Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric Prices >

Fabric Prices

Fabric Prices

Old 05-01-2010, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by butterflywing
how come when anything bad happens we thank washington and not the greedy fabric manufacturers? just so they won't feel left out, i say:

THANK YOU GREEDY AMERICAN FABRIC MANUFACTURERS WHO BUY FOREIGN COTTON AS WELL AS OUR OWN AND HAVE IT MILLED OVERSEAS AS WELL AND THEN BRING IT ON HOME AND SELL IT TO YOUR OWN COUNTRYMEN AT A GREATLY RAISED PRICE.
WE LOVE YOU FOR OUTSOURCING THE JOBS AND CHARGING US MORE MONEY. A DOUBLE WHAMMY FOR US AND A DOUBLE YIPPEE! FOR YOU.
I can't recall any manufacturer - fabric or otherwise - who gets things overseas becasue it costs more! Labor is cheap in other world countries, and I can't imagine how much things would cost if everything was made here! It's a global economy, and we had better get used to it! Not that I wouldn't like to spend less, but, unfortunately, I don't think that would be the result.
Old 05-01-2010, 02:00 PM

Connecting Threads is US grown cotton so we can keep our money here.
Old 05-01-2010, 02:13 PM

For backing, for the most part, muslin is still cheaper than regular fabric. But that will go up, too. Like someone said, we will get more creative. As far as last years, or this years fabric, who cares!! I look at them and occasionaly I buy, but I don't run out and buy this years fabric anymore than I would run out and buy this years fashions. I buy what I need when I need it and look for the best price. I do buy at my lqs, but not exclusively.
Old 05-01-2010, 03:58 PM

Well, with prices going up I just had to go get more. My lqs was having a sale and got some really good buys. The owner said that what she heard was that the price would increase 10 to 25 cents per yard starting June 1.
Old 05-01-2010, 04:24 PM
JJs
Banned

All I can say is thank heavens I have a decent STASH! Been collecting for several years ... when this is gone (LOL) then I won't quilt anymore - but believe me, there are lots and lots of "quilts" in there in the stash!

Went to JoAnns today - got some white and some dusty rose of the solid colors that was two dollars a yard - some of the new bolts of the same brand feel cruddy and very coarse and thin!
Also got some Kona Muslin with my 40% off coupon - spent less than $30! my DH was thrilled - so we went out to eat...

I don't think any industrialized nation is willing to go to back to the wages being paid in 3rd world countries but unless wages come down here product prices will continue to go up and jobs will disappear. I'm sorry but nobody is worth $30-$50 an hour to guide a robot and use an electric screwdriver!
Old 05-01-2010, 04:41 PM

Her we are complaining aboout $8.-$9.00 a yd. for fabric and look what PurpleBecca and the other Europeans sisters have to pay for fabric NOW. I feel guilty now,when I see their prices.
Old 05-01-2010, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by butterflywing
how come when anything bad happens we thank washington and not the greedy fabric manufacturers? just so they won't feel left out, i say:

THANK YOU GREEDY AMERICAN FABRIC MANUFACTURERS WHO BUY FOREIGN COTTON AS WELL AS OUR OWN AND HAVE IT MILLED OVERSEAS AS WELL AND THEN BRING IT ON HOME AND SELL IT TO YOUR OWN COUNTRYMEN AT A GREATLY RAISED PRICE.
WE LOVE YOU FOR OUTSOURCING THE JOBS AND CHARGING US MORE MONEY. A DOUBLE WHAMMY FOR US AND A DOUBLE YIPPEE! FOR YOU.
been on a trip and just getting to read this thread and I say to you...butterflywing.

YOU GO ...... GIRL..........put the blame where it belongs.
Old 05-01-2010, 05:37 PM

wow, that's for letting us know. I wish I could buy some before that date too.
Old 05-01-2010, 05:50 PM

Things could be worse. Down here, good quilting fabric costs $20 or more a metre (we have metrics down here), or if you want really nice fabric it's up to $25. Not sure who we have to thank for it, but that's the way it is. For example, on Thursday I paid $24 for four FQs at the Melbourne Quilt Show. We do have an equivalent of Joanne's, but nothing like as good or as large as in the US.

I imagine that will always be the case for us because most of our quilting fabrics come from the US to start with - unless they are from Asia, in which case they are sometimes not so flash and you wouldn't risk all your hard work with them.
Old 05-01-2010, 06:15 PM

Holy Cow, something else for us to stress about! I will try and get out and buy some fabric before the prices go up up up! I don't have a stash as many here do, so this is upsetting to me! I am retired w/a fixed income too and money sure doesn't go far on it! Bah Humbug to the fabric industry!!