Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric Stash how do you organize your fabric >

Fabric Stash how do you organize your fabric

Fabric Stash how do you organize your fabric

Old 04-28-2010, 12:24 PM
Power Poster

Not sorted. Rainbow look in the bookcase
Old 05-02-2010, 06:06 AM

Since moving, and soon to be hubby buying me shelves and bookcases, I have decided for the first time to orgainize, what a trip!I didnt realize how many greens I really had, and Im partial to the oranges, yellows, etc... anything other than greens, lol.I have a section for solids, a tote for Christmas, another for Halloween(my favorite holliday), and a tote for 1950's repo's. The shelves are seperated according to color, and then large bins in the garage for flannels, fleece, etc.I foung the top of an old hutch at a garage sale for $3 and that is in the closet with my books on the shelves of the hutch. Anything over 2 yards is hung in the closet with skirt hangers, this way there is'nt any folded lines going across it in the center.All altered art material is in a tote on the top shelf, since it has been awhile since I have used it, along with another tote for paints, dyes and stains. Im not quite done yet, but 2 more days is my goal, and I have to say it is SSOOOOOOO much easier to find things, and looks 100 times better than my old "orgainized clutter".
Old 05-02-2010, 06:18 AM
Power Poster

Mine is sort of "where can I put it?"

Generally, the cat prints are together, the blacks and whites are together, the really big pieces are on a bed, the halloween fabrics are together, small blues are together.

Where indecision sets in: when a fabric would be appropriate in more than one stack/box/shelf -

Examples:
the black and white cat prints - do they go with the black and whites or with the cats?
the "holiday" (Christmas or halloween) cats - with the cats or with the holiday fabrics?
the orange flowers - with the florals or with the oranges?

etc.
Old 05-02-2010, 06:37 AM

I keep my fabric in clear large totes and stack the fabric so I can see what is in there. I also get smaller ones and use them to keep together the fabric etc of the quilts I am making. I live in an apartment and not much room to store my huge stash and have to store most of it in the garage.
Old 06-26-2010, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
I have a dresser I keep all the fat quarters in by color. The rest of the fabric is in a cupboard by length of cut. I can see what color it is and there's no point in pulling a piece of fabric out if it's not the right length. That way if I need a 3 yard cut I'm only looking at 3 yard cuts and longer.

That is SO smart!!! I'm actually doing the organization thing at this time...and I'm going to follow your wise example. Thanks!
:thumbup:
Old 06-26-2010, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by Spice
Most of mine is folded on shelves in my studio. I use a 6 1/2" wide ruler, fold the fabric in half. Wrap around ruler, pull ruler 1/2 way out and fold fabric. Pull ruler completely out and stack folded fabric on shelves. Use narrower ruler for smaller pieces. 3-4 in.Fabric is easy to see and shelves are very neat and tidy. I try to stack by color for most things but sometimes by theme. Makes finding easier.
Another AWESOME tip...which I am going to use right away, as in midst of organization at this time. THANK YOU!
Old 06-26-2010, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by sunkistmi
I was tossing out the trash after my volunteer stint at the Luv-a-Pet center at our local PetSmart when I saw some cardboard cat treat display containers being thrown out. Suddenly I saw it filled with charm packs. I brought home 3 of them and the largest one is now home to my charm packs. They fit perfectly standing on their sides but I need to get them labeled. It is a perfect recycling project and is narrow enough to stand behind the door. I haven't decided whether or not to cover it with paper or fabric because the color isn't what I like. I'll try to post pictures tomorrow....
Wendy
Don't want to be a downer, but if it saves someone from a disaster willing to risk it. Do you think maybe the acid the cardboard contains might discolor/fade the fabric next to it? Maybe you use your stash faster than me, I'm more into buying the stuff...slower than some actually cutting it up to use. PLEASE don't be offended...I just know how valuable this stuff is...just want to help is all.
:idea:
Old 06-26-2010, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by gjfibers
My larger pieces of 1 yard or more, I snip off a piece, paste in a book, label it, fabric content, how much, and where it is stashed. That way all I have to do is look in my book. The smaller pieces, less then 1 yard, I put into bins by color. One thing, I do tho is I keep my batiks in a seperate bin, as I use these the most. I have been sewing for over 50 years, and quilting for 20, and I find that the above works best for me. Hope this helps.
That is really smart!
Old 06-26-2010, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by jljack
Originally Posted by Teresa 54
I bought a real bakers rack from the restaurant supply store 10 years ago, now I have (3) bakers racks. These hold a lot of weight. I divide my fabrics by color and type and they are out where I can see them all them time which is inspiring.
And that is what I store on, too...a real restaurant 5 shelf rack, 4 feet wide, 7 ft tall. It's wonderful!!!
Me too, UPS just dlvd the four this week...from Sam's. I'm doing a complete redo of all at this time. It fits or it goes... Stuff like large coffee urn etc too...things I don't want in garage.
Old 06-26-2010, 03:32 PM

I have a 5'x8' bookcase with a bunch of shelves. I break down fabric by color. I also keep Christmas, Halloween, Holiday fabrics in a pile too. My scraps for now are kept in a zippered bag on the shelf since I don't really have much of that. Any fabric other than 100% cotton goes on a shelf all by itself. Little compartments on the shelf I keep my books and rulers, magazines, etc. It works for me until I have a sewing room one day.