Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric Storage >

Fabric Storage

Fabric Storage

Old 11-07-2010, 01:18 PM

Ah yes, forgot to mention what was in the closet and the dresser in the guest room. My DH has over flow wood (yes, wood) in the closet in his den since he has a woodworking hobby and collects wood like I collect fabric - and notions, and trims, and buttons, and patterns, etc., etc.,etc..........
Old 11-07-2010, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by oldswimmer
Are we supposed to sort fabric?
And are we suppose have them organized in totes? It's a good thing you don't see my sewing room or boxes of materials. I drive a quilter friend of mine crazy, but I do get things done....
Old 11-07-2010, 04:12 PM

Any serious quilter who saw my storage would die laughing. I have been quilting for about 5 years now. I have made about 25 quilts. I get really nervous when I have too much fabric/scraps laying around. I just made 2 scrap quilts to get rid of the scraps that I had been storing. My fabric storage consists of 3 large shoe boxes. One for larger pieces, one for smaller pieces and one for christmas fabric. I store everything in the bottom half of my china hutch. All tools are in the two small "silverware" drawers in open containers. All fabric and bigger tools are stored in the bottom.
Old 11-07-2010, 07:37 PM
Power Poster

Cabinets, see through plastic bins and large sip up plastic bed sheet bags.
Old 11-07-2010, 07:42 PM

My stash is not nearly as impressive as some peoples BUT my husband just laughs at me when I buy fabric. He even helps me pick out fabric too!! He really has a GREAT eye for putting colors together! Since we discovered we were expecting our first baby the quilter and sewer in me has emerged with FULL FORCE!!! The problem was that all of my crafty/sewing things were spread from one end of my house to the other ....

Soooo one night I threw EVERYTHING craft/sewing related (with the exception of the sewing machine, ironing board and iron) on our bed and then organized it all :-)

The before picture does not really show everything .. probably just 1/2 of it all

Before
[ATTACH=CONFIG]121385[/ATTACH]

One of the drawers of fabrics
[ATTACH=CONFIG]121386[/ATTACH]

All organized :-)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]121387[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-121380.jpe   attachment-121381.jpe   attachment-121382.jpe  
Old 11-07-2010, 08:11 PM

Well-done! Congradulations on your good news as well! I always found spending the time tinkering (my word for just hanging out in my quilting room) and organizing really gets me in the frame of mind to dig in and start a new quilt- not to mention the euphoria I experience fondling fabrics and gadgets (I am a gadget freek!) I bet there will be some baby quilts on your mind now!
Old 11-07-2010, 08:33 PM

I use the same primary color drawers that lalaland uses. I got mine at Target and they were advertised as toy boxes. There are 3 drawers in each one and you can attach wheels to them (they come with them) I have a whole bunch of them.

We live in a small house, so my husband put a fold down ladder in our hall ceiling. Then, he put down plywood and vynl on top of that over the attic beams. The platform is about 10 by 10. Then he turned a plastic bucket upside down and put wheels on it and a padded top so I can roll around and get into my stash. We don't have a high ceiling in the attic so I can't stand up. It works out great.
Verna
Old 11-07-2010, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by littlehud
I store mine in totes. When I cut up the fabric for a project I put the fabric and pattern in a large plastic bag so everything is together.
Same here.
Old 11-07-2010, 09:27 PM

I have mine stored in a closet hanging shoe bin, according to colors. On the other side, I have baby fabrics, bags with scraps/selveges. Plus a few bags of fabric set aside with the pattern in it for upcoming projects. Didn't think I'd collect so much in less than 3 months!!
Can't even hit Walmart without hitting the fabric section. LOL
Old 11-07-2010, 09:36 PM

And this is only the beginning!!!!!