Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
fabrics before vs. after >

fabrics before vs. after

fabrics before vs. after

Old 03-26-2011, 09:11 PM

I have the same problem, sometimes I don't even like it on the bolt until I see something made from it! :)
Old 03-26-2011, 09:56 PM

Same here. I can't tell you how many quilts I've seen here and on blogs and when I go to look at that fabric line somewhere I think I don't like it (but usually buy it anyway).
Old 03-26-2011, 10:55 PM

I'm kind of the opposite. I love all the pre-cuts. I guess, it's because I'm not the best at putting fabrics together and this is an easy an convenient way to know the fabrics play well together.
Old 03-27-2011, 02:22 AM

I know what you mean. I worked at a LQS years ago and started to appreciate fabrics I wouldn’t have otherwise used. I used to love country looking quilts (and still do) but came to love bright colors when working there. Even though a fabric may not appear that pretty it can go beautifully with other fabrics. The least favorite fabric I have is one I use frequently because it plays so nicely with other fabrics.
Old 03-27-2011, 03:30 AM

Originally Posted by kriscraft99
Why is it when I see a grouping of fabrics, like in a charm pack or a jelly roll, I don't think they are that pretty but once I see something created from them, I love them?

Am I the only one?

I really didn't like the Fandango line but I just saw a quilt made from it and I'm in love.

I feel the same way plus I have always felt that I got a whole lot less for my money in buying pre-cuts versus the yardage I did like regardles of pattern. I realize the ease of not cutting for many people but I just prefer to do it all on my own and purchase only the fabrics I truly like from whatever the particular line may be. I imagine until my hands start giving me problems I will probably continue to do it this way.
Old 08-15-2011, 09:29 AM
Power Poster

Sometimes a fabric looks so much better in someone else's cart, arms, or stack than it did on the shelf.
Old 08-15-2011, 11:57 AM

Oh I thought it was ME ! I was just looking at my three jelly rolls this a.m., touching them, thinking about them but AFRAID TO TAKE THEM APART ! Even printed off instructions this a.m. on how to make a quick J.R. quilt....my today excuse is that I've got so many other projects going on...am I working on them, NO,I'm on the Board !

I got a package from my DD in MO today;she knows that I started off with a rag quilt; she bought me a pattern (Simp) that shows several rag quilts,one dinosaur(sp?)in particular that would be cute made with jeans......

I've got two pieces of chocolate/teal blue fabric and found a JR with the same family of colors and want to make a quilt of them.....haven't approached it yet...just looking at it. The funny thing is chocolate/teal is not even my favorite color palette !
Old 08-15-2011, 12:09 PM

SO funny...I am right there with you. It's like my dots....I never would have done one and now that I was shown a particular pattern...I'm hooked. And the Fandango line rocks. I saw the quilt she posted too. Awesome. I'm sure there are lots more of us in this quilty boat. LOL