Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
fabric hoarding >

fabric hoarding

fabric hoarding

Old 05-26-2016, 02:58 PM

I keep track of the quilts I make each year. Last year I made 16, 9 of them were from my stash. I no longer purchase for my stash -- I purchase (if needed) for a current project only. I've reduced the number of quilts hanging in the closet ready for quilting. That group is down from 10 to only 1 left. Having fabric is fun but not necessary! If I had to do it over I would only purchase for specific projects!
Old 05-26-2016, 03:09 PM

It took 6 full size pick up trk loads -they dbl stacked the totes plus I filled my car 3 times as well. This was just my fabrics. It took 2 days to move my sewing rooms,and only 1/2 day for the rest of the house. My BFF's husband is on her to thin out the excess at their house, so we are doing a big yard sale. I will be selling lots and lots of fabrics that date back to the mid 60's to just last week6-8 machines, plus 3/4 of the household of furniture and kitchen stuff I no longer need or use.My nephew's will be the one's to take care of my things after I pass and I just can't leave this burden on them. I have been donating fabrics to one lady that makes quilts and clothing for children in need. And for the Christmas give away through her church. If I was able to make 1 quilt every week I would have to live at least another 60 yrs to use up all the yardage and scraps.
Old 05-26-2016, 03:54 PM

My stash is also too large. I was given a bunch plus I have leftovers from many projects. I have quit, for the most part, ha, buying pretty fabrics. That sounds terrible but I only buy backgrounds and accents. I'm also piecing my backings. I'm sending out one top at a time to be machine quilted and I'm still hand quilting. My stash is still too big but we're getting there. Did I mention DH is still buying me fabrics? Oh well!
Old 05-26-2016, 04:15 PM

Unless the heirs are retired how much time can they take to close out your home. A week at most, probably less if they come from a distance.
Old 05-26-2016, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by Notwendy View Post
This can happen to anyone if they don't leave their wishes in writing (preferably in a will or similar). Just telling people isn't enough. There was one story (on this board I believe) recently where a son burned all the fabric instead. Spite, indifference, or ignorance can lead to your spoken wishes not being followed.
I don't know about the details of that particular story, but I have an older friend who is quite concerned about her stash when she passes on. She actually is borderline on having hording disease and the fabric is not saleable. The dogs have gotten to it (use your imagination), pests have gotten in it & it is severely deteriorated. Her illness does not allow her to see how bad the fabric has truly gotten. She says she plans to use it, but every time she starts a new project, she can't get to much of anything in her "stash" so she ends up just buying new fabric. It's very sad to see my friend have such an unhealthy attachment to stuff that is contributing to her own respiratory illness & on more than one occasion, the injury of her animals. The reality is, for health reasons, the only viable options are to throw out or otherwise destroy the fabric.

I've gone the opposite direction with my own fabric. I keep it all in one large plastic tub & find uses for it as quickly as possible -- even if that's charity quilts. I try to buy just a bit more than what I need for each quilt and figure the quilting store is the best home for the many fabrics I love to sort through at the start of each quilt. I can spend hours at my LQS'es almost getting lost in the fabrics because they're all so very beautiful. It's a special treat for me with each new quilt.
Old 05-26-2016, 04:49 PM
Power Poster

I'm teaching my BFF how to quilt and she has NO stash so she is starting to buy more than she needs for her projects. I actually cautioned her to keep that in check. Speaking from experience.
Old 05-27-2016, 12:01 AM

I started collecting fabric when I was making clothing and now have a collection for quilting. Unfortunately, when people found out I sewed (or did other crafts) they gave me fabric and craft supplies when family members passed. I didn't have the heart to refuse these items because I knew what an emotional and difficult time it was for them. I amusing some of the fabric for projects, but will be donating some also. I've given some of the craft material away also. As for my personal fabric stash, I've stopped buying any yardage (unless I absolutely have to have it) and have been using what I have.
Old 05-27-2016, 02:38 AM
Power Poster

I am so glad to know that I am not the only one who deals with this (I refuse to call it a problem) blessing.
Old 05-27-2016, 03:39 AM

It's not my stash I worry about it is my sewing machines and embroidery machine. Nobody I'm close to sews.
Old 05-27-2016, 05:27 AM

I am at the same place as many of you. I have way too much fabric. I am in the process of sorting it all and donating what I won't use or even if it's iffy. I quit buying fabric quite awhile ago unless it was a necessity for the particular quilt I was making. Last year I did a purge also. But in the meantime, others have since given me more fabric because they know I sew. Most of mine has been gifted to me. So I don't feel bad about any money I spent. And I don't mind gifting it to others. I have only been quilting a few years but have always sewn. Last year when I did the purge, it was a relief. And it was sort of like taking inventory. I appreciated knowing what I had. I sorted what I kept according to color. What a blessing. But it needs to be done again.