Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
fabric storage >

fabric storage

fabric storage

Old 01-28-2012, 07:41 AM

ok for those of you who use the comic boards......I went to Amazon andsug they have alot of different ones.....I am so confused which ones to buy as I don't want to buy a flimsy one and the sizes are only like 7 x 10 1/2, I am not finding the 11" ones........any suggestions on which ones to buy would be great! ty
Old 01-28-2012, 08:16 AM

I just received my ordered from Amazon. Comic Boards, 100 for $10-$12. Can't remember what exactly I paid. They are a bit thin, but won't take up too much space on my shelves, which is good. That is my summer project when school is out.
Old 01-28-2012, 09:27 AM

when I buy fabric, I ask for empty cardboard that the fabric comes on. They give me what they have as they just throw them away.
Originally Posted by linda701 View Post
Where do people find the whatever you call to wrap your fabric in like the stores do so it will stand on your shelf and what sizes do they come in? Any reply would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-28-2012, 03:36 PM

I use the plastic boards from Polar Notions.com I like them better than the core boards because they don't bend. They last forever and she also has metal clips that hold the end of the folded fabric. They stand your fabric up like books on a shelf. I also measure my fabric and put a note with the amount under the clip so I know exactly how much is there.
They cost not much more than the core boards but they last and you can use them over and over. the service is great you get your order in a few days. She has the large size for yardage and smaller for fat quarters . I just ordered another 200 of them and the clips also this time I ordered a box of the smaller size to see how I like them.
Before i used to use the old bolts from the fabric store but the acid in the cardboard I found bleached lines in some of my fabric every 7 inches. so that's when I changed all my fabric on these boards I didn't need to wreak any more fabric.
Hope this is a help. kjym Kathy
Old 01-29-2012, 02:23 AM

I know the foam core board from WalMart is acid free, say right on the label, but I haven't gotten any from the dollar store so don't know about that. The WM foamboard is big enough that I get 10 6x10" boards to wrap fabric on, which would be about a medium size.

There is a lady on this board that cuts and sells the plastic boards, just search.

Originally Posted by Highmtn View Post
GramieBJ
Thank you... I followed your lead on that comment awhile back. I like the foamcore board from the $ store. I know it's not acid free so I wrap it in Saran wrap and tape it on. Don't know if that helps...but.. that's what I'm doing to deal with the acid free vs non-acid free comments.

Bluegrassgurl
Is mat board heavier then the comic boards? I like something with a little weight to it. We don't have any comic stores here so I don't know how stiff they are.

Thanks
Old 01-29-2012, 01:47 PM

Some of you may think the comic boards are a bit thin, but you can always use two of them together. Looking at the comic boards I just got from Amazon, they are thicker than poster board. Probably at least 3 poster boards put together. It says 24 pt. on the package. I fear that too thick and they will take up precious space on my shelves.
Old 01-29-2012, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by linda701 View Post
Where do people find the whatever you call to wrap your fabric in like the stores do so it will stand on your shelf and what sizes do they come in? Any reply would be greatly appreciated.
I just recently completed folding my fabric using the comic book boards and am really happy with the results. They have different sizes, so depends where you're going to store your fabric. The shelves in my closet were a bit shorter than the boards, so I did a bit of trimming and folded my fabric selvedge to selvedge and then in thirds. Worked out great.
Attached Thumbnails fabric-folding.gif  

Last edited by normasews; 01-29-2012 at 06:50 PM.