Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric Prices Going Up....Again >

Fabric Prices Going Up....Again

Fabric Prices Going Up....Again

Old 04-05-2011, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by Lori S
We hit $12.50 per yard here, about 6 weeks ago. I was a bit shocking, and it did affect my final purchase.
Hate to say it but .....I love the LQS .....but , I have been buying more and more at on -line sales.
I just hate were this economy and cotton prices have taken me. I considered myself a commited consumer to my LQS, as I feel strongley about supporting local business.... but my wallet is smaller than it was ... and I am forced to balance the issues of online vs LQS.
That's so true for me, too. While I haven't seen $12.50 a yard yet, I primarily sew charity quilts so I have to be careful about what I pay for fabric that I'm going to give away. I shop at the thrift shops for fabric, but that is pretty limited. I have also started shopping online even though I really want to support local LQS. I have 4 LQS near me and have chosen one that I plan to support. I hate to drive by the the other 3 but based on fabric selection, friendliness, and available notions, I have selected the one that is my favorite and spend $ there.
Old 04-05-2011, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by purrfectquilts
Fabric is certainly high enough here in Columbus, GA!! I needed one yard for binding a large quilt and I needed it yesterday because the quilt was being delivered on Wednesday. So off to the LQS I go, rather than JoAnns or Hancocks because I wanted a good quality. I picked by color and didn't check the price. I had just gotten some at the same shop a short while ago. Came to more than $12 with tax. What a shock.

I was telling my son about that experience and how that would affect future quilts. His answer was "You are just going to have to pass the cost on." That sounds logical, but people's incomes are going down, not up. It was his final remark that got me though. He told me "We just look at them as something to put on the bed, not something to cherish." What? I spend hundreds of dollars on each one!!
not to cherish? OOOOOOOOOOOOOOh OUCH! Wondering just how many more quilts he will get to JUST put on the bed! But think about this: less fabric for you to buy!
Old 04-05-2011, 06:45 AM

Went to a quilt/craft show a couple weeks ago & fabrics averaged $9-11/yard from most vendors (Sacramento, CA).
However, several fabrics were older lines &/or not the greatest quality. You had to know what you were looking for and at. I bought fabrics for 2 projects. Not bad, considering how many possibilities there were to choose from.
Old 04-05-2011, 06:46 AM

What's really sad is a friend told me when she visited one of her favorite shops recently, she saw older fabric that had been on the shelf for a while, with a new higher price. Seems the shop owner adjusted the prices of all her fabrics upwards to match the pricier new stuff. My friend was so mad she walked out without making a single purchase!
Old 04-05-2011, 06:46 AM

Alaska Sunshine, Great photo of your stash! Where did you obtain all the cardboard bolt frames to be so organized (or whatever you call those things)?
: )
Old 04-05-2011, 06:48 AM

In answer to the person who asked about prices for fabric going down if there is a bumper crop on cotton this next year, I say...prices don't seem to go down, only up...
Old 04-05-2011, 06:53 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
Right not Connecting Threads has nice fabric for under $3 a yard. Buy it!
their fabric is going up AND it is getting thinner....the last batch of Mirage blenders I bought were so thin you could read a magazine thru the yellow one!
Old 04-05-2011, 07:08 AM

At Hobby Lobby last week, all prices are adjusted UPwards. Thankfully, they
missed increasing Warm and Natural all cotton batting price. Don't understand
that .... At any rate, we will all be using up our "stash" sooner than expected.
Old 04-05-2011, 07:11 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by QuiltQtrs
At Hobby Lobby last week, all prices are adjusted UPwards. Thankfully, they
missed increasing Warm and Natural all cotton batting price. Don't understand
that .... At any rate, we will all be using up our "stash" sooner than expected.
and HL is fixing to go UP again this week!
Old 04-05-2011, 07:36 AM

Oh I see that! Isn't that maddening? The actual commodity (cotton) is almost $200 a share.