-26-2014, 08:41 AM

Default Fabric allergy

During the last couple of weeks I have been working with some Moda fabrics that I bought from Craftsy and didn't think about this until I went to the Dr. as I was feeling terrible and they told me it was probably an allergy. The snow is barely gone and no pollen yet to bother me and the only thing I can think of is an allergy to whatever treatment was done to this fabric. I know others have commented on this and I'm wondering if you have hay fever type symptoms---sinus pressure, lack of energy, coughing/sneezing, etc. Would sure like to know as that is the only thing I can think of for my reaction.
Old 04-26-2014, 08:48 AM

It could very well be the fabric. I've had some difficulties with fabric that I've bought from others and from stores. It all depends upon where and how it has been stored. Another reason for washing all fabric as it comes into house. Do hope you solve your problems and you're feeling better soon.
Old 04-26-2014, 08:59 AM
Power Poster

quick, wash it! Twice!
Old 04-26-2014, 09:02 AM

I usually pre-wash larger pieces of fabric but this was layer cakes and a 3yd fabric and just never thought of prewashing the larger fabric and usually never pre-cuts. Never had this problem before and seeing posts about how fabrics are treated I can't help but think it was the fabrics causing the problem. Just never had such a reaction before. Now to get through putting it together and washing the quilt.
Old 04-26-2014, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
quick, wash it! Twice!
Hard to do now that it is all cut into 2-1/2" pieces---from the layer cakes and the one larger piece. But will certainly wash after it is finally quilted and bound.
Old 04-26-2014, 09:51 AM

Wonder if wearing a mask and/or lots of wet wipes close by to keep your hands clear would help[ ease the process of working with it?
Old 04-26-2014, 10:18 AM

I would think if it was a true allergy just touching the fabric would cause a rash, if something in the fabric you are allergic to. I break out in hives when I touch something I am allergic to, If it is nasal allergies it is something in the air, that you are breathing it in and causing lots of sinus issues.
Old 04-26-2014, 10:47 AM

I always wash my fabrics right away because it burns my eyes and nose. I know I have that reaction to a mildew repellent that they put into fabrics. I have had my hands turn red and itch after rubbing new fabrics before it was washed. I had a clerk in a fabric shop tell me she had to go to the emergency room after work one night after unpacking and stocking some new fabrics because her hands turned red and started breaking out in very painful blisters. I hope you find out what your problem is and feel better soon.
Old 04-26-2014, 11:13 AM

If I were you, I would wash all fabric as soon as you bring it home from now on. In the mean time, Try the masks while working on this quilt & maybe even gloves. Or be sure to wash your hands good after handling the fabric. If you don't have access to a mask, you can use a cotton tea towel tied your face like a robber would use. Hee, Hee. I have that problem when they crop dust around here & I live in a small farming community. When I hear the planes buzzing, I stay inside & if I have to go out for some reason I always use a mask & keep a few in my car just in case. If I don't within just a few hours of breathing this in I will end up with bronchial Pneumonia. It hits me that fast. All allergies don't cause a rash. They can have a different affect on different people.
Old 04-26-2014, 11:27 AM

It may not be the fabric. As soon as the snow starts melting, decaying of leaves etc. kicks in. I start to suffer with allergies each year as that season hits (well before tree pollen begins). It's the mold/mildew effect for me and time to get on Zyrtec for a couple of months.