Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric Prices Going Up....Again >

Fabric Prices Going Up....Again

Fabric Prices Going Up....Again

Old 04-05-2011, 08:51 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by mommafank
Well looks like you could go without buying for sometime if you could bear to go cold turkey. LOL
trust me, this is only a portion of the room(s)....and in here there are no less 18 queen size quilts in bins ready to sew!

I give up..I am done....no more buying, which I did while I was working 3-4 jobs the last 5 years...now I am unemployed, closing my online shop and going back to MAKING things....
Old 04-05-2011, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
Originally Posted by mommafank
Well looks like you could go without buying for sometime if you could bear to go cold turkey. LOL
trust me, this is only a portion of the room(s)....and in here there are no less 18 queen size quilts in bins ready to sew!

I give up..I am done....no more buying, which I did while I was working 3-4 jobs the last 5 years...now I am unemployed, closing my online shop and going back to MAKING things....
Good luck, enjoy and share some pictures.

:)
Old 04-05-2011, 08:59 AM

Got a newsletter from a LQS in Arizona last night and the price of cotton going up is addressed. I will copy and paste for it is very interesting. If we here in the U.S. would stop outsourcing (as in cotton mills) we could maybe get somewhere. Here goes.....

COTTON PRICES INCREASE

There has been a drastic increase in the price of cotton as most of you will notice when you purchase fabric. The largest grower of cotton is China, second is India followed by the United States. The price is determined by supply and demand.

The price of cotton has gone up from 62 cents per pound to $1.65 per pound. China and India are not exporting cotton anymore and the world's need for cotton has grown. When a shortage occurs, the price will go up (Fab Shop News Dec. 2010). Another problem is the people speculating in cotton. When that happens and supply does not equal demand the price will go up because the speculators want to drive that price up regardless of what those of us who sell and buy the produce can afford. Another issue is that eighty percent of the cotton produced in the United States is exported as we no longer have the mills here as we did years ago to produce the finished goods.

As with the price of gasoline we as shopowner's do not know when this increase will level off and price increases will end.
Old 04-05-2011, 09:39 AM

As I understand it there are no longer any mills in the United States anymore......last one closing in Dec 2010. So naturally the cost is going to go up...up.....up.

:(

Marilyn
Old 04-05-2011, 09:39 AM

As I understand it there are no longer any mills in the United States anymore......last one closing in Dec 2010. So naturally the cost is going to go up...up.....up.

:(

Marilyn
Old 04-05-2011, 10:00 AM

We "once" had one here in central TX, Mission Valley Cotton Mill in New Braunfels. I have relatives who worked there, as did one uncle when he was just a young soldier home from WWII. I had many a school dresses that my mother made for me from fabric that came from there due to her brother working there. Not exactly sure what year they closed but I have an aunt in her mid 90's that retired from this mill.

In the meantime, the building which covered 5 lots is being developed into a complex of businesses and renamed "Rivermill Texas. "
http://www.rivermilltexas.com/index.html
Old 04-05-2011, 10:01 AM

One local shop here where I live is online, but they do not ship fabric, etc.

Where do you pick up your fabric?
Robin in TX
Old 04-05-2011, 10:39 AM

I live in Vermont and the prices have gone up here, but not $12 yard! YIKES. They were always around $8-$8.50 and now are running between $9.50-$10.15/yard.

This is really sad as I know how much I love fabric, but there has got to come a point when you have to just say NO!

On a happy note, I have always felt extremely guilty for the stash that I own (I can't tell you how much I have, but let's say I could probably have paid a years worth of college for one of our daughters with it). Now I sit and smile at my stash (lots was purchased back in 2005 for $5/yard for the 'good stuff' - this is when I started quilting). This is my fabric fund that I can look at with pleasure now and not guilt, as I was such a wise shopper to get it at all those amazing old prices and hoarding it was clever too.

So, now I have a reason to use my stash. Most of the new stuff really looks like the old stuff anyways. I designer can only come out with so many lines until they all just start looking identical to me.

Just my .02

Suzanne
Old 04-05-2011, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by MYWR
90% of the time I am relegated to Joann's. the only quilt shop here is a 5- minute drive - I usually buy online - on sale and without shipping. Tax here is 9.5% but no State income tax - it all works out - but I am afraid to go into Joann's this week. . . the flyer in the newpaper had virtually no fabric on it - but I need some batting so. . . $12/yd adds up too quickly for me
Better use the 40% off coupon that is in the ad
Old 04-05-2011, 10:47 AM

Makes those with huge stashes glad they spent all that money when they did, no need to buy now. I will continue to buy fabrics to finish projects, but only when it is on sale