Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric Buying Dilemma >

Fabric Buying Dilemma

Fabric Buying Dilemma

Old 12-30-2011, 06:44 AM

I mostly buy online and always sale fabric. I have to take into account the cost of shipping to Canada. I have been trying to buy neutrals in several yards for backing fabric. As well batting is much less expensive online than in Canada. I would like to start stocking up on solids in colors that I use a lot of such as black, brown, white, and cream. Now I just need to find somewhere to but it all!
Old 12-30-2011, 06:58 AM

My LQS offers a discount half your age during the 10 days around your birthday. I stock up then and am glad when my discount goes up every year!
Old 12-30-2011, 07:01 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

I buy quilt kits. I'm not too good at picking out a pattern and then finding all the fabric that matches. I have over 50 quilt kits plus a storage unit with 5 shelves, two dressers, and 6 large rubbermaid tubs full of just fabrics. I purchased all this fabric and kits in the last two years so they are up to date fabrics. I don't use the fabric much, just the kits. I go online to buy new kits and fabric even though it's ridiculous as I will never use 1/4 of what I have now. I'm offering to give away some of my kits to a few women who wrote threads about not being able to afford to buy fabric. I'm hoping they take me up on the offer. Most quilters have way too much fabric and if I read about a quilter needing fabric, I'm thrilled to be able to share.
Old 12-30-2011, 08:20 AM

I do not have a very big stash as such. Mine is mostly scraps, not quarter or half yards. I tend to not buy fabric unless I have a specific quilt in mind. I don't have room for storing fabrics.
Old 12-30-2011, 08:26 AM

I think I have enough to get me through the year, I do not have a lot of fabric but I do have enough to get me through more than a enough quilts and a few other projects I have in mind. The only thing I will be buying is a few backings when the time comes.
Its hard to resist the temptation when looking online and seeing all the beautiful fabrics- Sigh my vice was shoes now its fabric........
Old 12-30-2011, 09:34 AM

I have been shopping like crazy, taking advantage of the year end sales and inventory clearance. I've only been quilting 3 years, so I don't have a huge stash, but it's getting there. I have several quilting sets stored away in containers for this next year to work on, so I'm not really buying tons of stuff. I saw a log cabin quilt somewhere; may have been here, don't remember...anyway...that was all made from homespun and wovens. So, that's what I've been working on. I'm ordering 1/2 yard cuts of as many different colored plaids and checks as I can find on clearance.
Last night, I found another site that had the solid wovens on clearance, so I added in a few of those too. Can't wait to get started on this one. I thought it was a really pretty quilt!!
Old 12-30-2011, 09:46 AM
Power Poster

I'm planning a day trip to Marshall's Dry Goods fabric warehouse next week with a couple of friends. I stock up on solids and blenders. I buy several bolts of fabric that will be backing fabrics for future quilts. This way of buying, I can buy fat quarter bundles, layer cakes and 1/2 cuts for focus fabrics at regular price and still save money. Quilt in a Day is having a great sale now as well as Connecting Threads. I am blessed to not have to have a quilting budget but I'm frugal when it comes to spending my money.
Old 12-30-2011, 09:50 AM
Power Poster

I am using from my stash right now. Not only because of the prices but also as a personal challenge to use what I once "had to have."
Old 12-30-2011, 11:24 AM

oooo, that hits home to me madquilter. I'm going to keep telling myself that to stay on track.
Originally Posted by MadQuilter View Post
I am using from my stash right now. Not only because of the prices but also as a personal challenge to use what I once "had to have."
Old 12-30-2011, 11:24 AM

I got about 22 yds of all cotton fabric for quilting on a trip to Hawaii 2 weeks ago. It was my first visit to this fabric store. All that I got was only $ 4.99 a yd. What a deal. My DDIL told me she'll get me more when I need it. How lucky am I?