Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric Prices >

Fabric Prices

Fabric Prices

Old 05-01-2010, 07:25 AM
Power Poster

I buy fabric no matter the print or color if it is high quality and at a clearance price.
Old 05-01-2010, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by butterflywing
how come when anything bad happens we thank washington and not the greedy fabric manufacturers? just so they won't feel left out, i say:

THANK YOU GREEDY AMERICAN FABRIC MANUFACTURERS WHO BUY FOREIGN COTTON AS WELL AS OUR OWN AND HAVE IT MILLED OVERSEAS AS WELL AND THEN BRING IT ON HOME AND SELL IT TO YOUR OWN COUNTRYMEN AT A GREATLY RAISED PRICE.
WE LOVE YOU FOR OUTSOURCING THE JOBS AND CHARGING US MORE MONEY. A DOUBLE WHAMMY FOR US AND A DOUBLE YIPPEE! FOR YOU.

I agree with you Butterfly Wing. And on another note, I don't believe boycotting our LQSs is the answer. As much as I don't like paying the LQS prices, I really don't want to see ours go out of business. Our local store (even it is 15 miles from me), provides a place for classes and always is helpful if you have questions (and always answers those questions with a smile). They have beautiful fabric, too. (If you are in the area, drop by and visit them---The Sewing Cottage, Martel, CA.)
Old 05-01-2010, 08:58 AM

NEVER THE INCOME!
Old 05-01-2010, 09:28 AM

patronize your local thrift store on half price day, lots of great finds
Old 05-01-2010, 11:30 AM

Talking abut fabric prices. Last week I bought several yards of fabric to make little boy's pillow cases (cowboy designs, etc.) at the LQS at $10.98. Yesterday I was in Hobby Lobby where they had the identical fabric at $7.98 less 30%. Identical! Not a copy. Taught me a lesson, from now on I will check there before buying at the LQS. HL doesn't have the selection of fabrics and I agree that the L has to make money, but that is a large markup. Anyone else noticed that?

I'd like to support the LQS, but I have limited income and need to count my cents.
Old 05-01-2010, 12:19 PM

fabric is fabric, no matter if it's last years, this years, or cut from used clothing. If you really want to quilt, it won't make a difference. What will hurt is the batting and backing. I think more of us will piece the back.
Old 05-01-2010, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by Gilla
Talking abut fabric prices. Last week I bought several yards of fabric to make little boy's pillow cases (cowboy designs, etc.) at the LQS at $10.98. Yesterday I was in Hobby Lobby where they had the identical fabric at $7.98 less 30%. Identical! Not a copy. Taught me a lesson, from now on I will check there before buying at the LQS. HL doesn't have the selection of fabrics and I agree that the L has to make money, but that is a large markup. Anyone else noticed that?

I'd like to support the LQS, but I have limited income and need to count my cents.
Many of them definitely have a high markup. I do actually use one that doesn't have such a huge mark up and has a lot of high quality fabric on sale, sad to say not the one in my city, I travel 20 minutes. But if they all hike their prices I will be looking elsewhere.
Old 05-01-2010, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by grandma Janice
fabric is fabric, no matter if it's last years, this years, or cut from used clothing. If you really want to quilt, it won't make a difference. What will hurt is the batting and backing. I think more of us will piece the back.
your right .. I forgot all about the back..Guess when JoAnn's puts the 50% off on sale for 50%off that I'll have to stock up . Thanks, grandma janice
Old 05-01-2010, 12:57 PM

Fabric is already a crazy price here in Ireland (and UK) there are one or two places to buy bargains. I tend to buy on the interent (from the US) and nearly always buy sale fabrics - I dont think I have even bought a current seasons fabric!!!

Our LQS sells fabric for €11, that is about $17(US) a metre.
Old 05-01-2010, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by Janetlmt
My LQS has the top lines of fabric and they are all 9.99 a yard. I don't know how they stay in business. I can get the same thing in Lancaster PA for 6.50 a yard. What gives?
Your local quilt store doesn't do the volume that they do in Lancaster. If you look at the stores in Lancaster, they have other items that they can receive revenue from - art, local crafts (and true Amish craftsmen don't let their stuff be given away!), food, awful knit fabrics that the Amish use for clothes, etc. So they are willing to take less profit on each yard, becasue it can be made up in other areas.