Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric Stash how do you organize your fabric >

Fabric Stash how do you organize your fabric

Fabric Stash how do you organize your fabric

Old 02-09-2010, 09:21 AM

I keep my fabric ( 1 yard or greater ) folded & placed on a hanger in the closet. I can put a few different pieces of each hanger. Baby patterns and holidays are seperate but the rest is color coded. I can see it all in a flash since it's a double door closet.
Old 02-09-2010, 10:52 AM

Beachbound ... since you store your fabric on hangers, you may be interested in this hint I learned from watching Fons and Porter: Save the selveges you cut off of fabrics or the long skinny strips that are waste, then wrap them around the base of your hanger and secure. Now when you hang your fabrics, they won't slip off!
Old 02-09-2010, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by Chasing Hawk
Funny someone should mention this.

I am knee deep in my sewing room in fabric and notions. Reorganizing everything after we added a new shelf and bookcase in my sewing room. I have two piles going, one growing mess is pieces big enough for fat quarters and the other one is the scrap pile to be cut into 3 or 4 inch squares. Those are for scrappy quilts and other brainstorms I might have.
A soulmate, and we're both in the Pacific Northwest. The sun is shining today and I have to clean house for company, a non-sewer who probably thinks of what I call creativity as a mess.
Old 02-09-2010, 11:33 AM

I do most of mine by color. But, I sort all the Christmas fabric together and also the batiks together & the flannels together.
Old 02-09-2010, 01:02 PM

If you go to Joann's fabrics or almost any other fabric store they are happy to give you their fabric storage boards for free. They put them in the dumpster if no one wants them. I have many full and partial bolts of fabric left over from sell out of my quilt shop when I moved, I removed the boards to make it easier to move the fabric in tubs. When I got to Ohio, I went to my local Joann's and they were happy to get rid of there used boards.
Old 02-09-2010, 02:59 PM

Where do you get the comic book boards to wrap your fabric around to organize your stash???????
Thanks Kathy kjym
Old 02-09-2010, 03:40 PM

I have shelves in my closet and I just toss my fabric on those but I do keep them together based on what they are - flannel, cotton, knits, etc. I keep cedar hangers in with my fabric to discourage bugs.

I have holiday fabric in separate plastic boxes. I have a box for Christmas, another for Thanksgiving, another for Easter/St. Patrick's/Valentines, and another for 4th of July.
Old 02-09-2010, 04:19 PM

I have my fabrics sorted by color (must be 1/2 yard or larger). They are rolled on a ruler and folded, then placed in cabinets on shelves by color, theme, etc. All collections are sorted and placed in tubs which are labeled. All fat quarters are also folded and sorted and placed in small plastic containers then placed inside a cabinet. Scraps (smaller than 1/4 yard) are sorted and placed in zipper bags, and placed in tubs which are labeled. Fabrics for specific projects are kept together in a tub of their own. I am not perfect, there is a tub of "what the heck is this" because I just don't know what to do with it!
Old 02-09-2010, 04:30 PM

Hi Karen,
Welcome to the board. I organize my fabric stash and scraps by color so I know what have that coordinates well. :wink:
Old 02-09-2010, 04:42 PM

Hi Karen,
Welcome to the board. I organize my fabric stash by the yard and scraps by color so I know what have that coordinates well, I have a six foot wide closet that I've been storing my fabric but I am slowly weaning myself to better organization so that I can see the color variations that I have in a particular color group, similar to the color wheel that artists use. The scraps I've organized baskets by primary color schemes.