Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric Prices >

Fabric Prices

Fabric Prices

Old 05-02-2010, 05:44 AM

BUTTERFLYWING, YOUR TWO COMMENTS ARE RIGHT ON THE SPOT. AMERICANS HAVE BEEN PAYING VERY HIGH PRICES FOR A LONG TIME FOR MANY PRODUCTS THAT ARE MADE ELSEWHERE IN FACTORIES WITH STANDARDS FAR BELOW SWEATSHOPS. THE MARKUPS ARE OUTRAGEOUS. AMERICA HAS BEEN BORROWING MONEY FROM THE SAME FOR QUITE SOME TIME. GO FIGURE.
Old 05-02-2010, 06:12 AM

While I agree that the rising price is upsetting, we might try to see the positive - good time to start using up our stash. I don't know about everyone else, but I own more fabric than I can evey get a chance to use already. Total honesty dictates that I disclose spending big on more fabric at a quilt show with great vendors as recently as yesterday but it's not June yet.l
Old 05-02-2010, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by aussiequilter
Trouble is: I think we don't support our LQSs, one day they won't be there. Then we will only be left with budget fabric stores, with no 'better' fabrics for our future heirloom quilts. Unless you are like me and they are all heirlooms. LOL.
I don't think that the LQS necessarily have better quality fabrics than some of the chains. I found (and bought) the identical fabrics at a well known LQS for $4 more than I could have bought it at Hobby Lobby. I think what I'll do from now on is look t the fabrics at chains first and if I cannot find what I want there, I'll go to the LQS. I am on retirement income and every penny counts. Very few of the local chains have sales that I have been aware of.
Old 05-02-2010, 06:55 AM

Lucky me, the quilt shop where I shop always has sale items on older fabrics. I have found some lovely pieces... come to Louisville, Ky. hee hee
Old 05-02-2010, 06:58 AM

Can't always blame the manufactor and the goverment on this one of prices going up. There was a bad cotton crop this year and with cosumers using more cotton world wide they have to ajust the prices to maintain there pricing so they can recover the lost profit that they rely on to make the fabric. If next year they have a bumper crop prices should come down. Think about all that flooding that has been going on world wide....do you think there was much cotton fields to harvast? It all hinges on supply and demand.
Old 05-02-2010, 07:07 AM

Have you ever seen prices going down? Locally banana prices were raised 12¢when gas prices went up and shipping was expensive. Signs all over "we must adjust for shipping." When gas came down, the price of the bananas came down by 2¢, i.e. the price went up by 10 cents and stayed up. Our local grocery chain is flooded with bananas all over the store, but the price is still up. I am not singling out bananas, but that price raise was so obvious. This happens with many items - first an excuse to raise the price, and then keep it there.
Old 05-02-2010, 07:17 AM

We can weather a price increase if it is gradual. BUT, a huge jump all of a sudden?
Old 05-02-2010, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by peabee
BUTTERFLYWING, YOUR TWO COMMENTS ARE RIGHT ON THE SPOT. AMERICANS HAVE BEEN PAYING VERY HIGH PRICES FOR A LONG TIME FOR MANY PRODUCTS THAT ARE MADE ELSEWHERE IN FACTORIES WITH STANDARDS FAR BELOW SWEATSHOPS. THE MARKUPS ARE OUTRAGEOUS. AMERICA HAS BEEN BORROWING MONEY FROM THE SAME FOR QUITE SOME TIME. GO FIGURE.
everyone feels the way they do. i feel that if the prices had been more reasonable and less greedy all along, then even a dramatic increase now would still keep the prices affordable. we'd sill gripe, of course, but it wouldn't hurt as much. even now, since the prices have been unrealistic for a long time, they don't have to 'jump' them. they can afford to ride on their previous gouging
(as i see it) but because their shareholders have a gimmee attitude, that's not apt to happen (as i see it).
Old 05-02-2010, 10:49 AM

dang!!
Old 05-02-2010, 11:13 AM

I second that too!!!!!!!! This just furiates me that cotten is included in the everything going up in cost.
Originally Posted by butterflywing
how come when anything bad happens we thank washington and not the greedy fabric manufacturers? just so they won't feel left out, i say:

THANK YOU GREEDY AMERICAN FABRIC MANUFACTURERS WHO BUY FOREIGN COTTON AS WELL AS OUR OWN AND HAVE IT MILLED OVERSEAS AS WELL AND THEN BRING IT ON HOME AND SELL IT TO YOUR OWN COUNTRYMEN AT A GREATLY RAISED PRICE.
WE LOVE YOU FOR OUTSOURCING THE JOBS AND CHARGING US MORE MONEY. A DOUBLE WHAMMY FOR US AND A DOUBLE YIPPEE! FOR YOU.