Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Fabric Trimmings (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/fabric-trimmings-t60557.html)

The Bag Lady 08-21-2010 05:22 AM

What do you do with all your snippets and trimmings from blocks etc. Do you display them in a jar or save them in a box or what. I have quite a few and hate to throw them away.

raptureready 08-21-2010 05:34 AM

Displaying them in a jar sounds good. Or, you can mail them to another member that will use them. There's a lady on here that mails me her selvages because when I get enough I'm going to make a quilt (Maybe a Rocky Road to Kansas) with them.

sueisallaboutquilts 08-21-2010 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by raptureready
Displaying them in a jar sounds good. Or, you can mail them to another member that will use them. There's a lady on here that mails me her selvages because when I get enough I'm going to make a quilt (Maybe a Rocky Road to Kansas) with them.

Rapture, what sizes?? I'd be glad to save some for you!

raptureready 08-21-2010 05:45 AM

I like them with some of the fabric on them but there doesn't have to be. The writing is what's important to me. The bit of fabic is so that I won't have to sew into the writing. Someone posted on here about using adding machine paper to make scrappy strips and I may use that for my Selvaged Quilt. I'm thinking that I may sew the selvages on the strips of paper, cut them to the same length then sew a small corner on both ends and a large triangle on each side. As soon as I get my 4 or 5 Christmas gift quilts done I'm going to start on this one.

sueisallaboutquilts 08-21-2010 05:55 AM

So you mean the selveges??? I'd be glad to save some! I also have those Moda thingies you hold jelly rolls together with.
(Brain not working today) Just let me know.
I have about 6 WIP right now and have been cutting up a storm :)

CarrieAnne 08-21-2010 06:01 AM

Rapture ready, does it matter if the salvages are short? I usually buya third of a yard, because I love scrappy quilts. If that is long enough, I would save mine for you too.

cjomomma 08-21-2010 06:28 AM

Originally Posted by The Bag Lady
What do you do with all your snippets and trimmings from blocks etc. Do you display them in a jar or save them in a box or what. I have quite a few and hate to throw them away.

I keep a medium flat rate box under my desk and when it is over flowing I offer it for the cost of shipping. There is always someone on here that will take it off your hands no matter the size of scraps. A great way to recycle. I kept fooling myself into thinking I would use them, not anymore.

Luv Quilts and Cats 08-21-2010 06:32 AM

There are people on the board who would love your scraps. Do a search for scraps. Some will even take the tiniest scraps and use them if you don't want to.

The Bag Lady 08-21-2010 06:50 AM

No, I am not talking about the selvedges. I am talking about the fabric that is trimmed off when you square up a block or whatever.

The Bag Lady 08-21-2010 06:52 AM

Thanks, I will have to check when I have more time to raoam around.