Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric cost too much >

Fabric cost too much

Fabric cost too much

Old 08-09-2011, 08:01 AM

I know that the prices are high now, but please don't blame the LQSs. They are just passing on their prices and trying to stay in business. I buy from Fabric Depot in Portland, when they have sales, but you don't get nearly the assistance that one gets from LQS. When the LQSs try to compete with the big guys that get whopper discounts, they just cannot, so they compete with personality and service and knowledge. As long as I am able, I will buy from my LQS. I have had a small business before and know of what I speak!
Old 08-09-2011, 08:14 AM

Turn your 12 dollars into British pounds, wanna change ?. .You gals and guys dont know how lucky you are . Rant over .
Old 08-09-2011, 08:17 AM
Power Poster

For most of us, our hobbies and crafts are optional expenses.

It's really sad when we can no longer afford proper food and medications.

Yes, I feel sad when a local business goes under.

I feel worse when I read about the farms going under due to the drought conditions.
Old 08-09-2011, 08:21 AM

I complain more about food, gas, and medical than fabric. I love to quilt; however, I have to have food, gas, and medical. My quilting is a hobby even tho I love it so much.
Old 08-09-2011, 08:39 AM

Twice a year JoAnn's moves stock to "red tag" to make room for new fabrics. You can find some nice fabric at great prices.
Old 08-09-2011, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by Zhillslady
Our LQS has only raised the prices on the fabrics that are new coming in but the next city over I notied last week her new fabrics are $12 so she's raised the older still in stock up to the same price. I will not buy from her aaain. I understand the prices went up on cotton so they have to raise but that bolt you bought 6 months ago did not go up in costs.
I agree. The older items should remain lower. They also pay more for the newer lines, so of course that will be passed down to the consumer. I am sure they dont like the higher prices any more than we do. Right now im on a fabric/pattern diet until I use up some of my stash. I have plenty to pick from, except for maybe something to finish off my projects.
Old 08-09-2011, 09:05 AM

I have also noticed this to be true. It is one thing to pay higher prices but yet another to get less of quality. Also notice that yardage is getting narrower. Sad, but it does seem that most everything is getting higher priced and we are getting less amount of whatever we buy. No doubt everything is higher priced but I feel so cheated when I see the amount of things being less. I think we have a lot that is broke in this country and it is going to take people who aren't just thinking of themselves to fix it.

Originally Posted by crafty_linda_b
It wouldn't be so bad to see those prices but at the same time the quality of the fabrics seem to have declined!! Our LQS fabrics seem so much thinner than they used to be. I was look thru my stash the older fabrics I have seem like they are so much better. Like everything else...price goes up quality goes down..crafty_linda_b
:cry: :-(
Old 08-09-2011, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by msdrae
I hear you on that one. I save up and buy at the big Quilt Shows.
Is the price of fabric cheaper there?
Old 08-09-2011, 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by Morningcoffeegal
and to add to it, my Joann's store use to let you use more than 1 coupon a day. Now they don't even let you make seperate purchases one after the other using a coupon on each. The gal told me one coupon per patron a day! Whats the difference if I got ten ppl to buy things using coupons or I stood through 10 transactions? Go figure!
Because the coupon is meant to get you in the door. If you don't like their coupon policy, don't shop there.

By having others shop for you, they're getting others in the door who are hopefully browsing for themselves as well. If it's just you doing the transactions, then you're not in the store (browsing) any longer - just tying up the register. And why do you have 10 coupons at once at Joann's anyway? I thought they normally sent you only 2 at most per any 2 week period (1 in the mail, 1 via email) unless they're doing one of the coupon commotions. If you're getting more than 1 snail mail packet and 1 email from them, how did you manage that?

Follow (general you) the store's coupon and discount policies, otherwise they'll be forced to discontinue them for ALL customers.
Old 08-09-2011, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by Steady Stiching
There are reasons cotton prices are going up..read

http://bworldonline.com/content.php?...lters&id=35860

What I don't understand is why I can buy 5 pack of Fiscar 45 mm rotary blades for 15.99 at Walmart and the SAME pack of blades cost 25.99 at Joann.
Because Joann's always runs sales or has coupons you can use on them, which makes them about the same price as Walmart. If they started out with Walmart prices, they'd have to discontinue their sales/coupons and then (general) you would moan and groan about a lack of sales/coupons that you could use on the blades.

Besides that, Walmart probably gets a better wholesale price since it's a larger corporation, and has more products to spread it's overhead prices onto.