Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric buying moratorium... it's time for an update! >

Fabric buying moratorium... it's time for an update!

Fabric buying moratorium... it's time for an update!

Old 12-13-2011, 11:18 AM

I tried but did buy some on sale. It is just too hard to pass up a good sale as prices seem to go up eveery month.
Old 12-13-2011, 11:29 AM

oh,oh,oh.not ho,ho,ho.......WAY to much!!!
Old 12-13-2011, 02:22 PM

I definitely did better this year about buying fabric but still broke down on occasion. I plan to continue cutting back in 2012 too. Still have way too much fabric and projects.
Old 12-13-2011, 03:31 PM
Power Poster

I was really good this year. I tried to use up and finish some of myUFO'S. I found plenty to keep me busy. Hope to keep it up .
Old 12-13-2011, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by SaraSewing View Post
I"m tickled to say that I didn't buy just because I loved a fabric. I bought a few super clearance fall pieces to go with a project I was finishing, I bought some plain yardage at a going-out-of business shop for backings/setting together. Even though I had several months when my mother passed away that I didn't sew, I used up lots of stash. Right now I'm using stash on the orca mystery quilt.

I for one, plan on not fabric shopping this 2012 year too!
so sorry about your mom.....
Old 12-13-2011, 04:06 PM

Location: Back home in Louisiana for now....where next?? who knows....

Weeeeellll, it is like saying I am gonna go on a diet for me. If I say I am not gonna buy more fabric it is like it becomes a magnet and I just HAVE TO BUY!!!! Like food, the more I say I have to watch what I eat the more I crave the things I say I am not gonna eat. So, why fight it.....I just became more frugal on what and how much I bought. So about the last half of the year I only bought fabric I actually had a need for unless it was a great sale that was too good to pass up. I did come across a few of those sales and even though I did buy I was very careful and bought wisely. I intend to try and do the same thing for the upcoming year.
Old 12-13-2011, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by fivepaws View Post
I bought fabric as if my life depended on it. I seem to buy more when I am depressed, or see a sale that I can't let pass. I did not do well on my promise to only shop from my stash. Once again, my self-control isn't!!
I confess I am the same way - fabric has become like chocolate for me - & I am one heck of a chocolate-maniac - Will diet after the new year???
Old 12-13-2011, 06:03 PM

I think I did pretty good. I used to spend an average of $200 a month on quilting. I probably spent about $300 for this entire year.

I was making the Farmer's Wife Sampler Quilt during the year with a group here. I did buy fabrics for that, but mostly fat quarters and only on sale. I also buy from Thousands of Bolts, 5 bucks a yard and Connecting Threads.

As the FWS took all my quilting time, I didn't do much on the UFO's. I do have a list of 20 UFO's that I've started. I put them in order of which one is the closest to finishing and start there. Beyond that I probably have about 30 other quilts that I've already bought all the fabric for that will take up another few years.

I will continue this until I've made all those quilts and continue to only buy what I need for a UFO to finish. I just stay away from quilt stores and this year stayed away from online stores too.

I find I'm just as happy working on UFO's as any other quilt. A quilt's a quilt; as long as I'm quilting I'm happy!
Old 12-13-2011, 07:21 PM

I stuck to the moratorium for the most part. I bought fabric for only one complete quilt because it was on sale! I made quite a few quilts this year and only bought 1 or 2 fabrics that I needed to finish each one! I'm going to stick with it for next year because I really want to use some more of the beautiful fabrics that I have!
Old 12-13-2011, 08:12 PM

But ladies: Think of those old stashes with that funky non-usable 70's or 80's looking fabric - it's so hard to find a pattern that they look good with. Use it up while it's current and modern. Even 10 year old fabric has a yesterlook type look. Even in scrappy it looks old. So my motto is use it before it looks out of date! Think of what you would do with that $5000. You surely wouldn't leave it sitting on the shelf as cash. . . .