Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric Trimmings >

Fabric Trimmings

Fabric Trimmings

Old 08-23-2010, 06:26 AM

I use my small scraps as either a pillow stuffing for the dogs or as piecing for a new pot holder. The scaps are just the right size for pot holders and you can get some really pretty ones from the scaps that you used in your quilts or small projects.
Old 08-23-2010, 07:47 AM

I recently posted a tutorial under "garbage can fabrics" that uses these types of trimmings and snippets. It is one way to get "fabric" out of stuff that might otherwise go into the trash can. Check it out and see if it interests you.
Old 08-23-2010, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by The Bag Lady
What do you do with all your snippets and trimmings from blocks etc. Do you display them in a jar or save them in a box or what. I have quite a few and hate to throw them away.
I save some for my quilt journal. I save only those that are larger than an inch. I can use even crumbs in paper-piecing, but the others, especially those long strips from evening up my fabric--those go straight into the trash. My goodness, my fabric will take over the house if I don't keep it under control, and I doubt anyone will find a use for the stuff I throw away.
Old 08-23-2010, 09:55 AM

My 2,4,& 6 year old strow them out all over the house. They like to 'make' things with them. Until I find the cat tied up in the corner I am happy to let them occupy themselves with the scraps. I did see a blog on here the other day where someone attached them to iron-on interfacing and made a really cool looking quilt. Couldn't find the link. I will probably start making a jar with my dog ears. That is kinda neat.
Old 08-23-2010, 11:17 AM

Some quilt guilds make dog beds and they request scraps of fabric and batting for the dog bed "stuffing".
Old 08-23-2010, 12:42 PM

Very smart idea to use a flat rate box and then send to someone who wants them for the cost of shipping!

Originally Posted by cjomomma
Originally Posted by The Bag Lady
What do you do with all your snippets and trimmings from blocks etc. Do you display them in a jar or save them in a box or what. I have quite a few and hate to throw them away.
I keep a medium flat rate box under my desk and when it is over flowing I offer it for the cost of shipping. There is always someone on here that will take it off your hands no matter the size of scraps. A great way to recycle. I kept fooling myself into thinking I would use them, not anymore.
Old 08-23-2010, 03:19 PM

One of my quilt groups, Quilting Angels, collects snippets, pieces, and batting trimmings. Then once a year we gather round with rotary cutters and chop it all up. We make fabric pillows of all sizes, stuff them with the trimmings, and donate them to the local animal shelter. We just finished making 184 pet beds last month!!!
Old 08-23-2010, 03:24 PM

Dear Baloonatic-That sounds like a neat idea for the pets. Thanks. Also, sthe quilt shop that I use the most told me stos br ing in my trimmings etc. and put them in their box for things slike that and then when I need something to come and help myself.
Old 08-23-2010, 04:03 PM

We have people in our area tht use them for filling dog beds. Our guild collects scraps for them.
Old 08-23-2010, 04:07 PM

The long thin lengths I use for tying vines, etc. Small strings, snippets, during the spring season, I spread out near trees for birds to add color to their nests.