Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: fabric crayons...

Blog Entries
    We used transfer (red) pencils to trace the designs from coloring books and ironed on to white fabric. We then iron freezer paper to the back of the square to stabilize it for coloring. After all coloring, and we used plain old crayola, we ironed the square with a piece of wax paper, face down on the coloring. It seemed to set it better. Used laundry markers, cheaper than fabric markers. Kids used to do them at sleep overs, and then they would sign them. I would put them in lap quilts and they loved to see their pictures when they came back over. After doing our squares this way, we have washed these many times, at least once a week for 7 years now, and they have held up well. We did find the harder they pressed and the darker the color, the longer it held up. But I like the look of the faded colors, more vintage.

I love an excuse to play with crayons!

Quote Originally Posted by martha jo
    Black Cat Creations, www.black-cat-creations.com, 1110 Baltic Lane, Houston, Texas 77090, 281-587-1363 puts out several different lines of patterns for crayola coloring. They had a quilt and huge display at Houston quilt market a few years ago. I am assuming they are still in business as I am taking this info from patterns I bought from them. They had us draw the pattern with a black .05 Black Pigma Pen and then after coloring, embroidery the outline and highlights with dmc or embroidery.
    When your ready to heat set you can use a paper towel on the top of the picture. when the crayola melt the paper towel collect it.
    Hobby lobby has some nice color pin that we have used to do finer colors
    When we first started this we tried the different crayola for fabric and the regular ones we use with the grandkids work the best.
    Sept 17 -19 Austin quilt guild had there quilt show. There was a crayola quilt with cats on it. I think its a black cat pattern.
    you might can go to the web site for Austin and see it. AAQG.org

I used a paper towel on the crayon colored pic. Set it nicely. Got the directions from a pattern produced locally.

:)

Blog Entries
    Are your Prang box of 64 just crayons, or fabric crayons?
    Also, how much would the postage be on the $7.64?
    mariah

I've used RoseArt crayons, they are the cheaper ones at Walmart, set with heat, no steam using a paper towel. Press one the towel, move towel to clean area and press again until no more color comes off. Hope this helps.

this was colored using crayons
    Name:  Attachment-90197.jpe
Views: 100
Size:  88.8 KB

all put together
    Name:  Attachment-90198.jpe
Views: 56
Size:  110.2 KB

Blog Entries
    some fabric markers DO run - ask me how i know. plain ole everyday crayons work well. just color, turn over, place paper on top and heat set with hot iron - protect your iroing board too. i helped my grandkids color some blocks for a quilt a loooong time ago and after many washings they still hold their color.

Blog Entries
    save your money - use regular crayons - also a class i took had us iron freezer paper to the back our our blocks before we colored them and it kept them from shifting as much.

So, is everyone coloring directly on the fabric?

When my kids were younger (1970's) they used fabric crayons to color and/or draw a picture on a piece of white paper than then it was transferred to the fabric by using an iron. If you wrote any words on the picture you had to write them as a mirror image because everything was reversed after it was ironed to the fabric.

Blog Entries
    directly on the fabric.

I did a project just recently that had crayon tinting on it. I thought it is fun and makes a nice finish.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-66344-1.htm#1626371

Blog Entries
    I have neocolo 1 which is a WATER-RESISTANT WAX PASTEL,they are from Switzerland, and so far I really like them.

I have used Dritz and Crayola fabric crayons. I was hoping the look would be crisper.

Great look Kendra!

I have seen some special fabric crayons from Crayola, but on the package it said they worked better the higher the polyester content of your fabric was, which seemed not a good match for quilting.

I have found this thread very interesting, as I've been thinking some sort of coloring on fabric projects might be good for my kids to do as Christmas gifts.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2