Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric Prices Going Up....Again >

Fabric Prices Going Up....Again

Fabric Prices Going Up....Again

Old 04-05-2011, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by glenda5253
I just can't fathom pay $12.50/yd for quilting cotton. It's a good thing I have a large stash.
Do the math...just a small lap quilt, charity quilt or baby quilt would cost over $100 just for fabric. Add on batting, thread and any embellishments...yikes! Unless you are very wealthy or don't care how you spend your money that's just prohibitively expensive. Cotton prices may be going up but fabric manufacturers know how to dangle that carrot with their advertising and clever marketing and they know that there are those who will spend anything just to have the newest collection to add to their stash. Quiltmaking is a wonderful hobby and creative endeavor but we do not have to be victims to greedy price-gouging tactics. It's just like anything else in the economy...supply and demand...if we refuse to pay those prices they will eventually come down.
Old 04-05-2011, 10:31 PM

Fabric out of my stash will be getting used more now. I have enough fabric to last me for a couple of years *L* so might as well use it up. I will just plan any quilts I want to make around what I have on hand and call it good. I am leaning towards more scrappy ones...I have lots of odds and ends. My sister gave me 3 big bags of batting she got at a yard sale for $1 a bag..they are rolls of batting in the huge black leaf bags. Linda b.
Old 04-06-2011, 02:42 AM

I refuse to pay that much for fabric. I will be forced to use up my stash and when it is gone, I will stop quilting. But I will probably be dead before that happens and my friends will get my stash.
Old 04-06-2011, 03:17 AM

I will never pay those prices for fabric.Can't afford it,but wouldn't pay even if I could.
Working on a scrappy sofa throw from stash now.After that, will stick with stash & fabrics bought on sale/clearance prices.
Have made enough bed size quilts,so making lap quilts,table runners & sofa throws works for me.Less fabric used & no need of a LA quilter.
Remembering when my Grma made quilts needed to keep her family warm,using gray wool blankets for batting & feed sacks / sheets for the outer cover.They were tied, lasted forever & had nothing to do with a hobby.....such as most quilting is today.

Originally Posted by kuntryquilter
I refuse to pay that much for fabric. I will be forced to use up my stash and when it is gone, I will stop quilting. But I will probably be dead before that happens and my friends will get my stash.
Old 04-06-2011, 03:22 AM

Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics
Originally Posted by kaykwilts
I guess we will all have to consider returning to the "spirit of our Grandmothers" with price increases...

I wonder what I have in my closet that I can cut up???
Don't cut it up unless you're sure you are done wearing it!

Remember... if the cost of cloth is going up, that means the cost of clothing will also go up.
oh, honey...I really have just too many clothes in my closet. My closet space would rejoice loudly if I cut up some of my clothes!! 8-) My clothes usually beg me to cut them up, as they all talk(usually at night ;) ) about how those of them that get cut up are more appreciated in the quilt they end up in than they are hanging around to be worn ;) ;) :lol: :lol:
Old 04-06-2011, 08:45 AM

Ebay may be cheaper way
Old 04-06-2011, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics
I guess we will all have to consider returning to the "spirit of our Grandmothers" with price increases...

I wonder what I have in my closet that I can cut up???
Don't cut it up unless you're sure you are done wearing it!

Remember... if the cost of cloth is going up, that means the cost of clothing will also go up.
oh, honey...I really have just too many clothes in my closet. My closet space would rejoice loudly if I cut up some of my clothes!! 8-) My clothes usually beg me to cut them up, as they all talk(usually at night ;) ) about how those of them that get cut up are more appreciated in the quilt they end up in than they are hanging around to be worn ;) ;) :lol: :lol:
We have had fun cutting clothes up for projects. I used the top portion of jeans and plaid shirts to make some aprons for our 13 year old sons art class. He came home and said the kids just squealed with delight over them- 'so cool. Look at all the pockets, this gives me an idea for my moblie, and so on' Be inspired, not fearful and your closet will thank you.
We were just watching the bio on Kay Thompson- Actor, singer etc as the famed author of Eloise. Her friends spoke of her flair and the way she utilized materials for other purposes to include wearing a dress inside out when she liked the look of that side of the fabric better. Get the scissors and go for it
Old 04-06-2011, 01:56 PM

There are 2 LQS within 10 miles of each other and I shopped at both today. One is a small shop but growing and shelves are more full now than I've ever seen them. And for the first that I've noticed, since I usually shop the bargain shelves,the prices are $10 on all fabrics. The bargain shelf is all $5.50. But there is a small section of solids that are $6. This is the first that they've stocked Moda.

The other shop is quite large. I didn't even take a look at the prices but went straight to the several rows of shelves of bargains. All of those bolts are marked in the $8 to $9 range, but sale price is 35% off and 40% if you finish the bolt. I finished 3 bolts. I love a bargain!
Old 04-08-2011, 02:43 PM

The price of cotton has jumped 128%.
Old 04-08-2011, 02:46 PM

Oh my....glad I have my big stash of fabrics!!!