Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Fabric Chain letters

Hi! Has anyone participated in one of these? My niece sent me one and not sure if I should do it? Do they work? Do you actually get fabric back? Thanks for any info.

They are Illegal and a long time ago I did one but got nothing! Same happened with little golden books when my kids were little. Zilch!

Quote Originally Posted by Up North
    They are Illegal and a long time ago I did one but got nothing! Same happened with little golden books when my kids were little. Zilch!
    Yeah I've gotten a couple of those recently too. I did do 1 a few years ago and got nothing. Sooooo totally up to you but I'm not doing it anymore. :thumbdown:

I just ignore them. It is illegal.

Blog Entries
    I ignore them also ! Use to be lottery tics also

Power Poster
    a fabric swap seems like a more sure thing

i signed up for one, too - the good thing about it is, i was invited to join the quilt group i've belonged to for over 15 years by the person I sent the fabric to - the bad thing, i never received any fabric back from anyone

Quote Originally Posted by sharon b
    I ignore them also ! Use to be lottery tics also
    I got a lottery ticket one once, I was a good girl and sent it back to her, I could have scratched it off but I didn't.

Personally I don't do chain letters of any kind. My friends and family all know not to send them to me on email either. It's one of my more peevish pet peeves.

Power Poster
    I also resent e-mails that say "forward to X number or people so that . . . . ."

I was in two back in Massachusetts. Never got a thing.

Blog Entries
    I would rather spend my money on a sure thing :wink:

Do a SEARCH on here for it. Someone asked awhile back about them, and they are not only illegal, but you will be the loser in the end.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by raptureready
    Personally I don't do chain letters of any kind. My friends and family all know not to send them to me on email either. It's one of my more peevish pet peeves.
    Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray
    I also resent e-mails that say "forward to X number or people so that . . . . ."
    I agree with both of you and ignore all types of chain letters. I especially dislike the ones that threaten bad luck if I don't pass them on.

Blog Entries
    Only twice did I ever receive anything when I did a "chain" letter. And then I only received one, when I was supposed to get 36! I will never participate again.

same here, I never receive anything back after spending my time to pass them on.

Quote Originally Posted by TammyD
    Hi! Has anyone participated in one of these? My niece sent me one and not sure if I should do it? Do they work? Do you actually get fabric back? Thanks for any info.
    They do not work. I never heard of anybody getting fabric back.Even if they did work, you may never use the fabric you receive. My suggestion for what it's worth is to buy your own fabric.

I tried that with a book swap. Send 1 book, get 36. I did end up getting 4.

Hate when I get those kind of things....... feel obligated to do it when it comes from a friend or relative..... right??? Have done a couple in the past GOT NOTHING....
    Now I just send it back and say I am very sorry but I don't do chain letters - don't want to brake it so returning to you. I put in a couple of squares for that person when returning the letter.......
    Scrapquilter

The only time chain letters are illegal is when there is money or some sort of profit is promised. I did a purple swap and got 24 or 25 pieces of fabric back. I ended up getting squares from 2 levels after me but then it stopped. I only sent to people I knew would not be upset getting it. I know I had better luck than most people. Good luck if you decide to do it.
    Wendy B

I'm saying no.

The only "chain" type thing I have ever participated in was friendship bread :-)

Can't say I appreciate this kind of thing....most people of my acquaintance don't send me banal drivel via email or post. Maybe I'm too serious, but in the main I think people just get disappointed if they participate.

I've politely refused to participate.....knowing my relatives, I'd get the ugliest fabric back (as a joke). I DID send out recipes on two of those recipe swap letters...I've yet to receive even one back!!!

Quote Originally Posted by TammyD
    I tried 2 or 3 through a quilt magazine way back when and got nothing back. Absolutely nothing. No reply, nothing. It was frustrating and upsetting. They would start the thing and that was the end of it. These are nice fun ideas but not when the other end doesn't follow through. Way back, before the internet, ladies would write into the magazine and tell how much fun they had doing these and set on up but I won't do them again and especially not now. I tried 1 fabric one and 2 where you send a quilt block and they were to send a block back. I suppose they got swamped with people wanting to participate and couldn't keep up.

Blog Entries
    Hmmmm...I've never done one, but was asked by a friend the other day to do one. I said I would, now I'm wondering...but its only for 2 little pieces that I send...I think.... :?:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast