Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric Buying Dilemma >

Fabric Buying Dilemma

Fabric Buying Dilemma

Old 12-30-2011, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by littlesurfer View Post
I'm also considering buying more fabric. I received a Connecting Threads Gift Certificate and would like to use it for some thread and batik fabrics. I just received a CT Email advertising a year-end clearance sale, but the batiks and threads are still at regular prices, although they do have very reasonable pricing. I don't know if I should wait or go ahead a purchase now. Anyone else buying fabrics?
I just bought thread from CT yesterday. I think it was at least 30% off. I would avoid their fabric, I've been unhappy with the quality, though I have not used any of their batiks.
Old 12-30-2011, 02:30 PM

Unfortunately my favorite part of quilting is "the hunt". Love to spend time in shops looking at the fabric and thinking of the possibilities. I seldom buy anything that isn't on sale unless it's a special yard to complete a gift. Fabric shopping and lunch out with my best friend - there's no better estrogen therapy. What I find interesting is the yard of fabric you just had to have, you come home and put it with your stash. When you go back to that stash, vowing you won't buy even a fat quarter to complete the project, you still don't have exactly what you want/need. When it comes right down to it, I probably have more fabric than I'll ever use in a lifetime. On 3/30/12, I'm taking early retirement at age 59. I hope to make a decent dent in my stash. Fabricholics unit! Happy New Year folks!
Old 12-31-2011, 04:40 AM
Swap Hosts

I will never, ever pay $12-15 / yard for fabric. Never! Right now I have so much fabric that it will be a miracle if I am able to use it all before I die. And that's with sharing with my future DIL! With the exception of special fabric that I bought online for a quilt for my son at $7.99/yd, I never pay more than $3.99/yard - and cheaper than that is better.

I shop at Joann especially the Red Dot section when it's 50% off. I've gotten lots of quality Debbie Mumm, batiks and other designers and the quality has been top notch - which I can't say about the pricier stuff I've purchased online. I also shop at Walmart but I will admit you have to check the designs to be sure there isn't a logo mixed in with the designs. My very best bargains have been at estate sales of quilters. At one I filled my car until there wasn't an inch left and paid $120. That one was at a destashing sale of a fabric and project designer who was quite alive. At another I got tons of batiks and other goodies enough to fill my trunk and part of the back seat for $50. There is a wholesale fabric place near us, but the prices aren't that low and the fabric is very thin so I stay away except for some laces that I use for my veil making business.
Old 12-31-2011, 06:09 AM
Power Poster

I'm like you I sit for the longest time going through page after page of online fabric only to delete the order at the "submit" button. Sometimes I print out the order before I delete and then give myself some time to think it over. I love the sites that you can "save your cart" use that all the time. Oh the life of a fabric junkie!
Old 12-31-2011, 06:17 AM

I've been quilting for 4 short years and in that time I fillled that "cart" with all sorts of sale fabrics...I now find myself with a cupboard full of fabric...no two look good together. My new mantra...only buy blenders until I get my stash down.
Old 12-31-2011, 06:19 AM

I have worked hard at using my stash this year, and done pretty well. I bought quite a bit of sale fabric this week, and I try not to pay full price if I can avoid it. Sometimes I need something specific and I buy it then. The deals are too good to pass up. When the end of year sales end, I'll be back to being frugal.
Old 12-31-2011, 06:25 AM

Fortunately, I love scrap quilts - Bonnie Hunter's (quiltville.com) are my favorite patterns. Over the years, I've collected a decent, but not frightening, stash. Now I can make quilts mainly using that fabric, with a few new fat quarters or half yard cuts thrown in if I want. A good friend used to shake her head when we went shopping; she only bought exactly what she needed for a given project, where I was buying b/c I loved something.

My shopping habits have changed... Rarely do I buy more than 1/2 yard cuts (again, b/c I love the scrappy look). And I'm always looking for a sale - whether @ LQS or on line. Plus, I do look at this as a bit of an investment for the days when I am not able to shop as much - whether it is due to economics or having DH w/ me every minute! (Sorry, couldn't resist - we are on vacation and I can't seem to get a second alone. He even has to go to the grocery store with me. What will retirement bring??)
Old 12-31-2011, 06:40 AM

I have soooo much fabric, that if i lived 3 or 4 life times it would not be used, but i just keep buying, now i am trying to buy my favorite color, which is red, because i don't have very much reds except Christmas, I would like to make me a Log Cabin quilt, and a scrappy for my bed. Reds are hard to find, i like the smaller prints, so when i find something i like i buy 7 or eight yards, so i have enough for a backing and a lot to choose from. Guess I better get busy or i will never get to make those quilts. I like to buy online also, but only at places that are having a sale, that fab shop hop is fun, you get to see a lot of quilt shops and sales. So I pay attention when i am hopping, i have won a lot of gift certificates and one time i won fabric and they sent white muslin with differant small prints on them, that was nice. I do try to pay attention to sales. Also i am running out of room. LOL
Old 12-31-2011, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by wishfulthinking View Post
Rising fabric prices are making me insane! I spend hours filling online shopping carts with sale fabric but then that little voice in my head starts pointing out that I have plenty of fabric I've never used and buying more would be wasteful. So, I let it go. Then I stop in at my lqs and am so horrified at $12 to $15 per yard fabric that I can't get back to my laptop fast enough! What's a quilter to do?! Most of my stash is half yard cuts of sale fabric that I love but I haven't done very well with actually using it. I can't imagine making a whole quilt with full price fabric! So, are y'all taking advantage of all the year end sales? Do you buy for stash, or buy for specific quilts? I feel like I need to go into fabric detox!
I am a scrappy quilter and I also run a swap, so when we do a particular color I buy one yard pieces, cut my strips and have 1/2 yard for myself and my smaller strips. I love the pillowcases and buy 2 yds for them online. I can't pay retail unless it knocks me off my feet. The places like thousands of bolts and hancocks paducah have such good prices. There's free shipping at hancocks if you buy over $200 so I've made a few of those recently. I absolutely have loads of fabric, but I use it. I figure each buy equates to one appointment at the shrinks!! lol It really is theurapuedic (sp?) for me. I don't smoke or go to bars. I just buy fabric.
Old 12-31-2011, 07:48 AM

I have been looking at the Benartex Flora and Fauna: Check out "Which Way Quilting" online. They have this line on sale right now for $6 something a yard.