Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric Prices Going Up....Again >

Fabric Prices Going Up....Again

Fabric Prices Going Up....Again

Old 04-05-2011, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by moggie
Hey.....you are still very lucky.....like here in Australia for the imported US material which is 100% made in the US & which is pre-shrunk & pre-dyed....& its the fabrics by Moda, Thimbleberries, Kaufman, Andover & some others made in Texas....sit down now - & don't faint....top of the range & depending which store - $49.95 a yeard.......!!!! We pay for the shipping & the middle man...ie reps displaying etc & overheads of the store factoring the cost....plus wages of staff is all built into the price that we pay for those fabrics listed......& some are as high as $79.95 a yard!!!

And those named materials are the only ones I buy....but of course whenst I come to visit the relatives twice a year....then like blimey I do buy up big there.

Cheers..moggie (Australian lone quilter)
I guess we forget how lucky we are here--when I go overseas I am always amazed at how much more some places are paying for gas, books, food, cloth, clothes, etc. But when we are used to "cheaper" prices for fabric, it is a shock to our system. I am using scraps now that I would have thrown away before. The higher prices here are certainly making me more thrifty--which is a good thing in the long run both for the environment and my pocketbook.
Old 04-05-2011, 04:21 PM

I live within 40 minutes of four WM stores and not one of them has fabric.. so tell me, writerwomen, where is your WM? It might be worth the gas for me to go there. Especially if I gather up a bunch of my quilting buddies to share the fuel costs.
Melody :mrgreen:

Originally Posted by writerwomen
Don't know if any of you are near a Walmart but our local one had 500 price cuts in their fabric department Monday- April 4. It's time to change out the seasonal stuff again.
Seems I as one of the last around here to know about it- the dept was swamped and the cuting line long- so unlike normal
Old 04-05-2011, 04:39 PM

"when it comes to products being made from cotton...then house insulations...other textiles![/quote]jaciqltznok

You may be mistaken about modern insulation, at least in the U.S. Building insulation is made of #1=Fiberglass (this is the itchy horrible stuff you don't want to work with without a good mask), #2=Cellulose, which is a wood fiber like newspaper shredded...no cotton here. I am a licensed builder. You can read more about it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cellulose_insulation
"Cellulose is the oldest building insulation material. Many types of cellulosic materials have been used (in the past), including newspaper, cardboard, cotton, straw, sawdust, hemp and corncob. Modern cellulose insulation, made with recycled newspaper, using grinding and dust removing machines and adding a fire retardant, began in the 1950s and came into general use in the US during the 1970s."

I think the real reason the price is up is that the third world is becoming more prosperous & are now part of world demand for clothing, blankets & all things textile! As builders we noticed a sharp increase in concrete (poured-in-place), as well as lumber prices about 15 years ago, due to massive building in China...it has never gone down again. Same idea. If you plan to build something for yourself, better do it sooner than later; it will only get harder to afford.
Old 04-05-2011, 04:44 PM

All this makes my head spin...guess I better get to a LQS and find the sale section. That will cure what ails me. :-)
Old 04-05-2011, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by writerwomen
My mother talked of shopping for dress fabric at the grain mill. Chicken feed sacks were made of exactly one yard of fabric. The bags were in a variety of fabrics- Each dress required 3 yards so the next girl out of 5 who needed one got to pick the sacks- the guys working the grainery would have to move stacks and stacks of bags for ladies shopping this way to get the number of bags in a certain fabric.
This is just so wonderful to read about. My grandma probably had this experience as well. Thank you for sharing this!
Old 04-05-2011, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
seriously....it is like an addiction and you have to own up to it and walk away from it...move on....or else...
Yes, I am seeing DeJa Vu in my sewing room;)
Old 04-05-2011, 06:31 PM

My LQS is still selling fabric $8.50 yd. FQ $2.20.
Old 04-05-2011, 07:21 PM

Our LQS just went out of business. apparently couldn't compete with Joanne's.
Old 04-05-2011, 07:34 PM

I needed 2 more yds of Duckcloth to add to an already finished project on 3/28 it was 6.99 not on sale- yesterday after a 40% cp it was 9.99 a yd. needless to say its still at JoAnns till the mailman brings me my new sale paper,its a paying gig but I can"t spend other peoples money any differently than I would my own This keeps up I may end up in a strait jacket I hear with-drawals are hard to get thru :-P :-P
Old 04-05-2011, 09:40 PM

I just can't fathom pay $12.50/yd for quilting cotton. It's a good thing I have a large stash.