Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Fabric Chain letters

Blog Entries
    I've learned from experience to return them to the sender as instructed. If they are truly my friends, they won't be offended and if they are offended, who needs them as friends. I thought it sounded so exciting to see the taste of others. I did receive from 1 quilter and the fabrics were not at all of my taste. As stated before, they are illegal so can just use that as an excuse.

I swore I would never do anymore of these and then got suckered in to doing one this last Winter because of a friend.......sent all mine out, talked some friends into joining me and got NOTHING back....NEVER AGAIN!!!!!!! Don't fall for it is my advice.... :thumbdown:

Not only are they a pain in the rear but I have had to clean up my computer form Trojan Horses because someone sent a chainletter and it infected my computer. If I open a e-mail and it says to forward, I don't even read it, I put it in the recycle and EMPTY the recycle. Chain letters and forward stuff is not a good idea for your computer, besides I want the choice if I want to send something to someone, not a threat that I will I have bad luck forever. What a nasty thing to send to a friend!!!!!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by raptureready
    Personally I don't do chain letters of any kind. My friends and family all know not to send them to me on email either. It's one of my more peevish pet peeves.
    Same here.

In theory it sounds so good but someone has to come out at the bottom, fabric doesn't just multiply by itself... that only speaking of a chain letter that actually worked. Chain letters and Fowards... two of my least favorite things to see in my snail mail and my email!!! :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

Personally I don't do chain letters of any kind. My friends and family all know not to send them to me on email either. It's one of my more peevish pet peeves.
    Me too, especially the ones by e mail.

Thanks ladies for all your imput! Swapping fabric is much more fun! :-D

Five of us formed a charm swap group/dinner club. It was such fun and OMG such a fabric collection! All of us preferred a different type fabric so even after 3-4 years, there were very few duplicates. We also had show and tell at each meeting. the group is still meeting but for family reasons, I can no longer attend. Have gone to a few meetings on special occasions and it is still fun! I made a big quilt out of the charms and it is my very favorite.

Chain letters are a type of pyramid scheme and are illegal in all cases, they violate US Postal regulations. Even if all you are 'sending on' is a bit of fabric, that has monetary value.

Have fun, swap fabric with people you know,
    Pati, in Phx

They're boring to me. Plus the few times I've tried to participate, I never get anything back. However, I know quilters who like it. If you do participate,
    remember the old saying, "Whenever you gamble, be prepared to lose."

Blog Entries
    I did one I got but no fabric came back to me unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by TammyD
    Hi! Has anyone participated in one of these? My niece sent me one and not sure if I should do it? Do they work ? Do you actually get fabric back? Thanks for any info.
    I've NEVER gotten anything back in a chain, so I stopped doing it. I also don't pass along e-mails that tell me I'll get money - or prayers answered - if I send this to friends.Or the ones that say a true friend will send this back and to 10 more friends etc.!

for you to get anything more then you put in, someone has to loss, most do not win at this and many people don't like being sent them. Do your self and friends a favor and throw it away.

I fell for this once -- never again. Didn't receive anything.

I did one last fall with some local women and I got from one person

Boy, it sounds like I was one of the very lucky ones. I checked the FTC site and they are targeting the chains that promise money or selling something. Exchanging pieces of fabric is not illegal under their definations but it does sound like most people have not had good experiences with them. The lady that sent it to me got enough 5" purple squares to do a lap quilt. I got fabric from all the ones I sent to and from the next 2 generations. Not all that was promised but I was happy with it. Since I found this thread, however, I have not done anything outside the swaps here. I absolutely hate the emails that tell you 'you're not a good friend' if you don't pass it on or versions like it. My FIL is famous for sending me those even though I've told him not to. Guess they made the Delete button for a good reason.
    Wendy B

Blog Entries
    Smiling, seems that the ole chain letter sequel strikes again! I have not heard of one in ages though. Does anyone remember the punch cards? where you had to pay a certain price to punch out a hole and see if you won?

I have had them before, and it didn't work. I didn't get anything.

I had one a year or so ago where I was to send 2 six-inch squares to friends...got one reply back along with the squares I had sent...she and her DH are permanent RVers and have limited space to work, so did not participate. No one else replied...and like those of you who delete e-mails with 'you're not a friend if...' so do I!

I sent fabric and never received any. Not a good deal.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by roseOfsharon
    Smiling, seems that the ole chain letter sequel strikes again! I have not heard of one in ages though. Does anyone remember the punch cards? where you had to pay a certain price to punch out a hole and see if you won?
    Yes, I remember those!

;)

Chain letters really do not work. I fell for this once and after receiving zilch fabric, I just pitch them in the trash now. Once I did get a lottery ticket from a good friend and her daughter was the next person on the list. I sent the ticket to her daughter because I did not feel I could keep it since I was not going to send the letter to others.

I'm with you! Any I have fallen for, years ago in my younger day, have given me nothing but the expense of doing my end and receiving zilch in return.

Quote Originally Posted by quiltsRfun
    Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray
    I also resent e-mails that say "forward to X number or people so that . . . . ."
    I agree with both of you and ignore all types of chain letters. I especially dislike the ones that threaten bad luck if I don't pass them on.
    ...or what about the ones that promise "miracles" or "good luck." Just delete.

Blog Entries
    I ignore them

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I would not do it if I got one. there is pleanty to do on the board to do. God bless. Penny

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast