Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric drying out fingers? >

Fabric drying out fingers?

Fabric drying out fingers?

Old 04-09-2015, 04:13 AM

It's not just fabric...if you're still reading books (instead of Kindle style)... paper also absorbs moisture in your fingers. It's a tough fight in winter but I have also found the only solution is cream, wrapping, or gloves.
Old 04-09-2015, 04:23 AM

I HAVE A SOLUTION!! My fingers are also prone to splitting and peeling....handling fabric does remove the oils on your skin, and compounds the problem of ultra dry skin in the winter.......I have tried creams, lotions, etc - but as you all know, you cannot handle fabric with most of those on your skin, or you risk depositing the oils on your fabric.....

At a quilt show last year, there was a vendor called "ULTRA BALM"....they were providing samples ( a tiny squirt of the balm ) and 2 hours later my hands were still "baby butt" soft.....My friend and I went back and asked about use of their product and adverse effects with fabric, and were surprised to find there were NONE.......The balm is absorbed into your skin in seconds........and it does not wash off with soap and water....it wears off after about 24 hours. It was designed for nurses who have their hands in strong anti-bacterial soap and water all day......

I bought a jar to try - and can I tell you how PLEASED I AM??? I use it every day, and still have some in the jar I purchased last October.......

My mother also suffers (worse than me) with the dry cracking and bleeding fingers......I bought her a jar and she said she cannot believe the difference......She is 88, and have used just about everything under the sun, and nothing has worked but this Ultra Balm..........

You can do an internet search for "Ultra Balm" and locate the company.....they also make a night cream for us older gals that I also like very much.......

I have no affiliation with this company, other than being an extremely happy customer........
Old 04-09-2015, 05:19 AM

Try getting two different product. Either one has worked for me.

O'Keeffe' for Healthy Hands (bought in Hardware store!) or a product found in fine yarn shoppes: Lavishea. I believe it is the shea butter in this that works.
Kept next to my sewing machine and knitting bucket. AT ALL times. Good Luck
PS I am also a nurse so handwashing is tough too.
Old 04-09-2015, 05:20 AM

I keep a high quality hand cream not lotion in my sewing basket. I love some of those wonderful lesser known creams that have been around for ever that contain lanolin. Some are recommended for nursing mothers or farmers. Anyway the do the trick for me and I do not suffer from dry hands or cracked nails from the constant handling of fabric.
Old 04-09-2015, 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by Ms Grace View Post
Oh wow! Thanks, no I don't prewash. Going to start after I finish the quilt top I'm working on. Don't want half of it prewashed, and the other half not.

Jackie, what do you do for the problem?
Right now, my finger tips are so painful, that I have actually considered giving up quilting.
On a recommendation, right from the start of quilting I have used Udderly Smooth cream http://www.udderlysmooth.com/dry-ski...er-cream.shtml easy to get anywhere and a good price, wouldn't be without it. If you have very sore fingers give your hands a really thick layer, smoothed on and wear cotton gloves, preferably overnight until they heal and then use the cream daily.
Old 04-09-2015, 06:01 AM

Another product that is great is Bag Balm. I have a friend who works in retail and he handles jeans on a daily basis. He's used Working Hands but said the Bag Balm is even better.
http://www.amazon.com/DAIRY-ASSOCIAT...words=bag+balm
Old 04-09-2015, 07:42 AM

I have had this problem since January. My fingertips have improved considerably by doing the following. Cut off the fingers of thin latex gloves, fill the tips with vaseline, feed Onto the affected fingers and then run tape around the base of the "rubber fingers". Try doing this for a few days, you will be surprised at the difference it makes.
Old 04-09-2015, 09:18 AM

Default cracked hands.

Originally Posted by auntnana View Post
I don't prewash my fabric and find my hands dry out too. I cleaned out a fence row last summer and after wearing leather gloves for weeks, my fingertips were so cracked they would bleed. There's a miracle salve I found at Home Depot called Working Hands. Best. Stuff. Ever. It's now sold at Wal-Mart, Walgreens, etc, basically everywhere. It's like an instant healing miracle!
Thwe salve I use is for "workers hands" and is O'Keefe's Working Hands salve and is available at any hardware. Also, if you hand quilt I have found that by wrapping my finger tips i use under to quilt top with adhesive backed moleskin used to cushion bunions and blisters is a real finger saver.
Old 04-09-2015, 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by paoberle View Post
The fabric will draw the moisture from your hands.
I think this, washing, and the constant contact removes the natural oils from your fingers.
Old 04-09-2015, 09:48 AM

My sister is a nurse and when she worked in the neonatal unit her hands would get so chapped that they would bleed. She used Bag Balm at night to heal them. It stinks so you would want to wear gloves and keep your hands away from your face while sleeping. She works in a different unit now so the hand cleansers are not as harsh. I use olive oil myself because it's what I have on hand. My skin just sucks it in during the winter.