Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric scraps too small to sew-what to do with them >

Fabric scraps too small to sew-what to do with them

Fabric scraps too small to sew-what to do with them

Old 07-02-2010, 10:53 PM

I have been told by one of my charity friends to keep those scraps and make some great scrappy blocks.They are crumble blocks. I start with two scraps and build,adding more pieces in every direction to make a crazy block.then I choose 4inch or 6 inch template and square them up Now my friends give me their scraps. Plus it gives me a little break from the blocks for my project. Some times I just need to sew to feel better. These little scraps blocks are good to get my brain thinking and in a short time you will have enough to make a new blanket. Some times I add one color and make the half traingle crumble block .It is fun. It is like free fabric! Just don't get overwhelmed.I leave on small box next to me and I tuck any other boxes away until I am ready

Have Fun! If you really can not do scraps there are many of us who would be willing to put those peices.

Christina
Old 07-02-2010, 11:45 PM

Sorry,I see that somone answered.At least I am happy to know that it has a name,and that I am doing correctly.
Happy sewing Christina
Old 07-03-2010, 12:41 AM

My granddaughter and I used to make pillows for cats to sleep on at the animal shelter. She would piece together the bigger scraps to make the front and back (or we would use an extra block from one of my quilts) and then stuff it with scraps that I cut into tiny, tiny pieces with my rotary cutter. She was probably 9 or 10 at the time. She's 15 now and more into texting and going to the mall, but she still talks about those pillows we made for the kitties.
Old 07-03-2010, 01:12 AM

Thousand fabrics? and I thought I was bad lol
Old 07-03-2010, 01:25 AM

I would like to try that!
Originally Posted by christina bennett
I have been told by one of my charity friends to keep those scraps and make some great scrappy blocks.They are crumble blocks. I start with two scraps and build,adding more pieces in every direction to make a crazy block.then I choose 4inch or 6 inch template and square them up Now my friends give me their scraps. Plus it gives me a little break from the blocks for my project. Some times I just need to sew to feel better. These little scraps blocks are good to get my brain thinking and in a short time you will have enough to make a new blanket. Some times I add one color and make the half traingle crumble block .It is fun. It is like free fabric! Just don't get overwhelmed.I leave on small box next to me and I tuck any other boxes away until I am ready

Have Fun! If you really can not do scraps there are many of us who would be willing to put those peices.

Christina
Old 07-03-2010, 02:22 AM

how about using your fabric and cut it smaller then use it to make pictures. All you do is put them into some kind if design then put tulle or some other fine fabric over the top then machine quilt the heck out of it. I saw it being done on simply quilts by a lady from Japan. She made beautiful pictures out of the tiniest of pieces by cutting them into less than 1/8 strips and arranged them into trees, paths flowers etc. then put a layer of fine see through fabric over top and then quilted it into place, it was surprising what it looked like finished. Maybe you know some one who is an artist with fabric, they would love to get it.....or try it yourself.
Old 07-03-2010, 04:06 AM

Originally Posted by JustBonnie2
You should make "Crumb" quilt blocks! Bonnie Hunter has great instructions for making what she calls "Crumb" quilt blocks out of the TINIEST scraps. It looks like a blast! I can't wait to try it myself! Here is a link to the instructions: http://quiltville.com/crumbs.shtml (By the way, your colors are gorgeous!)
Have fun!!!
What a great tute!!
Old 07-03-2010, 04:32 AM

Originally Posted by deedles215
Originally Posted by isnthatodd
I have been trying to find a use for all the trimmings I have left over, as well as some fiberfill from some pillows. I heard or read that animal places could use them, but have not had any luck finding a place. At what point do you just bit the bullet and pitch them? I have a box full of collars and cuffs, lots of trimmings from squaring up block, etc. Help!
Me thinks:

Take a big breath.
Maybe pour a glass of wine or two?
Open the trash.
Fondle the scraps a little.
Try not to cry.
Start dumping...
Rifle through, JUST IN CASE you missed a pretty.
Pull a few out to be starters for the next scrap bin.
Close the trash.
Open again in case another pretty wriggled it's way back to the top.
WALK AWAY!!!

:lol: :lol:

Seriously now: I think using for stuffing for animals, pillows, pincushions, etc. wouldn't be a bad idea.
LOL!!! Me thinks someone's been reading my 27 thing fling blog! Ya GOTTA toss things. If you can't come up with a solution that works for you on these 6 + pages, then OUT THE DOOR!!!!
(would someone come here and motivate me to listen to me??)

I gave away a few good sized boxes of random scraps (nothing 1/2 or smaller) right here on the site by offering them up for shipping!!!

(are you the same deedles on nookboards??)
Old 07-03-2010, 05:05 AM

Offer them on a thread.

I had tiny scraps and they were gone in less than a minutes once posted.......and there were other responses in the next couple minutes...

try it and you will definitely find someone who can make use of them.....

waste not, want not !!!!

MaryJane
Old 07-03-2010, 11:39 AM
Bev

{ I save selvedges and use them to tie up vines -- roses clematis, beans, and sweet peas. And the rest I toss. I barely have room for the thousand yards of fabric I have now.[/quote]

I do the same thing not necessarily with selvedges, but just any real skinny strings I have left. Green is a particularly good color to use with plants because it doesn't show at all. I also use some to tie on the handles of our luggage so that we can recognize it at the baggage claim area. With this you would want to use the brightest strings you have.
My daughter uses some of them (the skinny strings) to tie up my little granddaughter's hair before she goes in the pool or tub. With these it doesn't matter if she loses it or throws it away after use. 8-)