Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
fabric buyers regret >

fabric buyers regret

fabric buyers regret

Old 02-13-2013, 07:05 AM

Since I am a quilter people give me fabric. Some is so thin you can read through it. I use those for foundation for scrappy quilts instead of using paper to keep it stable. You don't have to take it out later. Sometimes I use some of those odd fabrics for pieced backs. Depending on how you do it it can make the quilt reversible.
Sometimes you just have a fabric that are a "what was I thinking" fabric. If you can't think of how to use it, ask a quilting friend for ideas, trade it, sell it, donate it. It will help get rid of the guilt and give you space.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:34 AM

Three friends and I got together and brought all those fabrics that we didn't like. I had some really horrible stuff that my friend got really excited about because it was just what she needed for a UFO in her stash. And I got a couple of really beautiful graphic prints that my friend said she'd never find a use for. What was left over we donated to the local Goodwill.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:40 AM

I think we have all done that. I have tried to be better. I've used alot of mine as quilt backing for charity quilts instead of going out and buying something else. I've traded with friends and sold at my guilds annual sale we have. Keep a box/bag where you can put these items that you're not crazy about anymore so if your guild does a sale you are ready. I started doing this a few years ago and have gotten rid of alot of stuff I'm not going to use and the ladies bot it all.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:45 AM

When I was reorganizing my stash last year I found several tubs worth of fabric that I no longer loved...so I made a call to the local high school...they still have a "home ec" class offering...the teacher was thrilled to have the fabrics...she said that many of the students cannot afford to buy fabrics for projects...she gladly added my donation to her classroom stash...she called sometime later and said that a couple of the students had completed small quilts....
Old 02-13-2013, 10:18 AM

loved hearing all the comments. Maybe we need to use that hoarded fabric and turn it into a watercolor quilt or garden quilt. Use up all those colors. Just a thought
Old 02-13-2013, 01:05 PM

Yes, put it for sale on the board. Someone amy need it. I use alot of my fabric for the quilt backing instead of buying more. Use what you have!

Last edited by sewingsuz; 02-13-2013 at 01:07 PM.
Old 02-13-2013, 02:35 PM

There is a lady on e-bay liquating her Aunts extensive fabric stash and there are lots of good buys on some pretty quilting/craft fabrics. Saw some I would love but no more room to store it. If anyone is looking for a good buy on some pretty, some are large enough for quilt backs, give her a look.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-25yd-12p...90542349708%26
Old 02-13-2013, 07:07 PM

That's the type of fabric I use for backings. I don't care what's on the back as long as its good quality.
Old 02-15-2013, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by chairjogger View Post
while organizing my stash.. I found there are things I always put as far away as possible, knowing I will not use the fabric anytime soon. Fabric I bought, but just don't really like.. Or, maybe not have the right use for it.

UFO fabric??? always Under Fabric organizer !! nearly out of site.

no, not fun finds.. just Buyer remorse.

anyone else?
You can always donate those fabrics to your local quilt guild, senior citizens center or church quilt group as they are normally always making donation quilts for local needs.
Old 02-15-2013, 04:17 PM

Default Quiltvilles Bonnie Hunter

[QUOTE=chairjogger;5854631]while organizing my stash.. I found there are things I always put as far away as possible, knowing I will not use the fabric anytime soon. Fabric I bought, but just don't really like.. Or, maybe not have the right use for it.

UFO fabric??? always Under Fabric organizer !! nearly out of site.

Bonnie Hunter says, If your fabric is still ugly when sewn in a quilt, you didn't cut it small enough. I found out beauty is in the eye of the beholder. One of my ugliest fabrics showed up on the cover of a quilting book - talk about shocked!!! And no, it wasn't called the Ugly Quilt Book. lol
Can you imagine???
Judi