Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Fabric Trimmings

I am saving mine for stuffing. This is the project:

http://yesimadethat.blogspot.com/200...stone-rug.html

Super Member QuiltswithConvicts's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Yes, quilt jelly!

I used to save all my bunny ears until a few years ago. I used my empty coffee jars so that they all had the same jar and decorated my empty space on the shelves. There is no empty space anymore, so no more jars. I liked looking at the contents and remembering which quilt supplied which ears!

I love that jar. I do use mine for pillows too. My bulldog LOVES pillows, so I make her alot, They get gross after awhile, so I can toss them with out guilt!

Quote Originally Posted by The Bag Lady
    What do you do with all your snippets and trimmings from blocks etc. Do you display them in a jar or save them in a box or what. I have quite a few and hate to throw them away.
    I have a three drawer plastic chest. I keep very small snippets in one for pictures and landscapes. Medium size in another for PP and larger pieces in the third for odds and ends.

I saw a demo (somewhere) where the person made a block and sprinkled the little corners all over the fabric, covered it with tulle netting (or mesh, whatever you call it) and crazy stitched all over it and made a finished block that was really colorful. I was working with silvery material and I thought that I would try it - but, then I lost all the little scraps - don't ask me how - the gremlins got them.

I use my small scraps as either a pillow stuffing for the dogs or as piecing for a new pot holder. The scaps are just the right size for pot holders and you can get some really pretty ones from the scaps that you used in your quilts or small projects.

I recently posted a tutorial under "garbage can fabrics" that uses these types of trimmings and snippets. It is one way to get "fabric" out of stuff that might otherwise go into the trash can. Check it out and see if it interests you.

What do you do with all your snippets and trimmings from blocks etc. Do you display them in a jar or save them in a box or what. I have quite a few and hate to throw them away.
    I save some for my quilt journal. I save only those that are larger than an inch. I can use even crumbs in paper-piecing, but the others, especially those long strips from evening up my fabric--those go straight into the trash. My goodness, my fabric will take over the house if I don't keep it under control, and I doubt anyone will find a use for the stuff I throw away.

My 2,4,& 6 year old strow them out all over the house. They like to 'make' things with them. Until I find the cat tied up in the corner I am happy to let them occupy themselves with the scraps. I did see a blog on here the other day where someone attached them to iron-on interfacing and made a really cool looking quilt. Couldn't find the link. I will probably start making a jar with my dog ears. That is kinda neat.

Some quilt guilds make dog beds and they request scraps of fabric and batting for the dog bed "stuffing".

Very smart idea to use a flat rate box and then send to someone who wants them for the cost of shipping!

Quote Originally Posted by cjomomma
    I keep a medium flat rate box under my desk and when it is over flowing I offer it for the cost of shipping. There is always someone on here that will take it off your hands no matter the size of scraps. A great way to recycle. I kept fooling myself into thinking I would use them, not anymore.

One of my quilt groups, Quilting Angels, collects snippets, pieces, and batting trimmings. Then once a year we gather round with rotary cutters and chop it all up. We make fabric pillows of all sizes, stuff them with the trimmings, and donate them to the local animal shelter. We just finished making 184 pet beds last month!!!

Dear Baloonatic-That sounds like a neat idea for the pets. Thanks. Also, sthe quilt shop that I use the most told me stos br ing in my trimmings etc. and put them in their box for things slike that and then when I need something to come and help myself.

We have people in our area tht use them for filling dog beds. Our guild collects scraps for them.

The long thin lengths I use for tying vines, etc. Small strings, snippets, during the spring season, I spread out near trees for birds to add color to their nests.

Power Poster
    It depends on the trimmings and if I want to see all those little snippings. Mostly in a see through plastic bin.

No, I am not talking about the selvedges. I am talking about the fabric that is trimmed off when you square up a block or whatever.
    :::::ducking and running::::::: I throw thenm out, I hate a ton of little fabric...............la la de do da

LOL Happytails, good you knew to head for cover right away!!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I use mine for small applique projects. God bless.

I put mine out in the yard in the fall. The birds like the scraps and threads to add to there nests! It's amazing how they will pick only certain colors. But by winter they are all gone.

I also am making a selvedge quilt. So far I have made 4 squares. :lol: . I saw a quilt done in salvedges a couple of years ago and decided to make one. But not gotten very far. I only work on it when I have noting else to do. HA HA.
    I like to leave about 1/4- 1/2 inch of color.
    Maybe I will get it finished in this life time.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mar32428
    I have a three drawer plastic chest. I keep very small snippets in one for pictures and landscapes. Medium size in another for PP and larger pieces in the third for odds and ends.
    Could you post a picture of the landscapes and pictures?

I have a friend who made a bag (purse size) from selvages. It is very "eye catching." I like to think that quilters are frugal people--waste not, want not.

Quote Originally Posted by New knee
    I have a friend who made a bag (purse size) from selvages. It is very "eye catching." I like to think that quilters are frugal people--waste not, want not.
    oh am I in big trouble..................

This may sound like I am wasting my scraps (I mean the tinniest weiniest of pieces, sometimes smaller than a 1/4" corner), but I am filling up a plastic bag and planning to make a doggie bed for my Lhasa puppy. He is usually at my feet or by my side when I am quilting, so I thought I would make him something special and easy to throw in the washer when needed. I can't believe how much of this scrap stuff I tossed before I got this brain fart to keep it for a doggie bed.

OMG, my Lhasa puppy Sammy put a 3x3" hole in the corner of my heavy, winter quilt that is on my bed and pulled out the stuffing. I was lying down with elevated blood pressure and he got the idea to tear it (clean cut). Bad, bad doggy, but after looking into his big brown eyes I couldn't stay mad at him for long. I guess I will needle and thread it and mark this scar as a short story every time I see it.

Good thing he's not destructive, or he would have a field day at my bookcase with all my quilting things on it. Now that I think about it, I know why he did that. When I first brought him home he didn't bother chewing anything, but once I gave him a chew bone he started on shoes too. Took the bones away and it stopped. My granddaughter took out some of his chew toys and it started over again. Hopefully it won't happen again.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast