Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Failed Project >

Failed Project

Failed Project

Old 05-12-2011, 02:57 AM

Made a queen size log cabin quilt and am in the process of quilting it by hand. Will I ever be glad when I am done!! I have had trouble since first starting it with one thing or another....liked the color when I picked it out, liked the pattern when I was putting it together, but absolutely will be glad to have it finished and give it away to some poor soul.
Is there anyone else that has had the same experience? Am ready to "lick my wounds" and move on to the next project! :thumbdown:
Old 05-12-2011, 03:00 AM

My first quilt was a log cabin as well, a KING size. I also was quilting it by hand.. but unlike you, I didn't have the determination to finish it. In fact, I put it in a box and didn't quilt another thing for 15 years. It's still in the loft.
Old 05-12-2011, 03:04 AM

Working on a quilt right now that I absolutely shudder everytime I take it out to work on it...:)
Old 05-12-2011, 03:20 AM

Its not a failure, its just unfinished. I've never made a log cabin quilt, but just recently I decided to piece blocks for a four inch border. Boy was I sorry!! I had to make 84 blocks (aircastle - one large triangle and two smaller ones), then square them all up to size. I thought I was never going to finish, and got so sick of it I would have hidden it away if it weren't for the encouragement of my GOM.!! So I know exactly what you mean.

The funny thing is, I'm quite proud of the border now it is all put together and on the quilt. Keep going. I'll bet when the quilt top is finished it will look fantastic, and in any case, at least it will be a quilt to remember!!
Old 05-12-2011, 03:22 AM

I'd take a break and make something small and rewarding like a wall hanging! Perhaps this will provide renewed energy for your large project.
Old 05-12-2011, 03:35 AM

I have a BOM that I have been working on for 3 plus years, just a bad experience from day one. I am determined to get it done. Actually, it is now my next project,nothing else til I get this done and out of my HAIR!!!!
Old 05-12-2011, 04:31 AM

Thanks for the encouragement! I can always count on this forum and everyone's advice to see me through!!
Old 05-12-2011, 04:34 AM
Power Poster

Log Cabins are among my favorite quilts but I think hand quilting one would be a bit hard with all those seams involved. I know the feeling too. You are not alone :)
Old 05-12-2011, 06:38 AM

Yes indeed, I too am working on a large log cabin quilt.... I am making myself finish it, although I am doing the quilting by machine, I am not enjoying it so much. But if I put it away, I won't get it back out... so better to just keep going. Almost done! YAY :thumbup:
Old 05-12-2011, 07:44 AM

Mine was a rail fence queen sized...machine pieced, but hand quilted....took forever....put that down and didn't pick up another project for close to 15 yrs!

Don't know that i will ever make another one that big...nor will I ever hand quilt again!