Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric Preferences >

Fabric Preferences

Fabric Preferences

Old 01-08-2014, 06:00 AM

I buy lines and then get coordinating solids to go with.

The only time I don't use a line for a quilt is when I plan something in all solids.

I don't trust my eye for flow with picking my own patterned fabrics. I have a rule though. I won't buy a line of fabrics if there is more than two colors I don't like.
Old 01-08-2014, 06:44 AM

Sometimes a line of fabrics contains the same print in many colors. Not what I like in my quilts!
Old 01-08-2014, 06:51 AM

I have favorite fabric lines but that doesn't determine what I buy. Cost is a big determination. I also get on a color kick, where I can't seem to get enough of one color. Right now I'm in my "red" phase.
Old 01-08-2014, 06:59 AM

Originally Posted by quilter2090 View Post
I don't buy any one fabric line at all. I buy if a fabric catches my eye, but, I don't buy the coordinating fabrics. I add the fabric to my stash and when I want to use it, I will look through my stash to find fabrics I liike with it.That way I have a totally unique quilt, one that no one else will have.
My thoughts exactly. I do appreciate the talented designers who created the lines and selected the colors, but I don't buy all the fabric for a quilt at once. I mostly use my stash. I rely on the designers' combinations of colors in my chosen focus fabric to help me identify other fabrics for the quilt.
Old 01-08-2014, 07:21 AM

I totally agree with your comment, NJ Quilter.
Old 01-08-2014, 10:12 AM

I have been sewing since I was a girl... Since I grew up in a post depression home we saved everything.. I have a stash of cotton fabric that is mind boggling at times.. yet, nothing really goes together like a collection does.

Now being retired, I'm only using what I have unless it's a special gift or I need backing, or I can't help myself when I see a new piece of fabric.. or.... or or. The truth is I have only once bought all the fabric for a quilt top, and it was not a collection.

At this stage of the game I don't think I'll ever justify buying fabric from one line to make a quilt.. But they look so beautiful together, almost makes me wish I'd rethink my plan.
Old 01-08-2014, 10:43 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

I guess I am the lone wolf who buys fabric lines and uses them. I love fat quarter bundles! I make Jenny Doan quilts, which she uses layer cakes, jelly rolls and charm packs. I also make scrappy quilts. I buy quilt kits and know that someone else picked out all the fabric for me but -- I loved the quilt in the magazines and just had to make it just like it was in the magazine and was thrilled that they offered a kit for it. So call the 'Quilt Police' on me. I've been quilting since 1992, so I'm no beginner. I've made advanced quilts many of times. I don't enjoy the process of having 20 different fabrics laying on the counter trying to match them to make a quilt. Not my idea of fun. I'm not good at that. It comes easy to many people. Unfortunately, I'm not one of those people.
Old 01-08-2014, 11:50 AM
Power Poster

I don't think I have ever purchased fabric for a quilt from one fabric line. Usually, I buy what jumps out at me. Well, really a fabric that really catches my eye, which is generally my focus fabric, then I will choose coordinating fabrics from there. I was taught to have different scales in fabric, large, medium to small, and then solid or a fabric that reads as a solid, more if you want more colors. Also, check the selvedge on the focus fabric, you will generally see circles of colors that were used in that fabric, and there you have the way to choose fabrics that will go together. Hope this helps.
Old 01-08-2014, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
I believe it's a huge creative disadvantage to limit consideration to a single fabric line. Some of the best coordinates I've ever found have been not only across lines, but across manufacturers. I have way too much fun playing with color, texture, scale, value, and motion to let some designer dictate what fabric I use with what.
I totally agree with this. The fun of creating a project lies in selecting the fabrics and all that goes with it. This is also why I don't buy kits.. well that and the high cost.
Old 01-08-2014, 12:49 PM

I know I own designer fabrics, but I have no idea which ones they are. Once they get to my home they are sorted by color and size only. If it works for my current project, it gets used. I have no idea who made most of my stash but that is not the only part of my life that defies labeling. I have owned designer clothes too and never could remember who designed them either...