Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric Prices Going Up....Again >

Fabric Prices Going Up....Again

Fabric Prices Going Up....Again

Old 04-04-2011, 03:17 PM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

Originally Posted by Lori S
I loved those machines! I thought they were so neat! To bad when the whole double knits era began they were taken out, since often the fabric got stretched.
Is that why they went away? I always wondered!
Old 04-04-2011, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
Right not Connecting Threads has nice fabric for under $3 a yard. Buy it!
I've got 5 samples due in the mail anytime now from Connecting Threads. I hope it is what I want.
Old 04-04-2011, 03:28 PM

Even with coupons, our area Joann's and Hancock's, Hobby Lobby and Michael's are about to be out of my range. I love online shopping. It is easier to compare shop and I try to stay with free shippng. Today I had a large order from the Thriftyneedle.com. I don't shop there real often, but I could not turn down some things today. I got two new patterns for half off and some cloth by the pattern designer for thirty, and twenty per cent off. Had to pay shipping though.
Old 04-04-2011, 03:29 PM

I took a class at my LQS on March 26 and instructor said they have been told prices of cotton will go up 120% by the end of the year. Most fabrics are $9-$12 now so the average price will be about $20 if that's true.
Old 04-04-2011, 06:55 PM

Thanks for your answer. Afraid you're right.
Originally Posted by QKO
Originally Posted by PiecesinMn
I understand why the price increase in fabric. Why would that change the price in notions????
Originally Posted by plainpat
Was in a LQS this wk end & noticed prices had gone up, at least twice since I was there a month ago.This is not a big shop in a tourist location,but a small place in a working class neighborhood.
Most new cottons were $12.49 yd.Quilting notions were off the chart.I was just looking & didn't need a thing.Only saw one customer making a small purchase.Not looking good for LQSs or quilters needing fabric.
A couple of reasons. Many notions, like rulers, are made from plastic, and since plastic products are made from oil, all plastic products are increasing in price. Also oil prices are affecting manufacturing costs and transportation costs on everything -- pretty much everything you use in your life uses oil to produce and transport.

Secondly, distributors, and some shop owners, are trying to average dramatic cost increases in some areas (like fabrics) across many products, so if fabric goes up by a dollar or two a yard, they may choose to spread some of that increase in the overall cost of doing business to other articles they distribute to stores, or as a store owner, retail to the public.
Old 04-05-2011, 02:49 AM

Originally Posted by plainpat
Was in a LQS this wk end & noticed prices had gone up, at least twice since I was there a month ago.This is not a big shop in a tourist location,but a small place in a working class neighborhood.
Most new cottons were $12.49 yd.Quilting notions were off the chart.I was just looking & didn't need a thing.Only saw one customer making a small purchase.Not looking good for LQSs or quilters needing fabric.

In one quilt shop recently where some of their fabrics were $35 per metre! Guess who didn't buy any! $12.49 per yard? I wish.
Old 04-05-2011, 03:07 AM
Swap Hosts

I would never pay that much for fabric. Never. Too spoiled by Walmart and Joann sales, not to mention great estate sale finds.
Old 04-05-2011, 03:25 AM

I guess we will all have to consider returning to the "spirit of our Grandmothers" with price increases...

I wonder what I have in my closet that I can cut up???
Old 04-05-2011, 04:26 AM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

Originally Posted by kaykwilts
I guess we will all have to consider returning to the "spirit of our Grandmothers" with price increases...

I wonder what I have in my closet that I can cut up???
Don't cut it up unless you're sure you are done wearing it!

Remember... if the cost of cloth is going up, that means the cost of clothing will also go up.
Old 04-05-2011, 04:35 AM

as the oil prices goes up so will everything else I think we are heaed for some scary times as it is getting so the farmer cannot even afford the fuel to plant and harvest crops so food prices will sky rocket