Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric scraps too small to sew-what to do with them >

Fabric scraps too small to sew-what to do with them

Fabric scraps too small to sew-what to do with them

Old 07-05-2010, 03:34 AM

Originally Posted by wraez
Maryjane...

I was wondering if the release paper from HeatNBond or other fusing products would work in place of freezer paper? For some reason I wouldn't think that wax paper would work that well, but I haven't tried it so really don't know.

Thanks for the tip.

warm quilt hugs, sue in CA
When you try it, let me know..
although I don't use Heat N Bond too often..so I think that I will stick with freezer paper.

(how about that play on words...stick on !!!!!) lololo
Old 07-06-2010, 10:48 AM

I too have a hard time letting go of pieces that seem big enough to work with. I had collected a lot over a period of time and finally made a landscape quilt and then used all the snipets and tidbits to represent falling leaves. If I find I have strips that are 1 1/4" or wider I use them in rag rugs and scrap quilts. And in the past 2 years our quild found our 2 local shelters that gladly and gratefully take in our stuffed pillowcases filled with scraps and we manage to have anywhere from 5 to 15 pillowcases each month for them. With recent evacuation of both locations the pillowcases went along with each animal, which we were told gave them comfort during a very anxious time. we also know that each pet that is adopted gets to take one with them to their new home. "warm fuzzy feeling" going on right now. Keep asking and be sure to let them know that only cotton scraps and threads are put into the pillowcases, so they are totally machine washable, too!
Old 07-06-2010, 02:55 PM

I made one for the vet's office after I had a bunch of towels that were ruined by bleach. The dogs loved them so I made my kitties one. The girl sleeps on it all the time now. they would make neat gifts for your cat loving friends for Christmas.
Old 07-06-2010, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by Quilt4u
I give it to the birds for nest. We got some pretty colorful nest out there.
Please do not use them for birds. The material stays wet and mildews and is cold.
Old 07-06-2010, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by raptureready
Originally Posted by kclausing
I like the idea of making a dog pillow out of them - use them as stuffing. Great Idea!!!
Everyone keeps mentioning this so I tried it with our dog. I even used some indoor/outdoor canvas to make it sturdier. Lasted about 3 days before the dog chewed through it. Once I cleaned up the mess I threw the whole thing away.
That's what I thought too. Plus at the shelter they want to be able to throw the soiled papers away not wash blankets/pillows. So much work & so few workers, ya know?
Old 07-06-2010, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by wraez
Oh my gosh, look what I just stumbled on moments ago.... great idea for fabric scraps

fabric tape!

Here is the tutorial
http://annekata.blogspot.com/2010/05...-tutorial.html

even my grand kids will love this, to tape paper lunch bags shut, use as stickers and much more. Maybe you'll have even more ideas

warm quilt hugs, sue in CA
In the scrapbooking section at JoAnns you can buy Zyron a machine that makes stickers out of anything you can run thru it. There are a few sizes from 1 inch to 6 inches, you just feed the fabric thru a slot, turn a handle & you have a strip of fabric tape. Much easier than mod podge although I do love that too!!!

:-P :-P
Old 07-07-2010, 09:19 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by thequilterslink
I have heard of some people putting them into old pillowcases,sewing shut and donating to pet shelters
what a wonderful idea, so comfy and no man made fabric-------plse give it a whirl!
Old 07-07-2010, 03:17 PM

Quilter's Jam! Put some nice coordinating snippits in a nice jam jar and sit it on your shelf to admire. Make one for each quilt so you can remember the wonderful colors you combined.
Old 07-07-2010, 03:23 PM

if the fabric pieces are still 2 inches or so, and sewable, I have donated tons of my littlest angels to our childrens program for afterschool kids, or to the summer recreation ( parks ) program. They always come up with ideas for our local kids to make during the summer/ school year.. Hope that helps a little!
Old 07-07-2010, 03:24 PM

Funnyfarm - I love , love that idea about putting the snippets in a jar, on a shelf.. So many cute jard with lids out there ( dollar store, ect) , so that is something that could be passed down to kids, grandkids, along with a special note explaining the fabric in the jar, if they were in a quilt, and such. Awesome thought!