Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
FABRIC HOARDER ON TV >

FABRIC HOARDER ON TV

FABRIC HOARDER ON TV

Old 04-17-2011, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by AVQuilter
To answer your question about the lady who quilts for QOV...I know Barbara and she is doing great. No more fabric in her house since the makeover. And she is thrilled with the work that was done there. This was such a big help to her as you start with one bag on a couch and it went from there.
Barbara has quilting days at various locations and I go to a few and have met some wonderful quilters. She is very organized now as a place to keep everything.
So glad to hear she is doing great. Gives hope the to rest of us. Wink, Wink. LOL
Old 04-17-2011, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by margecam52
Barbara Winkler

Thank you for the name, I'm going to google it to find the epicode, as I missed it.
I want to see it to see if we have any of the same fabric.

See, I'm doing a bit of investigation to prove a theory I have. I think there's a piece of fabric, maybe more than one, that is extremely lonely, and is sending signals out to other fabric out in the stores, to come and join it. By seeing her fabric, I may be able to figure out who the culprit is..

That's my stroy and I'm sticking to it
Old 04-17-2011, 08:18 AM

Check the network website and see if the show is available for viewing online.
Old 04-17-2011, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by Pat G
I'm watching the show onTV where a woman has a whole houseful of fabrics & anything to do with sewing.
I will have to watch this on the DVR before DH sees it.
Old 04-17-2011, 09:31 AM

Hoarding is a sickness, where things replace relationships. Years ago a neighbor of ours who was a hoarder finally shot himself in a parking lot. He couldn't connect with people, felt that things made himself secure, then finally just gave up. It is very sad.
Quilting is a wonderful hobby, and a great way of expressing our creativity. And while we appreciate the beauty of the fabrics, they are no substitute for the beauty of spending time with family and friends.
We come into this world with nothing, and go out the same. What will last is those loving things we do for and with others. I really enjoy quilting, but have to keep reminding myself that showing love to people comes first.
Old 04-17-2011, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by emmah
Hoarding is a sickness, where things replace relationships. Years ago a neighbor of ours who was a hoarder finally shot himself in a parking lot. He couldn't connect with people, felt that things made himself secure, then finally just gave up. It is very sad.
Quilting is a wonderful hobby, and a great way of expressing our creativity. And while we appreciate the beauty of the fabrics, they are no substitute for the beauty of spending time with family and friends.
We come into this world with nothing, and go out the same. What will last is those loving things we do for and with others. I really enjoy quilting, but have to keep reminding myself that showing love to people comes first.
Thank you for that fine explanation.

I like my stash and have fun playing with it, but people come first and things come second.
Old 04-17-2011, 10:00 AM

I think true hoarding is a sickness...I think there are different levels of hoarding though. My sister (so did mom) hoard...only because their mental capicity and havng been poor make them that way. My sister has not only her things, but all four of her children's boxes & stuff stored in her home....neat and in boxes/bins...not garbage.

I have a ton of fabrics, magazines, old dishes, knick knacks, etc...why? because we owned a 2nd hand store. I purge every year (area wide garage sale), but we end up with more.

Fabrics I buy on sale...I'm 75 miles round trip from nearest fabric store now...I am slowing using all I have. I don't save anything smaller than a fat quarter...but as my fabric stash grows...which was stored on shelves in this one room...but cold weather (this room is not heated) grew colder...I ended up indoors...took up two bedrooms...now about half way back to being in this one room.

I think hoarding is not really what Barb was doing...she was, like a lot of us, disorganized. Getting organized costs money...and that's money we can use to pay for batting, backings and postage on our quilts of valor. We would rather use the money for soldiers & charity, than use it for plastic bins. I'm slowing buying bins to put my fabrics in...bins that fit the 8 large shelving units I have it in now.
Old 04-17-2011, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by RugosaB
Originally Posted by margecam52
Barbara Winkler

Thank you for the name, I'm going to google it to find the epicode, as I missed it.
I want to see it to see if we have any of the same fabric.

See, I'm doing a bit of investigation to prove a theory I have. I think there's a piece of fabric, maybe more than one, that is extremely lonely, and is sending signals out to other fabric out in the stores, to come and join it. By seeing her fabric, I may be able to figure out who the culprit is..

That's my story and I'm sticking to it
Good grief, so that's what happened to my stash!
In between rain I have been lugging plastic bins of fabric out to my deck to try and organize my sewing room (which has no room for a table or any of my 4 sewing machines). On top of
holding my fabric, ribbon, books, etc. It also holds 5'7" tall drawers that hold supplies for my ribbon roses and venise lace
business. Those tall drawers multiplied and some are across one wall in my bedroom. At least everything is protected from my four legged children (one of which (Sarah) steals ribbon roses any time they are left in plain view for more than 5 seconds). She has an obsession for satin and roses. Smart kittie!
Attached Thumbnails attachment-185511.jpe   attachment-185512.jpe   attachment-185513.jpe  
Old 04-17-2011, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by emmah
Well said, Emmah. I like the fact I can be creative in a medium I can control, but there is nothing like snuggle time with the DH or that phone call from the youngest just to say Hi.
Old 04-17-2011, 11:01 AM

LOL