Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric Prices Going Up....Again >

Fabric Prices Going Up....Again

Fabric Prices Going Up....Again

Old 04-05-2011, 01:23 PM

[quote=mzsooz]I would like to address the sale and clearance prices on our fabrics. When you see these fabrics on the clearance table and are marked down considerably just remember this.....they are probably selling those fabrics at BELOW their own cost. And when you see the 20% or so discounts they are probably selling their fabrics AT COST. That means NO PROFIT. They are counting on you coming in for those discounted items and being impulsive and buying other regularly priced items. They used to call these "loss leaders". Not sure if that term is still used but I know this practice is quite common.

Promos and sales have been around as long as man has been selling. The issue isn't the lure factor it's the mark up factor'the hook'. I have worked in different fields even in dental it is done. In the majority of cases stores have made a deal with the wholesaler for the promo item and have themselves been cut a big break so a sale of 20% off is not a serious loss to them. damaged goods can be returned to the mnufacturer unless the store owner has not negotiated that or is spineless. I don't feel sorry for the stores on their mark ups/markdowns. It is a well known practice to mark items up then cross out the price and make it appear as though they are sacrifically doing something for you that is a loss tothem financially. Granted a smaller store has less negotiating power then a large one or a chain, but none the less they still have control when it comes to buying goods. If you think they are taking a sacrificil loss think again- the higher prices make up for what they didn't get the fist time around. The mistake many smaller shops in our area have made is snobbery- believing if they are gracing everyone with their mere existance and people will automatically and unquestionably flock to their doors. We have a small business too and competing in th market with the big dogs isn't easy so we find our own nitch, provide complete customer and client care and take on the challenge of the big dogs when needed. With the economy the way it is it is fool hearty to assume you will have customers flocking to you- you have to compete. Frankly that's no a bad thing, when someone has a corner on market that's a problem.
Old 04-05-2011, 01:25 PM

I received a catalog from Connecting Threads just this week and they have fabric as low as $4.96 a yard.
Old 04-05-2011, 03:00 PM

Hey.....you are still very lucky.....like here in Australia for the imported US material which is 100% made in the US & which is pre-shrunk & pre-dyed....& its the fabrics by Moda, Thimbleberries, Kaufman, Andover & some others made in Texas....sit down now - & don't faint....top of the range & depending which store - $49.95 a yeard.......!!!! We pay for the shipping & the middle man...ie reps displaying etc & overheads of the store factoring the cost....plus wages of staff is all built into the price that we pay for those fabrics listed......& some are as high as $79.95 a yard!!!

And those named materials are the only ones I buy....but of course whenst I come to visit the relatives twice a year....then like blimey I do buy up big there.

Cheers..moggie (Australian lone quilter)
Old 04-05-2011, 03:28 PM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
Originally Posted by mzsooz
I would like to address the sale and clearance prices on our fabrics. When you see these fabrics on the clearance table and are marked down considerably just remember this.....they are probably selling those fabrics at BELOW their own cost. And when you see the 20% or so discounts they are probably selling their fabrics AT COST. That means NO PROFIT. They are counting on you coming in for those discounted items and being impulsive and buying other regularly priced items. They used to call these "loss leaders". Not sure if that term is still used but I know this practice is quite common.

I always stopped at all the Alco stores in Idaho and Wyoming when traveling. Was I ever disappointed to find they had discontinued their fabric departments. Wonder if next time I travel through that enough people will have complained that they have brought it back. Sure hope so.

My brother worked at Kmart and he told me they would have a huge sale on a camera that was well below Kmart's cost just to get you in the door. Of course if it is like most kmarts you would have to get a rain check on it! :lol: :lol:
LOSS leaders are still being used. Often manufacturers like MODA, will have a certain LOSER line they know will bring buyers into the shops, and then of course you can't find all of that line, so the shop has to steer you to OTHER lines to fill your gaps...amazing how those OTHER lines blends so well....hehehe

You are going to see the return of FLAT folds, RK goods, etc at places like Hancock fabrics and Joanns...I remember when Joanns bought out fabric world...those flat folds were our staples....but Joanns did away with them...I still have some of that GOOD cotton fabric..ehhehe

now a days you can buy them from Troy, and other "mercantile" named fabric warehouses...they are just the OLD lines that used to end up at Walmart, Alco, TG&Y, etc...not necessarily lesser quality, just ones that did not sell from the distributors warehouses, so they sold them out to the buyers for these stores.
Old 04-05-2011, 03:35 PM

The owner of one of my LQS said to expect the cost increase to be between $6 - $8 yard over the next years time. I think my stash may get a bit smaller because at that cost I will be very paticular when purchasing.
Old 04-05-2011, 03:40 PM

Come on, quilters are smart people, we will find away to buy material. Put a small add in the paper, go to rummage sales and ask if any one knows of a person that is giving up quilting, like an older relative, neighbor thats moving, estate sales, and so on. Do not go to auctions, they go nuts over material. I make up little cards, with my phone number,and what I`m looking for, (cotton & washable) let them know up front what size box or bag you want and how much you are willing to pay. Then I go to rummage sales and asked if they know some one like that and if they do I leave a card. It can`t hurt.
Old 04-05-2011, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by Barbshobbies
Come on, quilters are smart people, we will find away to buy material. Put a small add in the paper, go to rummage sales and ask if any one knows of a person that is giving up quilting, like an older relative, neighbor thats moving, estate sales, and so on. Do not go to auctions, they go nuts over material. I make up little cards, with my phone number,and what I`m looking for, (cotton & washable) let them know up front what size box or bag you want and how much you are willing to pay. Then I go to rummage sales and asked if they know some one like that and if they do I leave a card. It can`t hurt.
She is so right----think about the pioneer quilters----bet they did not have a LQS and I know they did not have Walmart or JoAnnes!

:lol:
Old 04-05-2011, 03:51 PM

I think this article may give us a perspective going forward
it worth the reading time.
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/29/bu.../29cotton.html
Old 04-05-2011, 03:53 PM

Maybe we should all invest in cotton as a commodity instead of buying fabric with our dollars? Not quite the same thrill, I know.
Old 04-05-2011, 03:55 PM

I haven't been home in the past few months, we're back in Wa next month I might be shocked at the fabric prices, I know where IM at right now there is no fabric stores, Joann's nothing, Henderson Las Vegas will be the next place Im going too and they have several quilt stores, so we'll see, I do alot of shopping at Joann's but last time I was there alot of 8 to 9 a yd