Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric Stash how do you organize your fabric >

Fabric Stash how do you organize your fabric

Fabric Stash how do you organize your fabric

Old 02-10-2010, 10:04 PM

Reading about those of you that have organized your sewing room/areas and seeing those nice pictures, has inspired me to clean, sort, purge and organize my sewing area. Thank you. (grin)
Old 02-11-2010, 10:52 AM

My larger pieces of 1 yard or more, I snip off a piece, paste in a book, label it, fabric content, how much, and where it is stashed. That way all I have to do is look in my book. The smaller pieces, less then 1 yard, I put into bins by color. One thing, I do tho is I keep my batiks in a seperate bin, as I use these the most. I have been sewing for over 50 years, and quilting for 20, and I find that the above works best for me. Hope this helps.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by littlehud
I do mine by colors. Fat quarters by color and yardage by color.
Ditto...by color - fqs separate from yardage.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by maryb119
I fold fabrics that go together in a bundle with the pattern I have chosen at the time. I often change my mind about the pattern but when fabrics go together, I try to keep them together.
Yep, I do that too.....along with the sorting by color and by type.....kids, batiks. I do an assortment of things, but it somehow works!!
Old 02-11-2010, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by Teresa 54
I bought a real bakers rack from the restaurant supply store 10 years ago, now I have (3) bakers racks. These hold a lot of weight. I divide my fabrics by color and type and they are out where I can see them all them time which is inspiring.
And that is what I store on, too...a real restaurant 5 shelf rack, 4 feet wide, 7 ft tall. It's wonderful!!!
Old 02-11-2010, 09:18 PM

I was walking out of the PetSmart this evening after delivering my lastest batch of kittens/cats to the adoption center and watched one of the employees pulling some of the display units to the back to be thrown away. Sure wish I lived nearer any of you who were interested in trying one or two for storage.
Wendy
Old 02-12-2010, 10:12 PM

Having had surgeries and not allowed to lift family and other non sewers have "helped me out" in my sewing room.
Yes, they eventually find what I am looking for but really don't put thinga back as they were. I hate to complain but after 7 months of this the so called almost organized fabric is a complete mess. I try the best I can but there are now actually areas that I cannot get to.
The family complains about my "mess" but I notice that when something needs to be fixed, resewn or repaired, or "could I make", or "do I have", they always come here and expect me to pull the rabbit out of the hat.
Sometimes a match seems to be a really good idea. (ggg)

Anne

Anne
Old 04-28-2010, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by craftybear
I am wondering how you organize your fabric. I am a beginner quilter and don't have much fabric but when I get some would like to be sure it is all organized. Hubby has been unemployed since July 2009 so $ is tight for us. Have a wonderful day!

I just came across this link and thought I would post it here to see if anyone else has used this organization idea.

http://featheredfibers.wordpress.com...-and-tutorial/

Karen
So, from this site, did you buy the backer boards or the extenders? How rigid are they?
Old 04-28-2010, 07:34 AM

I fold all my yardage fabric with my 6" x 24" ruler so they are all uniform. Then store them on shelves by color. My fat quarters and small pieces are stored in see through plastic containers by color also.
Old 04-28-2010, 08:25 AM

You're supposed to organize?