Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric drying out fingers? >

Fabric drying out fingers?

Fabric drying out fingers?

Old 04-08-2015, 09:13 AM

I have dealt with this chronically over the years and, yes, it is worse if the fabric has not been washed. I've never been able to completely prevent the cracks around fingernail base and they are too, too painful. (I just made 53 lined tote bags for an upcoming Christian retreat, so I'm in the throes of the cracks right now.)

Here's what I do: At night, Neosporin covered by bandaid. By day, Liquid Bandaid or NewSkin which puts an almost plastic-type cover over the exposed area (yes, it burns for a minute or so, but seals everything up). When it gets really bad, I find that the hot wax bath (Dr. Scholl's- WalMart) causes the healing oils to permeate the skin/cracks and it heals very quickly.

In between, I use an intensive care, heavier type lotion several times a day.

A real pain in the butt, but quilting is worth it.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-08-2015, 10:13 AM
Power Poster

I prewash everything and handling the fabric still dries out my fingers.
Old 04-08-2015, 11:56 AM

The fabric does draw moisture from our hands much the same way as paper did when I was an Admin Assistant. I now use Udderly Smooth; non-greasy. Even found tubes of it at Dollar Tree. Yep, the one dollar only store. LOL
Old 04-08-2015, 11:59 AM

I had the problem until I found the No Crack Cream It is the best.
Buy on line from www.nocrackcream.com

Worth the price.
I just use it I do not sell it.
Old 04-08-2015, 12:04 PM

I'm glad I am not alone with this problem.
you all have given me great tips and advice that I will start using.....today!��
thanks sew much!!
Old 04-08-2015, 03:18 PM

Mine mostly do that in the winter, but I always hated lotion because it leaves hands greasy feeling. Finally discovered Gold Bond ultimate healing hand cream, truly works, absorbed quickly, no greasy feeling!
Old 04-08-2015, 06:31 PM

I also have found that the Burt's Bees product to be very helpful in healing the cracks, too. I also use the Lemon butter Cuticle Cream. I use it around the cuticle and nails and on the pads of my fingers; my thumbs are what cracks the most. Then use the Almond Milk Hand Cream overall. It is a little pricey but goes a long way. And, I, too, prewash all of my material before using it, but, it still dries out my skin.

Originally Posted by Jeanette Frantz View Post
Ms. Grace, I too have very dry and cracked thumb and
Originally Posted by Jeanette Frantz View Post
finger tips, Eucerin is good. I use Burt's Bees Almond Milk Beeswax Hand Creme. I know that for me, it heals my fingertips and thumbs practically overnight. One caution, it is oily, so you don't want to use it and then go to work on a quilt. I've also used Gold Bond Healing (in tube) and it works well, too. I like the Burt's Bees Almond Milk Beeswax Hand Creme because it works best. It's a little more expensive than Gold Bond but it goes a long way. I feel for you, because I know what it feels like. Hope your hands heal quickly!

Jeanette

Last edited by dee1245; 04-08-2015 at 06:39 PM.
Old 04-09-2015, 02:11 AM
Power Poster

There is a thread which deals with this problem in the Links and Resources section of todays newsletter.
Old 04-09-2015, 02:55 AM

I sometimes have this problem with the thumb on my right hand. It cracks and will bleed if I am not careful. I know handling fabric is part of the problem because I spend a lot of time with fabric. But I also know it is a lot of hand washing, heated dry air, etc.-just a winter time thing. I use the Aquafor ointment and sometimes butterfly bandaids. It usually goes away in two or three days. It is a bummer but manageable.
Old 04-09-2015, 04:04 AM

Fabric also does that to my hands, washed or not. Years ago in my working years, boxes did the same thing, horrid painful cracks in the fingers. I use super glue and have had no bad effects, but if you are afraid to use that, try "New Skin", it is made for putting on your skin. Doesn't last quite as well as super glue does though. Find it by the band-aids.