Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric Waste >

Fabric Waste

Fabric Waste

Old 12-01-2010, 11:45 AM

I pretty much save anything 1 1/2 and bigger of course. Smaller snips I save for a friend who might want to use to make dog/cat pillows. Or I've start putting them in my compost bin.

warm quilt hugs, sue in CA
Old 12-01-2010, 06:33 PM
JAS

If one needs to figure out waste here would be one way:
Weigh out the fabric ..
Divide the total weight of the yardage into the waste weight that equals the % of waste.(it will come out in a fraction example : .40) now multiply that fraction times the cost of yardage and the product is the amount of $ wasted..

Example : 1yd @ $10.00 weighing out at 16 oz. total
say your waste weighs out at 3.2 ozs. total

Divide the 16 ozs (yardage) into the 3.2 ozs (waste) that would equal .20 (or 20%). Now take the .20 (waste percentage) multiply times the $10.00(yardage cost) this will equal $2.00 (cost of waste).
Old 12-01-2010, 07:25 PM

WOW, when you actually answer the original question, and put it into dollars and cents that way, it really does make an impact. Now I will be even more aware of every scrap that tries to jump into the trash. I need to locate a local end source for my strings and things since I don't make critter beds, etc. I gave both our dog and cat quilties and pillows and they turned their little noses up at them. LOL
The only ones they want to lay on are the ones that are meant for people.
Old 12-01-2010, 08:37 PM
JAS

I hoped it did not sound way over done...

It also comes down to what the pattern is.. Curves would likely give you more waste.

I really like to try to not waste any fabric, so what can not be used in this top can find a home in another project.. I would say anything under a 1/2" wide likely does get tosssed and even those someone may have come up with a project for...

Our h- pup likes to be with us so a doggie bed he would laugh at..but a blanket on the bed would be just fine...I surpose the bits of waste used for bedding it economical, but I have concerns about them swallowing the bits...our house dog would not, but our out side dog(kenneled) would eat it. no joking...I can not believe fibers would digest well... he prefers a bed of straw and shavings and anything else in his kennel is just fair game...
Old 12-01-2010, 08:43 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by JAS
If one needs to figure out waste here would be one way:
Weigh out the fabric ..
Divide the total weight of the yardage into the waste weight that equals the % of waste.(it will come out in a fraction example : .40) now multiply that fraction times the cost of yardage and the product is the amount of $ wasted..

Example : 1yd @ $10.00 weighing out at 16 oz. total
say your waste weighs out at 3.2 ozs. total

Divide the 16 ozs (yardage) into the 3.2 ozs (waste) that would equal .20 (or 20%). Now take the .20 (waste percentage) multiply times the $10.00(yardage cost) this will equal $2.00 (cost of waste).
I figure an inch the width of fabric is .028 of a yard. Multiply that by the price per yard and you get the value of just 1" wof, ie .028 x 9.00 = $ .252 an inch wof or .028 x 10.00= $ .28 an inch wof. I don't like to throw quarters away if I can use them!
Old 12-01-2010, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by wildyard
WOW, when you actually answer the original question, and put it into dollars and cents that way, it really does make an impact. Now I will be even more aware of every scrap that tries to jump into the trash. I need to locate a local end source for my strings and things since I don't make critter beds, etc. I gave both our dog and cat quilties and pillows and they turned their little noses up at them. LOL
The only ones they want to lay on are the ones that are meant for people.
On one of her shows Georgia Bonesteel had some stuffed items -can't remember but might have been a cat or dog- sitting on her shelf or mantle. Any way she would save her "dog ears" corners trimmed from triangle patches-etc. and used them to stuff her shelf sitters.
Old 12-01-2010, 09:01 PM
JAS

Another good way to look at it...Yes and it only takes 4 of them to make that dallor.
Reason I figured by weight is we have odd shapes/sizes left over and it would be hard for me to figure it in inches...

I love doing applique work and bits fit right in...the more the you save the more you have to choose from...
Old 12-03-2010, 03:53 PM

I would love to have any scraps anyone wants to be rid of. I will pay postage.