Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric Buying Dilemma >

Fabric Buying Dilemma

Fabric Buying Dilemma

Old 01-01-2012, 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
I buy quilt kits. I'm not too good at picking out a pattern and then finding all the fabric that matches. I have over 50 quilt kits plus a storage unit with 5 shelves, two dressers, and 6 large rubbermaid tubs full of just fabrics. I purchased all this fabric and kits in the last two years so they are up to date fabrics. I don't use the fabric much, just the kits. I go online to buy new kits and fabric even though it's ridiculous as I will never use 1/4 of what I have now. I'm offering to give away some of my kits to a few women who wrote threads about not being able to afford to buy fabric. I'm hoping they take me up on the offer. Most quilters have way too much fabric and if I read about a quilter needing fabric, I'm thrilled to be able to share.
Jeanne from Cove, Oregon...
I too like you describe have difficulty with envisioning fabric + design equaling a GREAT quilt. Your offer to share your stash/kits with others who are unable to continue with their love of quilting due to economic times is so wonderful .... you make my heart swell this first day of 2012. Generosity must be your middle name.
Old 01-01-2012, 07:12 AM

I have a very sufficent stash, but there are times when the stash is ..well .. un-inspiring! So I go and get a few pieces to bring the stash to life !
There is something about a fresh cut of fabric that breathes new life into a lack-luster project and quilter!
Old 01-01-2012, 07:31 AM

Oh my goodness....my LQS is having their 1.00 fat qtr sale...everything in the shop...I promised I would not buy any fabric this year except for their 1.00 sale that happens several times a year...I did not think they were going to do it today...what to do....I have a lot now but I am using up all of my baklics (however its spelled) on a quilt I started yesterday for my brother. I love the look....so know that I will want to make another one. they are normally 2.75 a fat qtr.
Old 01-01-2012, 05:47 PM

I was lucky - I've been building my stash for a long time and hardly spent anything on Christmas presents this year. But, I DO go and buy occasional specific things - like cupcake fabric for an apron for my dil. I need to use stuff up - economics make a fabric buying moratorium and absolute necessity. I WISH I could go and buy pretty new stuff, but...
Old 01-01-2012, 06:00 PM

I was reading the original post and I'm laughing to myself.... not at the price of the fabric because I'm in the same boat as everybody else... but I'm laughing because I also scrapbook and I do the same thing with this too! I have SOOOO much scrapbooking paper that it's ridiculous! If it's on sale... I BUY IT!!!! Seriously, it's an addiction! I've been better the last few months but I still have a ton of paper! As for my fabric stash... it's not near as big so right now I'm just buying for specific projects but I'm sure it won't be long until I have the same "problem"
Old 01-01-2012, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by Helena View Post
Interesting question - what is the age of the oldest quilter out there? I am 72 and have been experiencing what I believe to be arthritis in my hands and wrists. There are so many quilts I want to do while I am still able.
I guess I have the same problems with my hands as well as Fibromyalgia. However I am older and will be 83 at the end of this month. Still plan to keep trucking along. Anne
Old 01-01-2012, 06:09 PM

I pay under 5.00 a yard for my fabrics and all from LQS - I buy when they have specials all the time...several times a year its everything in the shop and also there is a yearly event were a bunch of local quilt shops rent space at a local hotel and have huge sales...all around 5.00 a yard. I have bought a lot over the year thinking prices are going to go up but every month I see wonderful sales...so there are plently of affordable quality fabrics out there there..and many have websites so they are available everywhere...even international shipping though some have stopped shipping international due to lost shipments to many times.
Old 01-01-2012, 09:45 PM

Default I think you need to buy what's on sale if you like it.

With all the sales, it's hard to resist. My husband asked if I was becoming a fabric whore. HeeHee! He already knew I am a ribbon a whore, the latter having to do with my basket business.
Old 01-02-2012, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
I buy quilt kits. I'm not too good at picking out a pattern and then finding all the fabric that matches. I have over 50 quilt kits plus a storage unit with 5 shelves, two dressers, and 6 large rubbermaid tubs full of just fabrics. I purchased all this fabric and kits in the last two years so they are up to date fabrics. I don't use the fabric much, just the kits. I go online to buy new kits and fabric even though it's ridiculous as I will never use 1/4 of what I have now. I'm offering to give away some of my kits to a few women who wrote threads about not being able to afford to buy fabric. I'm hoping they take me up on the offer. Most quilters have way too much fabric and if I read about a quilter needing fabric, I'm thrilled to be able to share.
That is a most generous thing to offer. You brought tears to my eyes as I remembered my grandmother who passed many years ago. She loved to sew and quilt and on a very limited income of only social security managed to give me 3 quilts one Christmas for our 3 sons. I still have 2 of those quilts and spent some time New Years Day replacing shredded blocks on one of them. She used to ask for my sewing scraps which I gladly gave, and judging from the quilts so did many others in her church group. Those quilts are now over 40 years old and though they are simple they were pieced entirely by hand, and quilted by hand. I dont know now whether she had a sewing machine available, but I sure regret not paying more attention. Those of us who have a need to create and share will always need to do so, your offer to others who may be in circumstances as my grandmother makes my heart glad. Blessings and Happy New Year to YOU!
Old 01-02-2012, 09:40 AM

I stated on this board last week that I needed not to purchase any more fabric and that I was going to work on all the quilt kits, panels and other fabric and projects that I had already. The very next day I went to our LQS with my daughter who received a gift card for Christmas. All she bought a pattern. I found some darling fabric that was almost gone and purchased a yard each. No pattern in mind but just knew I needed that fabric. Sheesh. I think it is a disease!