Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
fabric sale walmart >

fabric sale walmart

fabric sale walmart

Old 05-08-2010, 06:21 PM
Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

Originally Posted by theresse
I'm a little confussed about the Wal Mart fabric, Some board members say they like it and other say its a cheaper quality. I will admit that when I first started qting 10 or 20 ys ago the fabric I bought was not all cotton. but that was my mistake. I definatly would not make a blouse of it, but - if newbees are buying the wrong type of fabric, I would have thought that the older oops- more esperience Qter should help educate all beginners and nebees. I don't think I am explaining myself very well. Could someone help me out here.
Let me see if I can explain my take on all of this. Wm fabric can be of poor quality but not all of it. You got to know what to look for. My family does not have much money so I can not afford to shop at the lqs, too expensive. I would never get a quilt made. I have bought many fabric's at WM that are tightly woven and some not. I will quilt with what I can afford, does it makes a quilt any less beautiful, I think not. I don't do any swaps because some ppl think WM fabric is not good enough. I do give fabric away to those that need it because I know that they will appreciate it no matter where it came from. We will always have a difference of opinion on what is the right fabric to use for quilting but I do not hold any offense against those that think different from me.
I don't know if this helps or not but I tried.
Carrie
Old 05-08-2010, 06:22 PM

theresse Walmart fabric they have several different leveles of fabric qulity and price. They carry some $2.00 fabric that is really good its white on white or a tone on tone. But then they have other $2.00 fabric that is indertment contents. don't buy that you have no idea what in it. I hope that help some
Old 05-08-2010, 06:26 PM

You just have to be aware of the your buying from any store is it 100% cotton. Walmart has had VIP at time and that is good fabric. I started at walmart over 15 yr ago and i bought the wrong fabric so my first quilts didn'y come out as well and they do now.
Old 05-08-2010, 07:36 PM

I agree, you need to check the labels on WM fabric. After a while you can tell from the feel and texture of the fabric if it is 100% cotton or if it has some polyester/rayon in it. I can't afford LQS fabric either and more often than not buy what is on sale at a really good price, in the remnant bin, Red Tag stuff, have a really good coupon for or what I can find at the local thrift stores. I've sewn for close to 40 years and have gone thru stages of knits, corduroy, cottons, suiting, flannel, etc. After a while you just have the "feel" for what will work well in a quilt. Some of us are not lucky enough to have a client base with which to make money on our quilting skills. There is still just as much love and care in a quilt if it is made with WM fabric. ;)
Old 05-08-2010, 08:02 PM

I buy Walmart fabric and really don't have a problem quilting with it. My grandmother quilted from the time she was a young girl until she was a "grandma" she used fabrics from old work clothes and dresses. I have two of those very old quilts and they are treasures. Nobody really spent money on fabric for quilts back then.
My Walmart closed it's fabric department to enlarge their electronics department. I am very unhappy about this. It was the only place that I could go to get fabric without making a trip out of it. The closest place now is Joann's and it takes a good 45 to 50 minutes to get there.
Attached Images  
Old 05-09-2010, 01:09 PM

I want to thank Carrie, Texas granny n Quilter 2B,for helping to explain about Wal Mart fabric. that is where I use to do my fabric shopping. For the last Year an ahalf, I have been shopping in thrift store for what fabric I get. I was begening to feel bad and not wanting to show my WIP & finish Qts. though I am proud of them.I to have not joined in swapps because I didn't want to take a chance of sending what somone would consider low quility fabric. Thank you for you help snd understanding.When I dig up my pic I will start sending some.
Old 05-09-2010, 01:17 PM

They closed here to. The WM that is 15 miles from here has a very limited supply but I would check it out if funds weren't next to nothing right now! Dang!

I saw that today - good thing for my husband I have a little control. Not to mention I looked at a few of the discounted ones and they were pretty thin. I'm starting to notice the difference now.

But I did get a Joannes gift card from my daugher!
Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

Originally Posted by theresse
I want to thank Carrie, Texas granny n Quilter 2B,for helping to explain about Wal Mart fabric. that is where I use to do my fabric shopping. For the last Year an ahalf, I have been shopping in thrift store for what fabric I get. I was begening to feel bad and not wanting to show my WIP & finish Qts. though I am proud of them.I to have not joined in swapps because I didn't want to take a chance of sending what somone would consider low quility fabric. Thank you for you help snd understanding.When I dig up my pic I will start sending some.
Honey don't worry about shopping at thrift shops I do it all the time and have made some beautiful quilts. If you do a search of thrift shop finds then you maybe amazed as to how many of us do the same as you. Enjoy your quilting and I am looking forward to seeing the pic's.