Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric Moratorium Update - Feb 2011 >

Fabric Moratorium Update - Feb 2011

Fabric Moratorium Update - Feb 2011

Old 02-12-2011, 07:55 AM

I have a plan now for the polka dot fabrics that jumped into my shopping basket a few weeks ago! :-D I guess that still doesn't justify buying them, but I'm very excited about using them . . . now that they have a purpose. Ohhh, I will be good from now on. That's been my only slip so far.
Old 02-12-2011, 12:00 PM

I hope I'm doing this right. Thank you for the suggestion to use the library. I love our library and figured out that I was buying quilting books so I'd have the information on how to do things at my finger tips. Well, I have decided I don't need books for that --I have this board's members and tutorials! :-D So I have been strong and not bought any books. I want to thank all of you for your help. Pat/Spot
Old 02-12-2011, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by SpotMurphy
I hope I'm doing this right. Thank you for the suggestion to use the library. I love our library and figured out that I was buying quilting books so I'd have the information on how to do things at my finger tips. Well, I have decided I don't need books for that --I have this board's members and tutorials! :-D So I have been strong and not bought any books. I want to thank all of you for your help. Pat/Spot
Old 02-12-2011, 12:01 PM

Nope, I missed all the folks with their helpful suggestions. But thank you.
Old 02-18-2011, 11:51 AM

Doing well so far this month. So appreciative of this group, you are all really helping me stay aware of how much I am resisting and gradually changing my approach to buying!

Followed people's suggestion on here and filled an online shopping cart with some enticing dyes, discharges and such. Didn't buy. Had an email from Dharma Trading customer service a day later, politely enquiring why I hadn't completed my purchase, lol! I told them, Soon, once I'm ready to start actually working with the products. (Which is true.) Better on their shelves than mine, while I'm not doing anything with it yet!!!

Instead I played with making a 20'' chenille square, liked it enough to make it into a pillow. All from stash, including a piece of leftover batting. Will take and post pics in the next couple of days, once I manage to catch a sunny moment between clouds.

Been adding borders to a pair of quilts I'm making as gifts for my parents. Both centers are from my stash. I was planning to buy 4yds of fabric for borders, but then was inspired to play with my stash first and see... I've ended up with some inner borders I really love, and will only have to buy between 1.5 and 2.5yds now for outer borders.

Spent a couple of days cutting strings for a quilt from over 70 fabrics, all from my stash. About 7yds of fabric... yet I can't even see a dent in my greens! At least I know I have enough to border, back and bind this one. :)

Will need to buy batting for these three quilts... unless I have enough leftovers to piece a batting for one of them.

Sorry for the novel!!! Thanks for being here. :D
Old 02-18-2011, 12:04 PM

Okay, I haven't been doing this, in fact just Tuesday I bought a 1 and 1/4 yds of fabric and then on Wednesday went online and bought 2 quilting books and 1 and 3/4 yds fabric, however, I've decided I really need to have a moratorium for awhile. Mine is not a specific length of time - I will try not to buy any new fabric OR START ANY NEW PROJECTS until I have finished the queen quilt I have in progress (for myself), and the memory quilt I am making for a friend. So that could be weeks or months, who knows. :)
Old 02-18-2011, 12:22 PM

Hey, welcome!! Come in and have a cup of tea and a cookie... :D
Old 02-18-2011, 12:57 PM

OK I am going to confess.... It's a big slip.... I bought a whole bolt of fabric. ..... But I did make 4 full size quilts out of scraps prior to this purchase. THis fabric is for a quilt I have been wanting to make for three years. I have held onto the magazine and kept saying someday... someday. So it was not an impulse purchase ... and I purchased it the most $$$ efficent way possible. Time to confess my other issue.... I have a sister with a LQS.... maybe its a good thing she is over 500 miles away .... but I called her and asked her to order it for me ... and it arrived today.
I will admit/confess after 4 scrap quilts I can not wait to dive into the fresh fabric. The bolt has 10 yards ( not the typical 15) and because of the "family" discount it made it affordable to use the bolt fabric for the background for the top and just have the right amount for the backing as well.
Forgive me I broke my vow but needed to have this background fabric if I was ever going to make this quilt. I had spent three years collecting all of the other fabrics.... and was a bit burnt on scrap quilts. This one is all paper peiced and will consume me for quite awhile.
Old 02-18-2011, 12:59 PM

Ok. I'm officially in this now. We just found out today that we do (actually) have to buy a new car and have no idea on how we're going to pay for it.

I'm in. :D
Old 02-18-2011, 01:05 PM

Boy, this was easy when I had NO money, but now that DH is working again, all i can think about is new fabric so I'm staying away from JoAnn's. I do have to go get backing for three quilt tops, and some batting and spray adhesive. I think I'll go with a good quality muslim for the backs. That should keep costs to a minimum.