Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric Returning to Wal-Mart : Report from Wall Street. >

Fabric Returning to Wal-Mart : Report from Wall Street.

Fabric Returning to Wal-Mart : Report from Wall Street.

Old 10-22-2010, 03:23 PM

Despite what seems to be the current rumor, I'll believe it when I see it. So far here nothing has changed at all and no one in the department seems to know of anything either. Glad I'm not holding my breath.
Old 10-22-2010, 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by quiltluvr
Despite what seems to be the current rumor, I'll believe it when I see it. So far here nothing has changed at all and no one in the department seems to know of anything either. Glad I'm not holding my breath.
I talked to a dept. manager at the Cookeville TN store and he told me they were adding back 700 items and that fabric had had more complaints than anything else. I saw the fabric on bolts on racks.
Old 10-23-2010, 02:31 AM
Administrator

it sounds like fabrics are most likely to return in communities where fabric shoppers band together and speak up in large enough numbers. management will not keep or return fabrics unless they believe it will help the bottom line. that's business.

we have at least got them to reconsider the decision and to realize it may not have helped that bottom line.

the next step, if you want wally fabs in your community, is to search out the others who want it and to send a loud, consistent, positive message to management: "if you rack it, we will come. if you bolt it, we will buy." ;-)
Old 10-23-2010, 02:42 AM

I talked to my store manager at Wal-Mart about this subject.
Wal-Mart realizes they made some mistakes and are in the process of correcting them...This will take time...not an overnight project....
Old 10-23-2010, 05:52 AM

I made another post on my findings this past Thursday, I stopped by my local Walmart ( 1 hr drive from my house).
The fabric dept was about the same size, (which had been made smaller during remodel.
However, a sign was hanging that said fabric/notions. We still have our cutting table, and there are 2 rows of fabric on a bolt.
They have thread, batting, new fabric, still wrapped in plastic.
Christmas fabric, then in the center aisle between paint and electronics are square tubs, there is wide flannel, in the others is $2.00 yd cotton on bolts, most of it the same or similar pattern. In others was cotton fabric marked 3.96 to 4.96. It looks like more fabric to me
Old 10-23-2010, 06:16 AM

Our Walmart did away with our fabric and most of crafts dept. last spring. The workers in our fabric dept saved our fabric once by having customers call in to the corporate headquarters to complain. It worked a couple of years ago, but not this time. I hope they give us back our fabric and craft dept.
Old 10-23-2010, 09:59 PM

I will also believe it when I see it.(I don't want to get my hopes up.)
Old 10-24-2010, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by DeniseP
Our Walmart did away with our fabric and most of crafts dept. last spring. The workers in our fabric dept saved our fabric once by having customers call in to the corporate headquarters to complain. It worked a couple of years ago, but not this time. I hope they give us back our fabric and craft dept.
I just came from Walmart and they had several choices on fabric on the bolts. They do not carry the fat quarters or charm packs or kits. I bought 5 cuts from bolts to do table runners for Christmas. I also asked if they had a bin where they keep end of the bolts and she showed me where it was. I got four pieces from there that was marked down 20% pr more. I was satisfied. They also had a whole section of blender fabrics in every color there is.
Old 11-12-2010, 12:30 PM

Did someone tell them that "the customer is always right".
Dodee
Old 11-13-2010, 07:59 AM

they just opened our "new" from the ground up "super" wallyworld and no fabric dept. just a few shelves of tacky material precut. not much else. i think the story by wall street made a mistake or wallyworld lied to someone. being on SSDI it makes it hard to have much unless i find a good sale on ebay or at joann's with a coupon. it sucks being poor and having an expensive hobby. but life goes on and we make do.