Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric Storage >

Fabric Storage

Fabric Storage

Old 11-07-2010, 06:25 AM

For small projects, you can also use the plastic containers that salad mix comes in.
Old 11-07-2010, 06:25 AM

I read somewhere that Rubbermaid tote boxes are made from a type of plastic that won't hurt your fabric. Of course, the one's I have are not Rubbermaid and I'm not planning on replacing them all right now, that would be quite an expense.
Old 11-07-2010, 07:08 AM

I store all my small pieces in those square cardboard decorative boxes that you see at Tuesday Morning and Joanns. I have big ones but I don't see them at Joanns much anymore.

I fold the fabric in to uniform sizes that fit standing up on edge and organize by color. My daughter who is a super organizer started this plan for me and it works. I have to stop now and then and refold when I get too messy. I hung paper tags from them with the colors & info like "Red Green & Blue Small Prints".
Old 11-07-2010, 07:45 AM
Power Poster

Mine is stored in plastic totes, copy paper boxes, ziploc baggies, etc. And kept away from the light.
Old 11-07-2010, 07:52 AM

Cute cat.
Old 11-07-2010, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by dgsmom
i store mine in plastic totes out of the sunlight
Hm, never thought of the sunlight piece.
My big pieces of fabric are in long plastic totes and smaller pieces are in plastic stacking drawers but everything is see-through. I don't think they get direct sunlight but my room is full of windows and natural light.
Guess I'll have to sew my way through my fabric a little faster. :)
Old 11-07-2010, 09:10 AM

mine are stored in plastic totes. I have some cut up fabric that I did not use for any other quilt in baggies, which are then put into the plastic totes
Old 11-07-2010, 11:42 AM

I have mine in plastic storage drawers you can stack at least 3 high and the drawers are clear so I can see whats inside. Have lots of these full.
Old 11-07-2010, 12:10 PM

I store a lot of my fabric on shelves in a closet that doesn't have a door but I stick cedar among it to keep the bugs and moths away. You can buy cedar blocks/balls/flat squares at the store, it's in the laundry section.

I also have plastic storage units with drawers and I store specific fabric in those - asian prints, denim, specialty fabric (like sheers, sparkly, sequined).
Attached Thumbnails attachment-120889.jpe   attachment-120890.jpe  
Old 11-07-2010, 01:02 PM

I have mine in plastic crates set on their sides,stacked 4 high and sort the fabric by color. I have these in a closet area, which doesn't have doors, but I keep a curtain hung over the area to keep out the sunlight. I keep my plaids/homespuns in a dresses in a spare room, Christmas fabrics in a chest, fabrics I have for backings/borders (larger hunks) I keep in a shelf in another closet. My flannels take over another closet. In otherwords, I keep fabric all over my house, but protected from light.