Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
False Praise >

False Praise

False Praise

Old 04-26-2011, 07:06 AM

My reference to colour choice had more to do with contrast than personal taste. I took a drunkard's path course with all skill levels represented. One of the ladies in the class had chosen two calico prints of the same value. When she was putting her paths together they didn't look the same as most of the others. She was perplexed as to why. So a couple of us told her that it needed more contrast. She was grateful.

I have seen several quilts that were really well made, but because there wasn't much contrast, the pattern didn't show as well. That's what I meant.
Old 04-26-2011, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by hobo2000
If I can't find something to compliment, I don't say anything.
This what My Maw always said . Just because its not to your liking doesn't mean some one didn't put a lot of work & love into a project. You can always find something nice to say because your not perfect !!!!!!!!!
Old 04-26-2011, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom
When I see a pic of a first quilt or block by a new quilter, and their post starts with something like 'yippee - look what I did!' ... the block could be totally wonky but I wouldn't dare say a word. At that point of "oh my God I actually sewed a bunch of pieces together" - let them have that glory. I would prefer to see them retain that excitement and passion over the possibility of dashing it by saying it isn't right (which may make them think quilting is just too hard!). If they decide they love quilting they'll be seeing more quilts, the more they see the more they'll see the differences, and hopefully the more they will learn.

And as a new quilter, I thank you for this! Trust me, I see the hugemongous mistakes in my quilt, and I'm sure others do to, especially if they look closely. I am just glad that I actually got it done. I'm working hard on my next quilt, and hoping there are fewer mistakes visible on it.
Old 04-26-2011, 07:14 AM

wonderful, great resposes here-this is really thought provoking-and i am happy to report, there has been no negative, hurtful resposes-thanks to all who posted-i have read every one, and like the great people you are, learned a lot-that is why i joined, and come to this board daily :) thanks for being my friends
Old 04-26-2011, 07:15 AM
Power Poster

I think when someone posts something with a statement like "the borders are really wavy on this top" - the person is aware that it isn't as good as he/she can make it - but perhaps does not know how to fix/improve/change it -

and something can be done to improve it at that point -

is it doing the person a favor by saying "oh, it doesn't matter" etc etc etc?

Will the person be happy with it several years down the road when a relatively easy change would/could have made it much better?
Old 04-26-2011, 07:17 AM

I dont believe in "false praise", however, I do believe in either not saying anything if you dont have something nice to say about the project. Usually, you can compliment SOMETHING. ALSO, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. Many might think a quilt is "stunning" "love choice of colors" "fabulous" and others might find the same project "ugly" "hate the colors" etc. Find what you like about something or just dont comment.
Old 04-26-2011, 07:18 AM

The skill level on the board is from absolute beginners to extremely experienced. There is something good in whatever quilt is posted, even one that the QP might think in horrendous. Remember, the person put in hours of their time trying to make something. It may be their first quilt or their first attempt at a new technique.

I firmly believe their are no experts in quilting and even the ugliest and most mistake filled quilt has beauty.
Old 04-26-2011, 07:35 AM

Honesty can be brutal. If someone asks for suggestions, I'll give constructive feedback. It is a rare person who doesn't know problems with their own work. I figure if they want my critique they will ask for it. If they don't ask for it, I keep my mouth shut. I don't believe everyone is entitled to my opinion.
Old 04-26-2011, 07:38 AM

We all learn from our mistakes and depending on our level of quilting even professional quilters make mistakes,that is part of life. We learn from our mistakes. What I don't agree with is the way it is said sometimes,it can make or break someones confidence. I remember going to a quilt show and told an older lady that I was a quilter too (beginner) but I sew my pieces together by machine she said that's not quilting I was so hurt I almost cried then someone said to me it's a new world out there and she only sees her way as the right way if I would of listened to her I would not be quilting today but here I am and I still make mistakes. Be careful how you give advice, your way may not be everyone's way and there are no quilting police out there. No one is perfect. Give credit for them trying so hard they will improve as time goes on we all started as beginners. Your color scheme may not be theirs. Everyone has an opinion and is entitled to their own opinion, but don't try to make yours the right one. .....Remember the poem Quilt of Holes it was a beautiful. We all see things in a different light.
Old 04-26-2011, 07:38 AM

I always say,"It is your quilt, your creation". How does someone know it is a mistake? Maybe you planned it that way. I have a friend who is a perfectionist. She looses sleep if every seam doesn't match up exactly.I don't think she enjoys quilting because she is so perfect. I always tell her this. I do agree with others above, if you can't say something nice, don't say anything. I don't think someone would ask for advice/opinions if they didn't mean it. Don't get critical. Quilting should be something we enjoy doing.