Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric price >

Fabric price

Fabric price

Old 08-01-2011, 06:46 AM

I understand that the price of raw cotton has jumped sky high!! All my LQS are now at $10 - $12 a yard! I bought flannel backing the other day and even with a 25% discount, it cost me $40!!!!!!!
Old 08-01-2011, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by Rosyhf
Originally Posted by fhcorliss
You'll have to post a picture of your project. Our quilt group is making a bug jar quilt for a raffle to help the Peace Valley Nature Park.
I made two bug jar quilts when it was the rage on the web. I made just the plain bugs and then I made the one with the actual pp bugs on top of the jar.

When my friends came to visit me from Australia and told me how much the fabric would cost there and they so wanted to make the bug quilts...I shared my bug stash with them and didn't even make a dent lol.....
Speaking of bug fabric --- have you checked:

http://www.bugfabric.com/index.htm
Old 08-01-2011, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
location seems to really matter---
prices vary so drastically-

last time i visited joannes here i saw that they were charging more than the lqs --- for walmart quality or less fabric...seems someone mentioned to them that the cotton market was on the rise and decided to get a jump on it---or maybe they are just trying to pay for their new stores-
i really felt their fabric was much less than desirable-and over a dollar a yard more than the expensive quilt shop in our area.
i am so glad we still have a couple lqs' that have not gone that route- i can still get wonderful quilting cottons for $7.50 a yard up to $8.98
i think some of those (big chain stores) have raised their prices to ridiculous amounts because they send out all those coupons-
i will continue to keep my lqs in business and avoid the big chains with their shoddy quality, ridiculous prices and horrible customer service
Ain't that the truth? I agree with you about less-than-desirable fabric at JoAnns and Walmart. My feeling is that if I'm going to go to all the work to make a quilt, I want the fabric to stay colorful and in one piece. One of my first quilts was made with fabric from JoAnns about 20 years ago. That quilt is simply shredding apart and the colors have faded horribly. QS fabrics from 20 years ago look as good as they did the day I bought them.

Besides - I love to fondle good fabric!
Old 08-02-2011, 05:30 PM

I have been to a Fabricland in Woodstock Ontario. It has been several years but boy the prices were steep them
Old 08-02-2011, 05:37 PM

I was at the International Quilt show last weekend and they were selling FQ's for 3.25 each!!
Old 08-02-2011, 05:40 PM

I would never pay those prices. That why I love scrap quilts so much.
Judy
Old 08-02-2011, 05:53 PM

Most of the stuff at JoAnn's is crap. I bought a couple of their BOM that were reduced to 3.99 and they would have been nice except the fabric was so thin and flimsy. I think if I had paid the original 7.99 price, I would have brought it right back. Atleast I get to keep the patterns.
Old 08-02-2011, 05:55 PM
Cyn

Yikes!
Old 08-02-2011, 05:55 PM

wow that is going to hurt the pocketbook

Barter system sounds good to me
Old 08-08-2011, 11:04 AM

Here in Port Charlotte, Fl the LQS's are getting more than they used to the newer fabrics are 12.99 or 13.99 yd and if you need a lot of yds that's getting to much. I think they chg more for their patterns than a whole book. You have to watch what you buy. I guess that's why so many go out of business even tho their fabric is nice it cost to much to make anything of size. Sue