Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric Chain letters >

Fabric Chain letters

Fabric Chain letters

Old 04-30-2010, 06:49 PM

The only "chain" type thing I have ever participated in was friendship bread :-)
Old 04-30-2010, 06:53 PM
Power Poster

Can't say I appreciate this kind of thing....most people of my acquaintance don't send me banal drivel via email or post. Maybe I'm too serious, but in the main I think people just get disappointed if they participate.
Old 04-30-2010, 07:42 PM

I've politely refused to participate.....knowing my relatives, I'd get the ugliest fabric back (as a joke). I DID send out recipes on two of those recipe swap letters...I've yet to receive even one back!!!
Old 05-01-2010, 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by TammyD
Hi! Has anyone participated in one of these? My niece sent me one and not sure if I should do it? Do they work? Do you actually get fabric back? Thanks for any info.
I tried 2 or 3 through a quilt magazine way back when and got nothing back. Absolutely nothing. No reply, nothing. It was frustrating and upsetting. They would start the thing and that was the end of it. These are nice fun ideas but not when the other end doesn't follow through. Way back, before the internet, ladies would write into the magazine and tell how much fun they had doing these and set on up but I won't do them again and especially not now. I tried 1 fabric one and 2 where you send a quilt block and they were to send a block back. I suppose they got swamped with people wanting to participate and couldn't keep up.
Old 05-01-2010, 05:40 AM
Power Poster

Hmmmm...I've never done one, but was asked by a friend the other day to do one. I said I would, now I'm wondering...but its only for 2 little pieces that I send...I think.... :?:
Old 05-01-2010, 06:25 AM

I've learned from experience to return them to the sender as instructed. If they are truly my friends, they won't be offended and if they are offended, who needs them as friends. I thought it sounded so exciting to see the taste of others. I did receive from 1 quilter and the fabrics were not at all of my taste. As stated before, they are illegal so can just use that as an excuse.
Old 05-01-2010, 06:39 AM

I swore I would never do anymore of these and then got suckered in to doing one this last Winter because of a friend.......sent all mine out, talked some friends into joining me and got NOTHING back....NEVER AGAIN!!!!!!! Don't fall for it is my advice.... :thumbdown:
Old 05-01-2010, 07:13 AM

Not only are they a pain in the rear but I have had to clean up my computer form Trojan Horses because someone sent a chainletter and it infected my computer. If I open a e-mail and it says to forward, I don't even read it, I put it in the recycle and EMPTY the recycle. Chain letters and forward stuff is not a good idea for your computer, besides I want the choice if I want to send something to someone, not a threat that I will I have bad luck forever. What a nasty thing to send to a friend!!!!!
Old 05-01-2010, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by raptureready
Personally I don't do chain letters of any kind. My friends and family all know not to send them to me on email either. It's one of my more peevish pet peeves.
Same here.

In theory it sounds so good but someone has to come out at the bottom, fabric doesn't just multiply by itself... that only speaking of a chain letter that actually worked. Chain letters and Fowards... two of my least favorite things to see in my snail mail and my email!!! :thumbdown: :thumbdown:
Old 05-01-2010, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by raptureready
Personally I don't do chain letters of any kind. My friends and family all know not to send them to me on email either. It's one of my more peevish pet peeves.
Me too, especially the ones by e mail.