Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric Buying Dilemma >

Fabric Buying Dilemma

Fabric Buying Dilemma

Old 12-31-2011, 07:55 AM

I have a stash that I will never be able to use before I pass. I still buy more and probably should join qa (not AA). When I do buy a fabric that I like I buy maybe 3 yards so that I have enough for any quilt I want to make
Old 12-31-2011, 08:00 AM

I just posted a thread about Missouri Star Quilt company and the daily deals that I can't seem to resist. Sometimes I'll put things in my car at CT or Thousands of Bolts and not continue. I guess I get a rush just putting them in my cart. I really need nothing.
Old 12-31-2011, 08:01 AM

I'm like a lot of you! I used from my stash this year, only buying the one piece I needed to finish the project, and it truly was only one piece! This year I am going to do the same until some of this ridiculous amount of fabric is gone! Winter is when I really quilt the most, so hopefully I will be able to see a dent by the end of June. The rise in prices may be right in line with inflation, but it's tooooooo expensive for me!

Happy New Year!
Old 12-31-2011, 08:05 AM

I really need a long arm. I have three tops that need to be quilted but I refuse to pay 100 or more.
Old 12-31-2011, 08:26 AM

Interesting question - what is the age of the oldest quilter out there? I am 72 and have been experiencing what I believe to be arthritis in my hands and wrists. There are so many quilts I want to do while I am still able.
Old 12-31-2011, 08:46 AM

I am trying to use my stash and economise, but the urge is always there to keep buying fabric.
Old 12-31-2011, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by pinkberrykay View Post
SInce I am new to quilting I don't have a large stash. That being said I would like one a little larger then what I have now, but I hate buying things that are on sale just b/c they are on sale with no clear picture as to what I would actually use it for. All I see is dollar signs floating over my small stash of fabrics I have bought and not yet used. I have a cart full of fabrics at CT with some batting, definitely getting the batting but now sure about the fabric.
When I first decided to take up quilting I bought up bits and pieces without having the faintest idea what they would grow up to be. Many of them are still folded neatly (by color) in my plastic drawer files, but once in a while the oddest one will be just what is needed. I tend to be motivated by pictures of quilts I want to emulate, and often make them up in not-dissimilar colors to the photo -- I'm not an "original" person, methinks. What I spent too much money on was quilting books! So long as you don't spend a lot per fabric piece it seems like a pretty harmless thing to me...
Old 12-31-2011, 11:03 AM

I was so good this past year and hope to continue next year. Oh, that's right. I ordered from Missioui Quilt this morning. Never mind. Sometimes I put sale fabric in my cart on line then go to check out and when I see the shipping, I empty my cart. Happy New Year to all my quilting family out there.
Old 12-31-2011, 12:42 PM

For me this is the year of DE STASH until I see something I absolutely cannot live without. If I need a fabric to fill in on the ones already planned, I will purchase it, otherwise I plan to use up what I have. Unfortunately Uncle Sam thinks my cost of living only rose 3% which of course many things skyrocketed, so I will be watching my expenditures very closely this year. Hopefull if we have a change of Political Parties in this year things might get better, they cant get much worse!! Happy New Year to All.
Old 12-31-2011, 04:45 PM

I usually buy fabric for a specific project but I always seem to buy too much. Always afraid I'll cut and/or measure something wrong and won't have enough to finish. I'm wanting to do a scrappy string quilt so I've been cruising around on Ebay and buying a yard or two of really bright fabric to go along with what I have. I have to buy everything online since our closest fabric store is 80 miles away.