Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: fabric sale walmart

bkb
    walmart put a lot of there 2.44 yd cotton on sale for $1.00 a yard. at least here in Ill. just wanted to pass this on. happy shopping

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Some of out $2.44 and other higher priced fabric have gone on sale for for $1.00 and up, but still clearance priced. We also have out batting packages going on sale due to a reset and newer things coming in. (Eastern TN)

Pam
    They have already closed the fabric dept here, poop heads. Guess I am in a poopy head mood.

bkb
    There is still some fabric at Flora..I haven't been to The Farmers Market in Fairfield for 2 years or more.
    I like that store.

I was at our Wal Mart yesterday and didn't see any of the fabric marked down yet. I did buy some other fabric though. We don't have a very large selection to choose from.

Pam
    bkb, they moved across the street, but are still there, and a little more organized. Most cottons are still around $4 per yard.

Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!
    Blog Entries
    I just made the same post. I couldn't believe it when i saw it.

I found out this week at our Walmart that our will have fabric until later in the year when they do the remodel.
    They had a really pretty piece of fabric with Birds and fruit. It will be my new kitchen curtains. I just fell in love with that fabric. I will also paint the cabinets.

Pam
    Quote Originally Posted by cjomomma
    I just made the same post. I couldn't believe it when i saw it.
    What post? Poop heads? Or Walmart getting rid of fabric?

I'm so sad my Walmart doesn't carry fabric any more.

Blog Entries
    I was in a poop head mood too til I went to WM.

New York State, but I will always be Canadian!
    somehow, remarkably, our fabric selection at our walmart is dwindling (as they upgrade to a stupid superwalmart) but yet the price stays at over 4 dollars a yard. Not worth my time to drive down there. I have never seen a fat quarter there, let alone a charm pack or jelly roll, so am totally jealous of all these deals you guys are getting! Good thing Joann's is closer....although...thier prices lately....

Quote Originally Posted by RatherB Quilting
    somehow, remarkably, our fabric selection at our walmart is dwindling (as they upgrade to a stupid superwalmart) but yet the price stays at over 4 dollars a yard. Not worth my time to drive down there. I have never seen a fat quarter there, let alone a charm pack or jelly roll, so am totally jealous of all these deals you guys are getting! Good thing Joann's is closer....although...thier prices lately....
    When they get it remodeled, pre-cut fabrics is all you'll see. Ours has a couple jelly rolls and maybe some one yard packages and fat quarters. Not enough to even bother trying to find it.

For the most part, I do like WM's new store layout but whoever is in charge of what to stock and how much is not doing a good job. The grocery aisle usually looks like the day after a blizzard. How can you run out of canned corn for Pete's sake?

Our Wal-Mart here in Ga. has all fabric at 50% off. They are discontinuing all fabric depts.

Oh, good excuse to go check it out, LOL!

My Walmart hasn't added much new fabric for quite some time now and getting worried about it. Maybe they are getting ready for the fall and winter fabrics.

The farmers market is awesome. Last time I was there they had marbles under $4. Won't get to go back till August or September but i will save as much as i can between now and then and bring home an addition or two to my stash

Our Wally World dropped their 2.44 fabric to $2. Not much of a savings but I did get some good quality flannel for $2/yd. Kicked myself because two days prior I paid $2.59 at Joann's for lighter weight flannel.

I was there yesterday and got over 20 yeards of fabric. The Batiks were on sale for $3.50 a yard!! Some of the fabric that was marked $2.44 a yard was actually $1 a yard (so I found out when it was being cut), but the lady didn't have time yet to put the sale price stickers on yet!... I got some great deals!

I'm a little confussed about the Wal Mart fabric, Some board members say they like it and other say its a cheaper quality. I will admit that when I first started qting 10 or 20 ys ago the fabric I bought was not all cotton. but that was my mistake. I definatly would not make a blouse of it, but - if newbees are buying the wrong type of fabric, I would have thought that the older oops- more esperience Qter should help educate all beginners and nebees. I don't think I am explaining myself very well. Could someone help me out here.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by theresse
    I'm a little confussed about the Wal Mart fabric, Some board members say they like it and other say its a cheaper quality. I will admit that when I first started qting 10 or 20 ys ago the fabric I bought was not all cotton. but that was my mistake. I definatly would not make a blouse of it, but - if newbees are buying the wrong type of fabric, I would have thought that the older oops- more esperience Qter should help educate all beginners and nebees. I don't think I am explaining myself very well. Could someone help me out here.
    Let me see if I can explain my take on all of this. Wm fabric can be of poor quality but not all of it. You got to know what to look for. My family does not have much money so I can not afford to shop at the lqs, too expensive. I would never get a quilt made. I have bought many fabric's at WM that are tightly woven and some not. I will quilt with what I can afford, does it makes a quilt any less beautiful, I think not. I don't do any swaps because some ppl think WM fabric is not good enough. I do give fabric away to those that need it because I know that they will appreciate it no matter where it came from. We will always have a difference of opinion on what is the right fabric to use for quilting but I do not hold any offense against those that think different from me.
    I don't know if this helps or not but I tried.
    Carrie

theresse Walmart fabric they have several different leveles of fabric qulity and price. They carry some $2.00 fabric that is really good its white on white or a tone on tone. But then they have other $2.00 fabric that is indertment contents. don't buy that you have no idea what in it. I hope that help some

You just have to be aware of the your buying from any store is it 100% cotton. Walmart has had VIP at time and that is good fabric. I started at walmart over 15 yr ago and i bought the wrong fabric so my first quilts didn'y come out as well and they do now.

I agree, you need to check the labels on WM fabric. After a while you can tell from the feel and texture of the fabric if it is 100% cotton or if it has some polyester/rayon in it. I can't afford LQS fabric either and more often than not buy what is on sale at a really good price, in the remnant bin, Red Tag stuff, have a really good coupon for or what I can find at the local thrift stores. I've sewn for close to 40 years and have gone thru stages of knits, corduroy, cottons, suiting, flannel, etc. After a while you just have the "feel" for what will work well in a quilt. Some of us are not lucky enough to have a client base with which to make money on our quilting skills. There is still just as much love and care in a quilt if it is made with WM fabric. ;)

I buy Walmart fabric and really don't have a problem quilting with it. My grandmother quilted from the time she was a young girl until she was a "grandma" she used fabrics from old work clothes and dresses. I have two of those very old quilts and they are treasures. Nobody really spent money on fabric for quilts back then.
    My Walmart closed it's fabric department to enlarge their electronics department. I am very unhappy about this. It was the only place that I could go to get fabric without making a trip out of it. The closest place now is Joann's and it takes a good 45 to 50 minutes to get there.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast