Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric buying moratorium... it's time for an update! >

Fabric buying moratorium... it's time for an update!

Fabric buying moratorium... it's time for an update!

Old 12-13-2011, 08:29 PM

I did both! LOL
Old 12-14-2011, 04:01 AM

When the sale was to good to pass up, the stash was fed!!! I only pay full price these days when I need a color that I do not have in stash. Fun fun shopping the sales. One of our LQS's have flat folds that are from last years fabrics. They purchase mill ends and pass them on to us for backings. A good price and no one knows if it aged on our shelf for a year or if we bought a flat fold.
I have eliminated a lot of stash this year and plan to continue doing so next year.
Old 12-14-2011, 04:04 AM

I knew better to even go there. If I see something I like, I buy it.
Old 12-14-2011, 04:29 AM

Being a recent newcomer to QB, I wasn't aware of the fabric moratorium... I have been fortunate (I guess) that I am too busy to shop bargains and fabric sales so I only buy fabric for specific projects. I participated in a couple of early bird sales about a month ago, but only purchased bundles and fabric kits that will have a specific quilt project in mind and will then shop for borders and backings as I complete my projects.

I think I will stick to the same mind set for 2012 as I don't have much storage space and it sounds like collecting fabric can become an addiction. : )
Old 12-14-2011, 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by fivepaws View Post
I bought fabric as if my life depended on it. I seem to buy more when I am depressed, or see a sale that I can't let pass. I did not do well on my promise to only shop from my stash. Once again, my self-control isn't!!
I'm probably in this boat!!! Although in the past 2 months I havent gone shopping in the stores for fabric - just here!! so I am gearing up for a better 2012. Or maybe just a late bloomer for 2011- Of course I got the JoAnns flyer about the great Christmas Eve sale - hopefully I will be too busy to go - but they seem to have some great bargains - give me strength

Last edited by emsgranny; 12-14-2011 at 04:35 AM.
Old 12-14-2011, 04:58 AM

I sure have a hard time to pass up a good sale or a certain design I have been looking for.My stash is about the same as usual.I have made sever quilts this year.None were a know bell prize I just like doing it and giveing them as presents at Christmas time or to a new born.
Old 12-14-2011, 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by Pam S View Post
I tried. I tried. I really did ... I think I lasted until about February but I'm really addicted. Is there a clinic somewhere I can check myself into?
I'll go with you....providing we can take our machines and fabric with us. Oh, wait, we probably won't be allowed to have sharp instruments. Maybe we can chew the fabric with our teeth.
Old 12-14-2011, 05:31 AM

I bought a huge stash from someone on craig's list, so since then I have mainly just used fabric from there. I rarely buy any new fabric because I have so much, but I do buy a solid if I need it because I only have a few of those, and I may buy a couple of yards here and there if I really like something I see.
Old 12-14-2011, 05:45 AM

To stay out of fabric shops would probably be the answer for me. I love this forum as there are so many inspirational tutortials that show me how to use what fabrics I have. Alas, the pictures of completed quilts/projects however, at times spurs me into heading to the fabric store as many times I can't envision using different fabrics.
Old 12-14-2011, 06:07 AM

I cut back the last couple of months. DH not working right now and have been rather creative with my projects using my small stash. Will probably buy something after the first of the year for a large project.