Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric Hoarder Confession!! >

Fabric Hoarder Confession!!

Fabric Hoarder Confession!!

Old 07-29-2013, 06:08 PM

I am in good company- I have plenty of stash enough for more than one lifetime- have decided not to buy anything I don't absolutely need and also use some as backings that are pieced. I love scrap quilting and crumb quilting- (which is what gets me into trouble, cause I don't throw it until it can't be used)...the crumbs go in the doggie bed.
Old 07-29-2013, 07:11 PM

If anyone is looking for a place to unload some material. I would be interested, I am helping with a couple of charity quilts. One is are for a single lady with 2 children. With being out of work she is having a hard time making her house payments. One is for our guild. Also we help make pillow cases for children hospitalized with cancer. A shop owner gave me a really good look when I told her I was needing several pieces of only 1/4 yard each. Although I would be needing 112 different ones. It was like she thought I was kidding. So now when I go in she always asks in a joking way have I built up a stash yet. I am new to quilting and have not built it up quit yet. It did help when I was finally able to hit a yard sale and picked up a few pieces. I would be willing to pay postage if anyone is looking for a place to donate any. cstucke_1
Old 07-29-2013, 07:17 PM

I am guilty too and yes sometimes I hate cutting the ones I like the best. I donated 3 of those green garbage bags full to the Senior Center. They have a group that does charity quilts. It felt so good to let it go. I also gave them all my Coats and Clark thread as it isn't recommended for my machine. They were thrilled to get it.
Old 07-29-2013, 07:20 PM
Power Poster

Have been better but still seem to buy on occasion. Such a sickness!
Old 07-29-2013, 07:31 PM

I've stopped buying fabric, too, even though I'm sure I have much less than many quilters...and many on this board. I've realized that having too much fabric depresses me; I feel like I'm not working fast enough to turn it into something, and that takes all the fun out of what is essentially, for me, anyway, a hobby and pastime.

Besides storing the stuff gets to be a nightmare if you don't have a dedicated sewing room....which I don't.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:16 PM

Actually, just had this conversation last week with my daughter "If I quilted most of the day, every day, for the rest of my life, I'd never use all this material". Just gotta decide which is the best...and donate the rest. You are not alone!

Last edited by mrsjdt; 07-29-2013 at 08:17 PM. Reason: mis spelling
Old 07-29-2013, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by quilter2090 View Post
I,too, have more fabric than I can use in this lifetime. It was Crazy Daze in a city near me last week, and I am proud of myself, I didn't even go to the fabric store. My dream is to win the lottery and build a studio for my sewing stuff.
I think we have the same dream. I also dream of being like Bewitched and wish I could just wiggle my nose and all of my housecleaning, laundry and everything else that takes time from my quilting would be done. I too have wayyyy to much fabric, and have only purchased in the last year or so something that I really need to finish a quilt, because I don't have that in my stash and have to travel so far to buy fabric. It's a good thing I don't get to Hancock's, Hobby Lobby or a quilt shop too often now. When WalMart here closed their fab. dept. we were all depressed, as that was the only place to purchase fab. within 90 miles from us. My quilting group and I really bought a lot when everything went on their big sale. I am also a recipient of loads of fabric, some I don't really need and some I really love. I have given away a lot that one person gave me, I just would never have used it. I will probably never use what I have in my lifetime left, however long that is, but I love pretty fabric and beautiful patterns. I only wish I had time to make all of the beautiful patterns I have collected. I am thinking that when the 4 quilts I need to get made for some special people are made, I will do a lot more for charity. I still have a few I really want to make for myself, as a just because quilt, using special fabric. Boy if we all lived near each other and went together, what a fabric store we could open. I could probably open a small one with just my fabric.

Last edited by Gerbie; 07-29-2013 at 09:44 PM.
Old 07-30-2013, 03:26 AM

I am orginizing my stash. There are so many good places to donate our over flow. James Sisters makes quilts for every one male, female and children here in Ohio. Then Lionises quilts for critical ill children at children's hospital. Habitat for Humanity for rebuilt homes for low income families. Quilts of Valour for wounded soldiers. Then I have a church quilting group that gives other sewing groups fabric that isn't used in quilts. Finally my guilds(3) have a garage sale they raise money for our rent and speakers. Lastly my friends. I know my children will have first dibs.

Then I am down sizing my machines too. I gave 3 away last year and am working on another 3 this year. I would like treadle , FW, 301, 401, Diamond, 644 Juki, and 454 Elna. Plus one Viking, 2 singers and another Viking are going to children or co workers in need.
Old 07-30-2013, 03:50 AM

I prefer to look at myself as an investor in fabrics ! I do have a stash I probably will never use up in my life time, but several months ago I stopped buying just because I liked the fabric. Now I "shop" in my stash first before buying fabrics for a specific project. Most of the time I have been able to "cash in" my investments. How satisfying!
Old 07-30-2013, 05:26 AM
Power Poster

Yup...We need an AA for fabraholics.....